The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

54 minutes ago, shoshin said:

So you think the abortion clinics should be allowed to be open? 

Nope. But that has nothing to do with the virus. 

Constitutional rights (actual ones, not those imagined and made up by the Supreme Court unilaterally) cannot be violated by the Government and the governmental actors because the government is not above the constitution. The constitution is above the government. It is the highest authority in this land. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Cassandra has just been disconnected from the ecmo machine. She is breathing and circulating the oxygen through her body on her own now. She is still going to be unconscious for a few days, but it is getting better.

My sister posted again. Just wondering if they do work on to figure what type of virus by blood or something if not covid19.   Sorry everyone if I said off ECMO get different things (maybe looks like now possibly for good) Wish I could go see her. 

My mother not the best shape and my brother as well. Usly have to take by phone or facebook to understand.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Cassandra has just been disconnected from the ecmo machine. She is breathing and circulating the oxygen through her body on her own now. She is still going to be unconscious for a few days, but it is getting better.

My sister posted again. Just wondering if they do work on to figure what type of virus by blood or something if not covid19.   Sorry everyone if I said off ECMO get different things (maybe looks like now possibly for good) Wish I could go see her. 

My mother not the best shape and my brother as well. Usly have to take by phone or facebook to understand.

Great news so far on Cassandra, good luck with you mother and brother

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's a reason it's called the Trump Virus and not the Cuomo Virus.

If Trump hadn't refused to give NY the life-saving supplies it needed, a lot of those people would probably be alive instead of in a mass-grave.

Rightists are nothing if not ignorant.

The entire world knows what you posted is a bunch of crap, which makes you quite possibly the dumbest muther[hucker to post on this site.

And if you've ever read ANYTHING from Tibs, Qtip or Gary, you know what an astronomical feat that is.

Well done. Just when I through you nutbags couldn't melt down any more, you go full Biden.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well, I gonna sort of defend Acosta.  We are very short on tests and on PPE.  However, tests had to be developed and PPE gear is being consumed at the highest rate ever so these are supply constraints.  The supply is rising fast but we started at zero on tests.  Trump could have spoken to that better. 

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you guys need a mask...

Sure Gal, he pretends to be offended by having a used jock strap in his face by saying 'ewww" or would he just rather have what's behind the curtain and say "yummy"? 

18 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Well, I gonna sort of defend Acosta.  We are very short on tests and on PPE.  However, tests had to be developed and PPE gear is being consumed at the highest rate ever so these are supply constraints.  The supply is rising fast but we started at zero on tests.  Trump could have spoken to that better. 

There’s no defense for Acosta. He’s purposely giving crap to the President and has been for three years. He is pure garbage!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Constitutional rights (actual ones, not those imagined and made up by the Supreme Court unilaterally) cannot be violated by the Government and the governmental actors because the government is not above the constitution. The constitution is above the government. It is the highest authority in this land. 

The Trump appointee, the conservative 5th Circuit, and the Texas Governor don’t agree with that extreme position. Times of war and times of national pandemic have allowed for suspension of certain constitutional rights. Historical fact. 

Edited by Sundancer

10 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The Trump appointee, the conservative 5th Circuit, and the Texas Governor don’t agree with that extreme position. Times of war and times of national pandemic have allowed for suspension of certain constitutional rights. Historical fact. 

The suspension of rights is the extreme position here, not the OPs. 

26 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I don’t give a rats ass what they believe. The constitution is the authority structure of the United States. If the government can change or ignore it under any circumstances, it’s worthless and we have no rule of law. It was wrong when it was blacks being enslaved, it was wrong when it was Japanese being interned, and it’s wrong when it’s done in the name of “public safety.” Anything that violates/changes/ignores the constitution without following the stringent rules set forth in the constitution to do so is wrong and illegal. Doesn’t matter which administration does it, or which government branch signs off on it. 

Also, saying that the constitution, the founding document from which our entire government springs forth is the ultimate authority is not an extreme position. It’s logical, and it’s true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Are you obeying the prohibition against your right to assemble in your state?

Just now, shoshin said:

Are you obeying the prohibition against your right to assemble in your state?

Only to the extent that the typical assemblies I would be involved in are canceled. Aside from that I’m going about my life as normal. 

But your what-about-ism is a non-starter. How I live and choose to rebel/not rebel doesn’t not have any impact on the legal right of the constitution, not the government, to determine what rights are sacred. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Only to the extent that the typical assemblies I would be involved in are canceled. Aside from that I’m going about my life as normal. 

But your what-about-ism is a non-starter. How I live and choose to rebel/not rebel doesn’t not have any impact on the legal right of the constitution, not the government, to determine what rights are sacred. 

The State governments are currently prohibiting most Americans’ rights to assemble, including yours because not all the rights in the Constitution always peaceably coexist. 

You have the right to assemble but not if it is a danger to others. Same with the right to free speech (the proverbial yelling “fire” in a movie theater). Same likely with the unwritten right to privacy invoked by the anti-tracking people against tracing contacts of people infected with Covid 19. When your “rights” endanger others, they are not untethered. 

On 4/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, Magox said:

It is relevant but you are right that there are countries on different curves.  So those numbers will continue to adjust.

In regards to Trump's words, they were not helpful.  But there was a major difference between his words and the government's actions.   Behind the scenes they were doing things, the China travel ban for some reason is dismissed by a lot of you folks as if it was meaningless.  They created this task force in January.  If we are going to be reasonable about this, I think it was everyone's hopes that there weren't going to be hardly any community spread infections and if so that the hopes that there would be some successful contact tracing.

The reality is that when we first heard about it in Washington, the fact of the matter was that it was already deep in the U.S at that time.  That Washington case was just the canary in the coal mine.  And if you listen to what Dr. Birx says, she explicitly makes the case that the reason why the U.S response was slow was because:

If you take Dr. Birx word at it's face, then I think reasonable people can agree that the U.S's efforts were greatly hampered by the lack of transparency and honesty from China.

The death rate per million is very relevant, but the comparison you were trying to make was not correct.

You came into this thread a little later than some, so if you look back at my posts, I always acknowledged that the China ban was a good move, however, they squandered the advantage it gave them by thoroughly screwing up getting the testing up to a rapid scale.

This summarizes it: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/coronavirus-testing-cdc-fda-red-tape-invs/index.html

As for underestimating the impact, the security briefings in January and February are well known now, as is the fact that some of our eminent congress critters used the inside info to sell and or buy stock.  In addition, there were very early estimates of the contagion factor that showed it was very contagious. Even some early study's by American researchers: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1

It's pretty clear the Administration is doing damage control...and looking to blame anyone but themselves...

• Like (+1) 1