The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

37 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SCIENCE !!

The mask scam continues.

Ah!  I guess when you're on TV, either rioting or mugging for the camera, you can't be infected by China virus.  Science!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Now now now! Such a thin skin....you should be proud of Surfin USA, great music, along with John and Denny, singing" and no one getting fat except Mama Cass".

Dude, didn't know surfin was a protected class. I always thought Moon Doggy and Gidg were just plain middle class. Always had the greatest respect for Haight Ashbury folks ( know that is NoCal).

Thanks for letting me know that I am stereotyping someone who calls himself SoCal.

Now don't you dare tell me to jump over the falls. 🙃

I did tell you to deal with the problems in your own country before sticking your nose into others...but it seems it’s way easier for you to assume the role of internet tough guy. That appears to be your happy place even if it does make you come across as a miserable piece of utter sh$t. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

The virus probably mutated to become less lethal combined with some immunity. That's the theory--no one knows.

I'm not either. Wasn't before I got the vaccine and am not now. It may kill me. It may not. So might my drive to Home Depot this weekend. Whatevs. 

I am against the lockdowns but are we slowing down herd immunity by doing them? I assume so but I haven't seen anything convincing on what % of the herd needs to get it before herd immunity sets in. 

Thank you. Now that we got my mistake out of the way we can have an adult conversation.  

I've not been vaccinated.  I may only get vaccinated so I can travel back east to visit my family.  We'll see.

I just find it fascinating regarding the Spanish Flu in 1919 and what caused it to, as I so incorrectly worded, go away.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Thank you. Now that we got my mistake out of the way we can have an adult conversation.  

I've not been vaccinated.  I may only get vaccinated so I can travel back east to visit my family.  We'll see.

I just find it fascinating regarding the Spanish Flu in 1919 and what caused it to, as I so incorrectly worded, go away.  

We argue about things here, and clearly disagree on some things, but let me just reach out here as a research scientist with over 40 years lab and clinical experience.  Please get vaccinated.  The science supports it.  I know you hear things about the mRNA vaccines being new, and that they haven't been tested and so on, but the real data are these:

1.  The mRNA technology has been around for a while, and while this is the first time it's been used in a clinical setting it basically does the same thing classical vaccines do: exposes your immune system to a viral specific protein that you then will generate an immune response against.  The ingredients are basically the mRNA itself, some lipids for solubility and a salt solution.  The mRNA degrades; it does not affect your own DNA.

2.  The  Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have over 95% effectiveness  at preventing death and/or long term hospitalization, and data from Israel indicates they will provide over 90% effectiveness in spreading virus to others. 

3.  Concern has been expressed that the vaccines are experimental and not approved.  They have emergency use authorization and the FDA gave that based on tens of thousands of patients treated in clinical trials.  They are safe.  

4.  The variants out there seem to be protected against by these two mRNA vaccines, and these variants are more highly infectious.  

5.  I get the reluctance about the J & J shot, even though I think it should still be given because the complication rate is so low.  But the issue with the J & J isn't seen with the mRNA ones.  

We can argue about other things all you want, but this transcends that.  I don't want to see you or anyone else around here get Covid and die, or get it and then have to deal with the long term complications that are becoming increasingly prevalent and will likely sap you of years down the road.  I ask you:  get the vaccine so we can enjoy (well, I enjoy at least!) debating and arguing on TBD for years into the future.  Be safe, my friend.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

We argue about things here, and clearly disagree on some things, but let me just reach out here as a research scientist with over 40 years lab and clinical experience.  Please get vaccinated.  The science supports it.  I know you hear things about the mRNA vaccines being new, and that they haven't been tested and so on, but the real data are these:

1.  The mRNA technology has been around for a while, and while this is the first time it's been used in a clinical setting it basically does the same thing classical vaccines do: exposes your immune system to a viral specific protein that you then will generate an immune response against.  The ingredients are basically the mRNA itself, some lipids for solubility and a salt solution.  The mRNA degrades; it does not affect your own DNA.

2.  The  Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have over 95% effectiveness  at preventing death and/or long term hospitalization, and data from Israel indicates they will provide over 90% effectiveness in spreading virus to others. 

3.  Concern has been expressed that the vaccines are experimental and not approved.  They have emergency use authorization and the FDA gave that based on tens of thousands of patients treated in clinical trials.  They are safe.  

4.  The variants out there seem to be protected against by these two mRNA vaccines, and these variants are more highly infectious.  

5.  I get the reluctance about the J & J shot, even though I think it should still be given because the complication rate is so low.  But the issue with the J & J isn't seen with the mRNA ones.  

We can argue about other things all you want, but this transcends that.  I don't want to see you or anyone else around here get Covid and die, or get it and then have to deal with the long term complications that are becoming increasingly prevalent and will likely sap you of years down the road.  I ask you:  get the vaccine so we can enjoy (well, I enjoy at least!) debating and arguing on TBD for years into the future.  Be safe, my friend.

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice.  ;) 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

SCIENCE !!

The mask scam continues.

Virus is dormant until commercial breaks.  

Another wrinkle to the magically morphing virus.  Hovers fearfully over crowds of people engaged in social causes AND important speeches about people who pretended to be someone else for an hour-thirty.  

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I did tell you to deal with the problems in your own country before sticking your nose into others...but it seems it’s way easier for you to assume the role of internet tough guy. That appears to be your happy place even if it does make you come across as a miserable piece of utter sh$t. 

Seriously. Internet tough guy. Get a grip. Name one thing I said that makes you think I am doing that. You are the guy calling me out, trying to bully me from your sanctimonious perch. 

Your skin is way too thin. If you think I am a piece of utter sh$t, so be it. That opinion and $10.00 WILL GIVE YOU $10.00.

Don't know what you have against the Beach Boys. They made Cali famous. 

Don't know what you have against John Sébastien and Denny Doherty other than Denny is Canadian. And Mama Cass...died too young. 

So, back to your intercity perch, stay out of Laurel Canyon, and be happy. 

We all have "Heros and Villians" in our life. 

BTW, you don't happen to play a TV cop on NCIS LA, Deeks. 😂

If you are not smiling a little, then just fxxx xxx.

"Tureci's comments come after Bourla said in an interview that aired April 15 that people will likely need a booster shot, or third dose, of the Covid-19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated. He also said it's possible people will need to get additional shots each year."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/scientist-who-helped-develop-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-agrees-third-shot-is-needed-as-immunity-wanes.html

Um.  Then why are we using the term "fully vaccinated?"

F...ing dupes.  Everyone.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

For the record, immunity and mutation to a less virulent form is the strong working/accepted theory.  It started out in the spring of 1918 not being exceptionally lethal but went across the world thanks in large part to troop movements.  It picked up it's more lethal mutation in Europe and went back around the world in large part to troops coming back home in the fall of 1918. 

It exists as a large part of the seasonal flu now for over 100 years.  They were able to reconstruct the virus from preserved lung tissue in 1918 and validate it against a 1918-buried Inuit woman's permafrost-preserved lungs around 1998.  In reconstructed form, it's 100 times more lethal to mice than seasonal flu.

A bit long but easy to read article:  https://www.history.com/news/1918-flu-pandemic-never-ended?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-history

Detailed CDC article delving more into the sequencing story:  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

"What’s even more remarkable about the 1918 flu, say infectious disease experts, is that it never really went away. After infecting an estimated 500 million people worldwide in 1918 and 1919 (a third of the global population), the H1N1 strain that caused the Spanish flu receded into the background and stuck around as the regular seasonal flu."

Really interesting that the Spanish flu variant was a combination of avian and human flu that we passed on to pigs in 1918 that adapted then later recombined with avian and human strains to give us the Swine flu in 2009.

3 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Seriously. Internet tough guy. Get a grip. Name one thing I said that makes you think I am doing that. You are the guy calling me out, trying to bully me from your sanctimonious perch. 

Your skin is way too thin. If you think I am a piece of utter sh$t, so be it. That opinion and $10.00 WILL GIVE YOU $10.00.

Don't know what you have against the Beach Boys. They made Cali famous. 

Don't know what you have against John Sébastien and Denny Doherty other than Denny is Canadian. And Mama Cass...died too young. 

So, back to your intercity perch, stay out of Laurel Canyon, and be happy. 

We all have "Heros and Villians" in our life. 

BTW, you don't happen to play a TV cop on NCIS LA, Deeks. 😂

If you are not smiling a little, then just fxxx xxx.

Back at you dude. Grow up. 

• Vomit 1

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

"Tureci's comments come after Bourla said in an interview that aired April 15 that people will likely need a booster shot, or third dose, of the Covid-19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated. He also said it's possible people will need to get additional shots each year."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/scientist-who-helped-develop-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-agrees-third-shot-is-needed-as-immunity-wanes.html

Um.  Then why are we using the term "fully vaccinated?"

F...ing dupes.  Everyone.  

Kind of like your yearly flu shot?

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Or tetanus or shingles or ...

Why not? It could be the best way to handle it going forward. Who’s to say we haven’t come across a nasty virus that’s really really stubborn? We simple don’t know enough about it’s longevity in the global population yet. It simply hasn’t been around long enough to know. But...we also don’t know enough about the long term impact of these vaccines (got my second dose yesterday). One thing I do know is that we’re all WAY better than to be wearing a stupid mask around for the remainder of the human species! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why not? It could be the best way to handle it going forward. Who’s to say we haven’t come across a nasty virus that’s really really stubborn? We simple don’t know enough about it’s longevity in the global population yet. It simply hasn’t been around long enough to know. But...we also don’t know enough about the long term impact of these vaccines (got my second dose yesterday). One thing I do know is that we’re all WAY better than to be wearing a stupid mask around for the remainder of the human species! 

Totally agree. 

Your mask.....has never worked. 

Worst policy decision in human history:

More scientists now believe COVID-19 spreads primarily through the air

This month, studies in three prominent medical journals -- the Lancet, the British Medical Journal and the Journal of the American Medical Association – each made the case that aerosols are the dominant mode of transmission of COVID-19 and that improved ventilation will help keep us safe (lol said as if this possible lolol).

Greenhalgh likened aerosol transmission of COVID-19 to second-hand smoke, which can linger in the air.

“It's a good analogy,” she said. “If someone was smoking in the room, how long would you stay in the room? Probably not very long.”

“One person told me: ‘I didn't take off my mask so how did I get this?’ Other people that you ask will say they only really took one trip,” said Dr. Alex Patel, a critical care physician in Toronto. “I remember one case just last week where they said they really only went to a small grocery store. They didn't really do much else.”

They also argue people should be wearing more fitted masks to control the spread.

“It's really important that the air that you're breathing in has as much barriers as possible and also the air that you're breathing out has as many barriers as possible,” Freire-Gormaly said. “If you have access to a higher-quality mask, that's important.”

With this new information, Greenhalgh urges people to get outside to protect themselves from the virus’ spread.

“The most important message I think is ventilation,” she said. “If there's one thing I get you to remember, be outdoors as much as possible. If you must be indoors, have the windows open.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/more-scientists-now-believe-covid-19-spreads-primarily-through-the-air-1.5397442

Idiots.

This isn't a pandemic anymore.

This is called "life."  It isn't going anywhere.  Ever.  You've ceded your life to the State permanently.  It is basically May 1.  What are the back to normal metrics?  I own a business why am I limiting my customers that choose to live that life and accept the risk?  

If you can't defend that, you've surrendered to the China Coup I mean flu.  

Excited for the debates come September about how mandates should be "properly fitted" masks.

Reminder:

From the 6:30 mark to 6:50.......biggest woops of the whole sham:

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1