The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 hours ago, meazza said:

:(

No because the symptoms can be very light or non existent for most people. 

are a persons light symptoms analogous with not being  contagious to others? Their bodily fluids would still contain virus even if they weren't overtly symptomatic. I don't know the answer to this I doubt anyone does at this point conclusively.

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

These are stressful times, and I’m sorry to have caused PTSD regarding Furlough Fridays, but you missed the point. 

I appreciate the feedback on the impact to you personally, your thoughts on reductions in pay and impact on benefits.  One of the reasons I like this message board is that sometimes I learn things I did not know before.  That allows me to consider things I hadn’t considered previously, and in some small way helps me grow.

My point was that in these difficult times, there are those who can be considered as having more/better than others.  There are those with connections and resources that others do not have.  I don’t see where you disagree pd with that, in fact, it seems to be your perspective as well.  

For context, you’re anticipating a reduction in salary of 10%.  I won’t assume there will not be an impact on your other benefits, you’ve already taken me to the woodshed on the reduced income.  No one wants that, no one is happy about that, and I certainly don’t wish it upon you.  

That said, when considering haves and have nots, I’d think we would both agree that someone who lost their job, someone in hospitality, a waiter, a hair dresser, construction worker might, pound for pound, be worse off than you or me.  I don’t see how that’s controversial, a knock on teachers or something that requires extended debate.  I think you’re projecting.

I read what I wrote, see nothing close to whining about teachers and their deals, and have no beef with teachers, government employees or the like. None, zero, zip. That said, I stand by my commentary that when property and school tax bills come out, the contribution will not be reduced by 16-20% to offset a reduction in services and the fact that my income may/may not have dropped or gone away.   Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised, since the governor of NY and our president have encouraged, cajoled and twisted corporate arms to do more to help the people in need.  

You’ve been quite vocal about Joe 2020.  A substantial platform of his campaign deals with economic injustice, taxing the rich, and...haves v have nots.  The usual identity politics. Why get all bent out of shape when I simply pointed out the truth?  You’re a have, you just don’t know it. 

Dude. Come on. 

You could have made your point just as easily by saying "teachers." Instead you singled me out by name, calling me into the fray of a conversation in a forum where lines are clearly drawn, politically speaking.  

And you and I clearly are not on the same side of the line, politically speaking.

That combined with all the misguided vitriol dished out here regarding the teaching profession--and it's hard to keep track of the numerous posters who've insulted me in my profession, my profession itself, or both--you'd understand my response was pretty reasonable considering the underlying "line drawn in the sand" connotation of your post.

I don't wish loss of income or job loss especially on anyone. Whatever money you've already lost, I'm truly sorry. I'm even more sorry for those in the hospitality industry you mention above, because a lot/most of them are low income workers in perhaps one of the few jobs they're qualified for due to a lack of education, among other circumstances.

I'm thankful that the profession I chose, the profession that truly has been a calling for me, also provides extreme stability for me. Me getting paid as I figure out this whole distance learning thing from home is a Godsend. I'm fine shouldering some of the burden with some form of a paycut. 7-8% is the number I fall on because the Governor claims a $1.5 billion shortfall to make up as the reason for the 20% paycut to 40,000 government workers. Considering we have $1 billion in a rainy day fund and it's pouring, if we use most of the rainy day fund (keeping at least a fraction in there) then distribute pay cuts after that... well, it's more reasonable and moderately manageable, at least for me.

It won't be manageable for a lot of state workers, though, which is why I also hope our Unions collectively continue to fight, which they will.

Whatever the outcome, I will deal and manage. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to be living in Hawai'i during this Pandemic. I'm able to be outside every day. I surf 5 or 6 days a week in isolated, empty spots. My wife and I walk on weekends.

I hope that your situation gets better quickly  :beer:

52 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I explained it. But you should watch the full news conference and see for yourself. 

They laid out how the issue with testing isn't the lack of availability, but the lack of the governors realizing WHERE the testing centers are outside of the hospitals. The Quest labs et al. Both Fauci before that statement, and Blix after that clip, went into granular detail about how the testing would work and how there is, right now, more than enough capacity to not only begin Phase one, but carry us through it. 

The hill you've chosen to die on isn't about other times Fauci has spoken. It's about this comment. Which you have gravely misinterpreted because you want to have your opinions validated rather than understand the truth. It's a dangerous way to consume information in  the midst of a (dis)information war. 

Fauci couches everything in doctor speak, because that's what he is. And you can't compare him or Blix to Trump's style of speaking. One uses a hammer, the other a scalpel. But the reality is that Fauci signed off on phase one -- and its testing capabilities, both in their meetings and in that very press conference. That's a fact, not spin. 

To argue that he didn't say what he clearly said -- based on a 1 minute clip of a 1.5 hour news conference is a poor way to try to understand a topic. Be better. Do better. I believe you can. It starts by realizing your news sources aren't being honest with you. That requires YOU (and all of us) to do more heavy lifting than usual. 

If Magox posts a link to support his POV, it should support his POV.  If something 20 minutes before or after was said that adds context to the link that didn't support his POV, then he should provide it.  If you know of something that happened 20 minutes before or after that adds context to the link, then you should provide it.  That seems pretty basic to this type of board.  

I didn't look for it because I watched the link that Magox provided.  Also I've watched Fauci quite a bit, including full news conferences where Trump provides lies and misinformation, and I have never seen him come close to saying we are ready for phase 1.  Everything seems to be guidelines to determine whether or not a state is ready for phase 1.  That is something that will happen in the future.  If you have something with him saying otherwise, please provide it.

54 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... Uh, you brought up capacity.

The second of my quotes is DIRECTLY from the Open Up America guides and...the issue of capacity vs capability had already been discussed above. 

No one is responding to the asymptomatic testing or surveillance. 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That doesn’t answer the question. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of cases across the country. I’ve yet to hear of a single case where the husband and wife were both hospitalized, leaving kids with nowhere to go. Have you?

It’s actually the exact opposite. Because people are staying PUBLICLY distant I’m guessing that they’re staying PRIVATELY closer. I’d love it if one the ‘journalist’ gadflies would ask Dr Brix about this. I’m pretty sure she’d have a hypothesis.

hospitalizations don't tell the entire tale though.   Cuomo then his wife, George Stephanopulous after his wife, both partners became covid-19 positive both one after the other.  To me it speaks to the insidious nature of how contagious and easily spread it is. Wouldn't it be logical that they would have tried to separate and Not infect their spouse? Of course. Their (likely) efforts were ultimately futile. How long it hibernates within any given person before becoming contagious is also something I don't think anyone knows yet.

Slate: "The protester who was arrested in Raleigh was charged because she, like everyone around her, had violated public health orders by flaunting social distancing measures."

I'm reading "What the People Organizing 'Reopen the Businesses' Protests Are Thinking/A movement started in part by small-business owners hoping to save their shops has spiraled into something much different" by Molly Olmstead in Slate, and I'd like to take instruction on what people the author doesn't like are really thinking but I got hung up on that one sentence.

I mean, how exactly would you "violated public health orders by flaunting social distancing measures"? Did the authorities forbid people go about proclaiming Whoa! Look at me! I am 6 feet away from everybody — at least! 6 feet, I tell you!! I am so appropriately distant! I am the Queen of Distance!?

Aside from that flaunt/flout gaffe, Olmstead says there are 2 different kinds of motivation for these protests — preserving local businesses and protecting personal freedom. The personal-freedom people tend to be more "stridently political," while the business-oriented folk are "more collaborative and conciliatory."

Harvard, with $40 billion endowment, to receive $9 million as part of the federal government’s coronavirus relief package

• Like (+1) 1

The silver lining here is, if 30% have had at, they are in the clear for at least a while 

Around a third of participants in a Massachusetts study tested positive for antibodies linked with coronavirus, according to researchers.

The Mass. General study took samples from 200 residents on the street in Chelsea, MA. Participants remained anonymous and provided a drop of blood to researchers, who were able to produce a result in ten minutes with a rapid test.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

Sixty-four of the participants tested positive – a “sobering” result, according to Thomas Ambrosino, Chelsea’s city manager.

“We've long thought that the reported numbers are vastly under-counting what the actual infection is," Ambrosino told the Boston Globe. “Those reported numbers are based on positive COVID-19 tests, and we're all aware that a very, very small percentage of people in Chelsea and everywhere are getting COVID-19 tests."

He added: “Still, it's kind of sobering that 30 percent of a random group of 200 people that are showing no symptoms are, in fact, infected. It's all the more reason for everyone to be practicing physical distancing."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/third-blood-samples-massachusetts-study-coronavirus

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

The silver lining here is, if 30% have had at, they are in the clear for at least a while 

https://www.foxnews.com/science/third-blood-samples-massachusetts-study-coronavirus

It is interesting that his conclusion is “based on this, we really need to social distance,” and mine would be, let’s protect the vulnerable, make good decisions, and get back to work because it isn’t as bad as we thought, though it sure is contagious!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Dude. Come on. 

You could have made your point just as easily by saying "teachers." Instead you singled me out by name, calling me into the fray of a conversation in a forum where lines are clearly drawn, politically speaking.  

And you and I clearly are not on the same side of the line, politically speaking.

That combined with all the misguided vitriol dished out here regarding the teaching profession--and it's hard to keep track of the numerous posters who've insulted me in my profession, my profession itself, or both--you'd understand my response was pretty reasonable considering the underlying "line drawn in the sand" connotation of your post.

I don't wish loss of income or job loss especially on anyone. Whatever money you've already lost, I'm truly sorry. I'm even more sorry for those in the hospitality industry you mention above, because a lot/most of them are low income workers in perhaps one of the few jobs they're qualified for due to a lack of education, among other circumstances.

I'm thankful that the profession I chose, the profession that truly has been a calling for me, also provides extreme stability for me. Me getting paid as I figure out this whole distance learning thing from home is a Godsend. I'm fine shouldering some of the burden with some form of a paycut. 7-8% is the number I fall on because the Governor claims a $1.5 billion shortfall to make up as the reason for the 20% paycut to 40,000 government workers. Considering we have $1 billion in a rainy day fund and it's pouring, if we use most of the rainy day fund (keeping at least a fraction in there) then distribute pay cuts after that... well, it's more reasonable and moderately manageable, at least for me.

It won't be manageable for a lot of state workers, though, which is why I also hope our Unions collectively continue to fight, which they will.

Whatever the outcome, I will deal and manage. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to be living in Hawai'i during this Pandemic. I'm able to be outside every day. I surf 5 or 6 days a week in isolated, empty spots. My wife and I walk on weekends.

I hope that your situation gets better quickly  :beer:

Last one, Spicolli, and we can move on. 

I follow a simple formula, and that’s the person I trash on a message board is the person who might have grown up down the street from me, might be dealing with $&#@ I am not, and might hold the door open for me at the food store next time I go.  With few exceptions I try not to be too big a dbag.

i didn’t single you out, at least not to take shots at you for being a teacher.  I remembered you sharing your occupation, and was busting your chops a little after our  unresolved straw man conversation last week. 

i started a youth sports team  with a good friend who is a middle school math teacher, I volunteered as president on the hs booster club for the same sport for one year that stretched into 9, working with and at the direction of many teachers/coaches I respect.  I have quite a few  friends who work as school teachers, quite a few more who work in NYS govt and nothing we’ve discussed here would be foreign to them, or be something they disagreed with.  Like you, they are appreciative of the choices they’ve made and would defend their profession as you have here. My parents were both union workers, my brother is a teamster and we speak regularly on a variety of issues.  Finally, my daughter works for the SUNY system, has an excellent job and we’ve discussed how fortunate she is many times, and frequently over the last 30 days while she sheltered with us.

She gets me, she’d likely roll her eyes at my characterization, but she would likely acknowledge right now she’s a “have”. 

As for your union, it’s definitely the job of a union to fight for benefits of its members.  I would suggest, humbly, that the needs of the members can often be in direct conflict with the needs of the tax paying public, as suggested in my property/school tax analogy. 

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts sent my way.   I’ll take any I can get—but my ace in the hole is I’ve worked hard to save my own rainy day fund, and as you’ve said, it’s raining cats and dogs right now.  With a little luck, we’ll get through this with our team intact.  

Don’t wait for  an apology on my Spicolli reference. I’m sticking with that one  Consider that pay back for your uncalled for LS song commentary.  

Peace out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

The N95 mask has a shelf life of 5 years.  Given the amount of time Trump has been in office, this supply should have been pretty much replenished.  HHS under the Obama administration had a contract to produce 1.5 million masks per day.  It died under Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/federal-government-spent-millions-to-ramp-up-mask-readiness-but-that-isnt-helping-now/2020/04/03/d62dda5c-74fa-11ea-a9bd-9f8b593300d0_story.html

There was also a contract to produce low cost ventilators.

You're just trying to pin the blame on anyone other than the person who presides over this problem.

why would a N-95 mask have an "expiration date" I'll look into this. To me that sounds odd especially if they are packaged securely and unopened from said factory packaging....?

2 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

why would a N-95 mask have an "expiration date" I'll look into this. To me that sounds odd especially if they are packaged securely and unopened from said factory packaging....?

not the mask per se, rather the elastic bands become brittle over time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

not the mask per se, rather the elastic bands become brittle over time.

Yup.  I'm not sure if you've ever seen/worn an N95 mask, but the bands are about as low-tech as you can get.  You could literally staple on rubber bands and it would work just as well.  The important part is the mask itself.

• Like (+1) 2