The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Ya looks like we have ACE 2 receptor in our lungs, heart, intestines, kidneys. And some other places. Just wondering if get covid19 in heart cause of ACE2 (heart failure). Does it count like that or some other failure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angiotensin-converting_enzyme_2

Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2)[5] is an enzyme attached to the outer surface (cell membranes) of cells in the lungs, arteries, heart, kidney, and intestines.[6][7] ACE2 lowers blood pressure by catalysing the cleavage of angiotensin II (a vasoconstrictor peptide) into angiotensin (1–7) (a vasodilator).[8][9][10] ACE2 also serves as the entry point into cells for some coronaviruses.[5] The human version of the enzyme is often referred to as hACE2.[11]

ACE2 counters the activity of the related angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) by reducing the amount of angiotensin-II and increasing Ang(1-7)[12] making it a promising drug target for treating cardiovascular diseases.[13][14

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hedge said:

Michigan:

The governatorial insanity is spreading far more rapidly than the virus itself.  I have not looked closely at the issue, but I seriously question the legal basis for a governor’s ability to unilaterally close almost the entirety of a state’s schools and economy.  Hopefully there are serious challenges to these orders in the legal pipeline—to the extent our court systems are still intact.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Nursing home residents are among those most likely to die from the coronavirus.Nursing home residents are among those most likely to die from the coronavirus. Chelsea Stahl / NBC News; Getty Images

April 10, 2020, 4:07 PM EDT / Updated April 10, 2020, 6:33 PM EDT
By Suzy Khimm, Laura Strickler, Andrew Blankstein and Peter Georgiev

Nearly 2,500 long-term care facilities in 36 states are battling coronavirus cases, according to data gathered by NBC News from state agencies, an explosive increase of 522 percent compared to a federal tally just 10 days ago.

The total dwarfs the last federal estimate on March 30 — based on “informal outreach” to state health departments — that more than 400 nursing homes had at least one case of the virus.

The full scale of the virus’ impact is even greater than NBC News’ tally, as key states including Florida did not provide data, and nursing homes across the United States are still struggling for access to testing.

The toll of these outbreaks is growing. NBC News tallied 2,246 deaths associated with long-term care facilities, based on responses from 24 states. This, too, is an undercount; about half of all states said they could not provide data on nursing home deaths, or declined to do so. Some states said they do not track these deaths at all.

Nursing home residents are among those most likely to die from the coronavirus, given their advanced age and the prevalence of other health conditions. But the federal government does not keep a formal tally of the number of coronavirus deaths in nursing homes or the number of facilities with infections, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

10 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Though, on WMDs, my thought at the time was that everyone in the world thought there were WMDs in Iraq.  I recall....hmm, Hans Blix (?) from the UN saying as much before the war, and I always viewed that scenario as Hussein playing chicken with the wrong Texan.  I’ve learned a lot since that time, but that was my read at the time.  

Not to digress too far but my father was actually one of the infamous UN Missile Inspectors. He had his bags packed and ready to go to Iraq when we attacked. I can assure you that he and the team of inspectors (who were assembled from many different countries) weren’t kidding around!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The governatorial insanity is spreading far more rapidly than the virus itself.  I have not looked closely at the issue, but I seriously question the legal basis for a governor’s ability to unilaterally close almost the entirety of a state’s schools and economy.  Hopefully there are serious challenges to these orders in the legal pipeline—to the extent our court systems are still intact.

Whitmer's order disallows purchase of seeds and paint and staying at your cottage (only if you are a resident---people from other states can come and stay at their cottages in Michigan). It still allows a person to go into a store and purchase lottery tickets and visit relatives in nursery homes. She very well might make a good partner for Joe Biden. -)

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, TPS said:

The death rate per million is very relevant, but the comparison you were trying to make was not correct.

You came into this thread a little later than some, so if you look back at my posts, I always acknowledged that the China ban was a good move, however, they squandered the advantage it gave them by thoroughly screwing up getting the testing up to a rapid scale.

This summarizes it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/coronavirus-testing-cdc-fda-red-tape-invs/index.html

As for underestimating the impact, the security briefings in January and February are well known now, as is the fact that some of our eminent congress critters used the inside info to sell and or buy stock.  In addition, there were very early estimates of the contagion factor that showed it was very contagious. Even some early study's by American researchers: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1

It's pretty clear the Administration is doing damage control...and looking to blame anyone but themselves...

I think you must have come into this thread a little late as the idea that, during January and February, Trump and his administration were completely oblivious to all of the overwhelming evidence of what they and the world were about to face with COVID-19 has been pretty well debunked. Based on any accurate rendition of facts regarding knowledge of the virus during that time frame, any reasonable person would conclude that, before the end of February, nobody knew what was coming - and I could list you behaviors of leaders in this country (on both sides and all levels) and leaders of countries all around the world as added evidence. 

If you want to say this administration waited too long, fine, then be equally admonishing to everyone.

I love the CNN article you cite with their continuing "unbiased" look at the facts. They love to point out that South Korea and the United States each experienced their first case within one day of each other and that on "March 13, when the total number of US coronavirus tests finally cracked 10,000, South Korea was doing that many tests daily." What they fail to mention is that South Korea was in closer proximity to China and their cases started to spike much sooner,  experiencing a spike in cases almost a full three weeks before the US experienced a similar spike. On March 13, South Korea was experiencing 156 cases per million, the United States was experiencing 3 cases per million. By the time the United States was experiencing 156 cases per million they were testing between 100,000 - 150,000 per day.

I'm not going to argue that South Korea wasn't quicker to begin testing and did far more tests per capita earlier than the US. However, I would aslo say that what happened in South Korea was an anomoly compared to what has happened in every other country. In addition, South Korea's new cases per day peaked on March 3rd, giving an indication, along with the lies coming out of China, that the virus could be contained and brought under control fairly quickly. The epicenter in Europe, Italy was just starting to spike with a little over 2000 cases and the United States still only had 124 cases.

There isn't a country with a substantial population and a significant amount of cases that has come close to replicating what happened in South Korea. The only country outside of South Korea, with any substantial number of cases, that seems to have done a good job is Germany. I would argue that what is transpiring here more closely parallels Germany than Italy, Spain, France, the UK, etc.

Would I have liked to see this country better prepared, react sooner, and have better testing capabilities sooner? Yes. However, I seriously doubt any administration would have done much differently, given the information at hand. When this is all over, all these questions can be asked, everything can be analyzed, and I am sure plenty of mistakes will be identified and there will be enough blame to go around.

However, if you insist on having to point fingers and find blame, at least have the intellectual honesty to spread it around equally. 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The whole testing clap trap is a waste of breath. Since the virus doesn’t present itself until you’re already well infected and have therefore spread it to DOZENS of other people around you, testing is a nice statistic but does literally nothing to stop the spread. That is unless the government is ready to take people who test positive away in a van and lock them up in a containment camp! However here, Trump even mentioned in passing, locking down NYC and the media went apesh&t nuts!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I posted that upthread. Dangerous precedent being set here.

Absolutely. We've been down this road before. Once the government rescinds a freedom or imposes a law/tax, we never go back.

And people are perfectly ok with this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Absolutely. We've been down this road before. Once the government rescinds a freedom or imposes a law/tax, we never go back.

And people are perfectly ok with this.

You don’t think we got our right assemble back after the Spanish Flu? And back then there were —mandatory— vaccinations. Now people are proud (and stupid) of not getting vaccinated. 

During times of war and pandemic, constitutional rights have been abridged before. Like now with the right to assemble. And there are other examples. Not to mention the everyday ones mentioned already where constitutional rights collide (yelling fire in a movie theater). 

This is bad enough without the histrionics about millions dead, bodies in the streets, and the start of a Brave New World/1984 police state. Let’s call the bull#### when we see it and fight back of it gets extended too far. 

Right now we need to control this disease To some extent and get back to work as soon as possible without risking another shutdown if/when the big case wave comes after this little wave dies down.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I blame the generalized demasculinization of our society. But yes, jarts too.

"demasculinization" as in feminine? Buddy, until you push a 10 pound spawn out your hoo-ha, you don't know toughness, pain, and suffering. Men should be so strong.

Let's just settle on people today are comfortable, spoiled, and seldom taught/learn history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1