The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yup.  I'm not sure if you've ever seen/worn an N95 mask, but the bands are about as low-tech as you can get.  You could literally staple on rubber bands and it would work just as well.  The important part is the mask itself.

been wearing them and other assorted filtration masks most of my life, Doc. they have come a long way in the recent past and the elastic does last quite a bit longer than it used to.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

been wearing them and other assorted filtration masks most of my life, Doc. they have come a long way in the recent past and the elastic does last quite a bit longer than it used to.

Sorry Foxx, must have missed it when you said that.  And I have no doubt about the elastics (haven't had one for more than a couple weeks myself to verify it) but as we know, that's the least of concerns with the mask, if not no concern at all.

And as I said, most of these expiration dates are to help manufacturers move product.  We have a pharmacist who comes every 3 months to check and make sure we toss outdated meds who told me they're good for at least a year after the expiration.  I kidded him one time when he found an outdate, but within a year, and asked him why he's dinging us.

• Like (+1) 1

Trump up

He's taking the #fakenews to task about how they are reporting the US has more deaths (he is explaining per capita to them). He's also going on with China has the more deaths, "you know it, I know, but you are not reporting it... why is that?"

Texas and Vermont is phase 1 opening on Monday.
Montana Friday
May 1st for a buncha other states.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Paycheck protection program... he's asking the Democrats to get it done (the extra $250B), should be bipartisan.
This is supporting 30M American jobs.
He's talking about a small business coffee shop who is very grateful for the program (120 employees in NC).
South Dakota guy with 15 guys have been hired back and the restaurant is still open.

I used to read these were Democratic programs, not Republican programs, things have switched around. (paraphrased)

Nationwide we have conducted over 4M tests. Double conducted by any other country on earth (more than two times).
He had a leadership talk with other countries today, and they asked about our testing.
NY per capita testing is 67% higher than Singapore,  64% high than South Korea, and 47% (this may be the wrong #) than Australia.

Feds are working with states so the governors can use the tremendous unused lab capabilities we have.

Mexico needs ventilators, and the US will be helping them out (he has said this before).

Some people are trying to politicize testing. (duh)
If there is a surge, we can have ventilators to the states in hours (there is a stockpile of about 10K).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry Foxx, must have missed it when you said that.  And I have no doubt about the elastics (haven't had one for more than a couple weeks myself to verify it) but as we know, that's the least of concerns with the mask, if not no concern at all.

And as I said, most of these expiration dates are to help manufacturers move product.  We have a pharmacist who comes every 3 months to check and make sure we toss outdated meds who told me they're good for at least a year after the expiration.  I kidded him one time when he found an outdate, but within a year, and asked him why he's dinging us.

no, no need to be sorry. you wouldn't have known unless you caught a certain one of my posts in the masks thread.

to be honest, the elastic deteriorating is not that big of a deal. many ways to fasten them to your face if the elastic has gotten to the failure point.

most items are good beyond their expiration date, the only question is how long. when it comes to food, smell and taste are important.

Our approach to testing is based on data, hot spots, etc

Pence is at the air force academy, no parents present, 10 feet social distancing. West Point graduation is being moved to June.
Pence had a call with Democratic Senators yesterday who I heard were "so rude" to him.  They were "fresh, nasty" and it was a "terrible thing."  (This is Trump, not Pence saying that)

18 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Orange Man Bad is sounds quite chipper today!?

He sounds feisty to me.

Taking the #fakenews to task! HA! Saying that the crime of Russia was by the other side.  As you can see what by what has been released... Maggie Haberman is being beat on for saying Mark Meadows was crying as retribution for being placed in that Trump video earlier this week. He's taking a bat to her.

"Sources say" the press should use a name. The sources do not exist.

Oy, he just pointed out these presser reach people by cutting through the #fakenews

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Our approach to testing is based on data, hot spots, etc

Pence is at the air force academy, no parents present, 10 feet social distancing. West Point graduation is being moved to June.
Pence had a call with Democratic Senators yesterday who I heard were "so rude" to him.  They were "fresh, nasty" and it was a "terrible thing."  (This is Trump, not Pence saying that)

He sounds feisty to me.

Taking the #fakenews to task! HA! Saying that the crime of Russia was by the other side.  As you can see what by what has been released...

Can we please fast forward to the Q&A??

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A good friend of mine got free tix to see Patton Oswalt from another friend of ours who couldn't make the show.  It was terrible.  Glad I didn't pay for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Dr Birx has a slide up of deaths per 100K. China is last, and Iran was third lowest. Trump went up to that slide and pointed to it and said, "Does anyone believe that?" (pointed to those two).
Birx is going on that the first country has a moral obligation to share this information. She is praising European countries for their transparency.

Trump: The United States is sending $6B a year on AIDS to Africa. (From me - I think this was under George W. Bush) Very well spent.
WHO - we are finding more and more problems. There are other ways we can spend $500M where people can be helped.
Nih is giving away a lot of money. Looking into this also ($32B a year).
This is a lot of money, we want to make sure it is spent wisely.

Looking into the money that was spent to Wuhan lab. This is the lab people are talking about.

A lot of waste in our government, and we are looking into that.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Clearly Trump woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Wasn't a good look the first 20 minutes.  The point with Dr. Birx was telling, many of us here already knew it but it is important for the public to see it in a chart.

On a side note, there was a small random sampling of an antibody test in Massachusetts that showed close to 1/3 of the people who had contracted the Virus.

Around a third of participants in a Massachusetts study tested positive for antibodies linked with coronavirus, according to researchers.

The Mass. General study took samples from 200 residents on the street in Chelsea, MA. Participants remained anonymous and provided a drop of blood to researchers, who were able to produce a result in ten minutes with a rapid test.

Sixty-four of the participants tested positive – a “sobering” result, according to Thomas Ambrosino, Chelsea’s city manager.

“We've long thought that the reported numbers are vastly under-counting what the actual infection is," Ambrosino told the Boston Globe. “Those reported numbers are based on positive COVID-19 tests, and we're all aware that a very, very small percentage of people in Chelsea and everywhere are getting COVID-19 tests."

He added: “Still, it's kind of sobering that 30 percent of a random group of 200 people that are showing no symptoms are, in fact, infected. It's all the more reason for everyone to be practicing physical distancing."

Press: What if China is responsible, what would you do?
Trump: If it was a mistake, that is one thing... knowingly? There should be consequences.

(remember, all these are paraphrased, go find the clips)

Press: Last week you claimed you were in charge of everything, but why don't you use the awesome powers of the presidency? (crazy question started one way, ended another)
Trump:  We are doing it. 

This is a contentious exchange.  Angus King is  a democrat and that was totally staged.

Press: Asking about the Paul Sperry tweet about Ramadan
Trump: I have seen a great disparity. Anti-Israel from the Democrats.  I would be interested to see that as they go after Christian churches. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Press: Why are the Democrats against funding that extra $250B?
Trump: Politics. Names Pelosi and Schumer. Nancy Pelosi sits in her house and San Fran and will not come back. She needs to come back.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

A good friend of mine got free tix to see Patton Oswalt from another friend of ours who couldn't make the show.  It was terrible.  Glad I didn't pay for it.

Patton Oswald!  Of course Patton Oswald!  Who else would it be other than Patton Oswald.  Chief?  I have one question. Who is Patton Oswald?