The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 hours ago, Hedge said:

In his press conference today, DiBlasio added that if at any time the family is ready to claim the family member, they will be ready to return to the family.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The State governments are currently prohibiting most Americans’ rights to assemble, including yours because not all the rights in the Constitution always peaceably coexist. 

You have the right to assemble but not if it is a danger to others. Same with the right to free speech (the proverbial yelling “fire” in a movie theater). Same likely with the unwritten right to privacy invoked by the anti-tracking people against tracing contacts of people infected with Covid 19. When your “rights” endanger others, they are not untethered. 

So you're anti-abortion right?

41 minutes ago, TPS said:

The death rate per million is very relevant, but the comparison you were trying to make was not correct.

You came into this thread a little later than some, so if you look back at my posts, I always acknowledged that the China ban was a good move, however, they squandered the advantage it gave them by thoroughly screwing up getting the testing up to a rapid scale.

This summarizes it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/coronavirus-testing-cdc-fda-red-tape-invs/index.html

As for underestimating the impact, the security briefings in January and February are well known now, as is the fact that some of our eminent congress critters used the inside info to sell and or buy stock.  In addition, there were very early estimates of the contagion factor that showed it was very contagious. Even some early study's by American researchers: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1

It's pretty clear the Administration is doing damage control...and looking to blame anyone but themselves...

The Administration 100% knew of the danger in Jan and Feb and didn't do enough to react to it. But no one else did either. Lots of politicians, including De Blasio, Pelosi, and Trump downplayed the risk (go to restaurants, come to China town, we will be at zero) and it hurt our ability to get ready. Their conduct should be reviewed in November. 

February was a lost month to prepare but this was coming whether we had done more or not. 

Philadelphia's mayor says the city should expect to be shutdown through the summer. He might as well drop bombs on the city like they did in the 70s. Total ass to 1) think that's possible, and 2) say it. We need to get the Eff back to work. Put on your masks, work from home where possible, avoid crowds, people at risk be even more careful, wash your hands, take your temp, submit to temperature testing and tracking, test the hell out of people...and let's get this thing back up and running. 

My wife said her team just found out about about 3 nursing home outbreaks locally today. Those are just the worst. My wife's stepmother is in an over 55 community and if she leaves for any reason (she's totally fine to drive normally), they will only allow her back in if she immediately submits to a 3 week quarantine. They are freaking out in places like that, with good reason. 

Edited by shoshin

29 minutes ago, TPS said:

The death rate per million is very relevant, but the comparison you were trying to make was not correct.

You came into this thread a little later than some, so if you look back at my posts, I always acknowledged that the China ban was a good move, however, they squandered the advantage it gave them by thoroughly screwing up getting the testing up to a rapid scale.

This summarizes it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/coronavirus-testing-cdc-fda-red-tape-invs/index.html

As for underestimating the impact, the security briefings in January and February are well known now, as is the fact that some of our eminent congress critters used the inside info to sell and or buy stock.  In addition, there were very early estimates of the contagion factor that showed it was very contagious. Even some early study's by American researchers: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1

It's pretty clear the Administration is doing damage control...and looking to blame anyone but themselves...

If you are going to go that route then virtually every governor failed as well.  Considering they were all warned by Trumps task force beforehand and hardly any of them took action.

———————————————————————————-

Although concerns over coronavirus and its ramifications didn't manifest until March in the U.S., U.S. governors were briefed February 9 at the National Governors Association Winter Meeting by members of Donald Trump's coronavirus task force on the growing threat of the respiratory

Despite this, many states did not immediately react and resumed business as normal, including New Orleans going forward with Mardi Gras celebrations and parades.

Mardi Gras was celebrated February 25 with the traditional parade down Bourbon Street, which usually takes about 2.5 hours and is attended by thousands of people from all over the country – and even many international travelers.

The celebrations across the state, and specifically in New Orleans, sparked a major outbreak in Louisiana, leading it to become the fourth deadliest state in the nation with 370 deaths as of Sunday.

Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield and the government's top immunologist and infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci revealed the threats of coronavirus to governors in early February.

The NGA meeting was hosted by Chairman and Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, and attended by more than half of the nation's state leaders.

Hogan said Redfield and Fauci's statements were alarming to several governors at the time.

'The doctors and the scientists, they were telling us then exactly what they are saying now,' Hogan, a Republican, told The Washington Post in an article published Saturday.

—————————————————————————————

If you are going to be consistent then by your standard since we know that they were all explicitly warned, Cuomo, Whitmer and Bell were the most reckless characters of them all 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8189775/amp/Louisiana-governor-claims-no-idea-New-Orleans-Mardi-Gras-trigger-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you are going to go that route then virtually every governor failed as well.  Considering they were all warned by Trumps task force beforehand and hardly any of them took action.

———————————————————————————-

Although concerns over coronavirus and its ramifications didn't manifest until March in the U.S., U.S. governors were briefed February 9 at the National Governors Association Winter Meeting by members of Donald Trump's coronavirus task force on the growing threat of the respiratory

Despite this, many states did not immediately react and resumed business as normal, including New Orleans going forward with Mardi Gras celebrations and parades.

Mardi Gras was celebrated February 25 with the traditional parade down Bourbon Street, which usually takes about 2.5 hours and is attended by thousands of people from all over the country – and even many international travelers.

The celebrations across the state, and specifically in New Orleans, sparked a major outbreak in Louisiana, leading it to become the fourth deadliest state in the nation with 370 deaths as of Sunday.

Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield and the government's top immunologist and infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci revealed the threats of coronavirus to governors in early February.

The NGA meeting was hosted by Chairman and Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, and attended by more than half of the nation's state leaders.

Hogan said Redfield and Fauci's statements were alarming to several governors at the time.

'The doctors and the scientists, they were telling us then exactly what they are saying now,' Hogan, a Republican, told The Washington Post in an article published Saturday.

—————————————————————————————

If you are going to be consistent then by your standard since we know that they were all explicitly warned, Cuomo, Whitmer and Bell were the most reckless characters of them all 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8189775/amp/Louisiana-governor-claims-no-idea-New-Orleans-Mardi-Gras-trigger-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Which begs the question of which global health organization was the main clearing house of information about this virus?

Asking for a close family member.

25 minutes ago, FreddieJizzle22 said:

So you think antibiotics should be used to treat viruses????

Also I’m a BBMB “alumni”....lol.

Which drug family azithroycin belong to?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

There’s no defense for Acosta. He’s purposely giving crap to the President and has been for three years. He is pure garbage!

He is pure garbage.  The question if asked without the "happy talk" comment would have at least been relevant.

• Like (+1) 1

Chloroquine is an effective drug for malaria, lupus and chronic rheumatoid arthritis, but it has significant side effects, including gastrointestinal distress and potential permanent vision damage. It can also be deadly at a relatively low dose. 

Azithromycin is a widely-used antibiotic for bacterial infections. Side effects include upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain.

While production of these drugs increases, physicians will likely use the combination and others to treat COVID-19 under hospital conditions, if they can acquire enough doses of them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The difference is that one of the two sides is the one putting in ALL of the hard work and the other side is doing NOTHING but standing on the sideline whining about how they would have run a different play.

Are you talking about yourself personally, or just your team?

30 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

He is pure garbage.  The question if asked without the "happy talk" comment would have at least been relevant.

That was awful when said happy talk when Acosta asked. Nothing is happy about this coronavirus.  For everyone.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

So...How did the major media outlets so misread the Russia investigation, how did they misread the tea leaves, how did their sources fail them so badly, and how did they miss the malfeasance at the FISA court level and  upper echelon of the FBI?  I know how I square it, I'm just wondering how you saw it?  Was it incompetence, intentional or something else?

How did they miss out on the lack of WMDs?  How did they miss out on Hillary NOT being a slam dunk in 2016?  There are so many examples.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How did they miss out on the lack of WMDs?  How did they miss out on Hillary NOT being a slam dunk in 2016?  There are so many examples.

Reddogblitz = Reddogright.   

Though, on WMDs, my thought at the time was that everyone in the world thought there were WMDs in Iraq.  I recall....hmm, Hans Blix (?) from the UN saying as much before the war, and I always viewed that scenario as Hussein playing chicken with the wrong Texan.  I’ve learned a lot since that time, but that was my read at the time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Reddogblitz = Reddogright.   

Though, on WMDs, my thought at the time was that everyone in the world thought there were WMDs in Iraq.  I recall....hmm, Hans Blix (?) from the UN saying as much before the war, and I always viewed that scenario as Hussein playing chicken with the wrong Texan.  I’ve learned a lot since that time, but that was my read at the time.  

That whole fiasco is (obviously) a much longer discussion -- but that was not an uncommon assumption, even within the honest parts of the IC. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FreddieJizzle22 said:

So you think antibiotics should be used to treat viruses????

Also I’m a BBMB “alumni”....lol.

You wouldn't think that HCQ (and zinc) would treat a virus.  But it does.  Just like you wouldn't think a blood pressure medication would give you a *****.  But it does.

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Chloroquine is an effective drug for malaria, lupus and chronic rheumatoid arthritis, but it has significant side effects, including gastrointestinal distress and potential permanent vision damage. It can also be deadly at a relatively low dose. 

Azithromycin is a widely-used antibiotic for bacterial infections. Side effects include upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain.

While production of these drugs increases, physicians will likely use the combination and others to treat COVID-19 under hospital conditions, if they can acquire enough doses of them.

Just to clarify, hydoxychloroquine, which is what is being used, has fewer side effects than chloroquine. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3