The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Our company had our awards party last night. It’s usually in January but pushed to April due to Covid.  A couple hundred people in a hotel ballroom without masks. This was literally the first time in over 13 months that I shook people’s hands and hugged someone other than my wife. It was glorious! 

I've been seeing more and more people not wearing masks at stores, regardless of the signs.  The demographics have changed too.  It used to be just white boomers.  Now, you're mixing younger people and different races.    I've also noticed some stores have quietly removed their signs about masks.  Grocery stores and big box stores do not seem to care. 

Small businesses, it depends.  There is a local bookstore who's owner is *still* stopping every customer at the door to squirt hand sanitizer on them.  

15 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They have to show they took it super serious we swear this was not a Chinese led coup against Trump.  Dems happy. Neo Cons happy.  Never again.   

This guy was given air time and taken seriously. 

That got air time. 

Was taken seriously.

HCQ?  That gets banned from social media.  Twitter and FB approved of that guy.   

that grim reaper made my day!!

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good for you guys. This has gone on long enough! As I’ve said a few times, we’ve been back in our offices with an office staff approaching 100 full time employees since June 1st and haven’t had a single incident of any kind. In an effort to be polite, our people in general wear a mask when going to the restrooms but that’s about it. 

I never really left the office.  Starting March when we all went remote I was coming in the office 3 days a week to pick op mail and process business.  We had one of my staff members, his wife and two kids get sick but it didn't happen here seeing he was coming in the office.  I say now I can't work from home however come January I will be working from home as I semi-retire to the desert. We'll see how that goes.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I've been seeing more and more people not wearing masks at stores, regardless of the signs.  The demographics have changed too.  It used to be just white boomers.  Now, you're mixing younger people and different races.    I've also noticed some stores have quietly removed their signs about masks.  Grocery stores and big box stores do not seem to care. 

Small businesses, it depends.  There is a local bookstore who's owner is *still* stopping every customer at the door to squirt hand sanitizer on them.  

I've not seen much of people not wearing masks at stores.  I still always do.  

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

that grim reaper made my day!!

Why?  You like panic news?  

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Peaches drop boxes in every neighborhood.

Oh no no no. Those racists in GA have made sure that doesn't happen. 

Now Universal Peach Allotment?  That sounds just peachy.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 2

My only question of course, what was the exit strategy if no vaccine?

FLASHBACK: New York Times said having coronavirus vaccine within 18 months was 'impossible'

One expert told NYT having a vaccine by 2022 was 'very optimistic and of relatively low probability'

This week marks one year since a New York Times article that said having a coronavirus vaccine by the end of 2021 was likely "impossible."

For the Times' opinion section, Stuart Thompson quoted infectious diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, who said last April that a vaccine could arrive within 12 to 18 months.

"The grim truth behind this rosy forecast is that a vaccine probably won’t arrive any time soon," Thompson wrote on April 30. "Clinical trials almost never succeed. We’ve never released a coronavirus vaccine for humans before ... Here's how we might achieve the impossible."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/flashback-new-york-times-article-argued-having-coronavirus-vaccine-within-18-months-was-impossible

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

My only question of course, what was the exit strategy if no vaccine?

FLASHBACK: New York Times said having coronavirus vaccine within 18 months was 'impossible'

One expert told NYT having a vaccine by 2022 was 'very optimistic and of relatively low probability'

This week marks one year since a New York Times article that said having a coronavirus vaccine by the end of 2021 was likely "impossible."

For the Times' opinion section, Stuart Thompson quoted infectious diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, who said last April that a vaccine could arrive within 12 to 18 months.

"The grim truth behind this rosy forecast is that a vaccine probably won’t arrive any time soon," Thompson wrote on April 30. "Clinical trials almost never succeed. We’ve never released a coronavirus vaccine for humans before ... Here's how we might achieve the impossible."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/flashback-new-york-times-article-argued-having-coronavirus-vaccine-within-18-months-was-impossible

Still better than saying it was going to go away magically on its own.  

As for exit strategy, well Trump threw all his marbles into the vaccine, so if it failed there would be none.  That wouldn't have been the NYT fault, because they just print newspapers for profit.  Also keep in mind a lot of people feel it's not the governments job to "keep us safe'.

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I never really left the office.  Starting March when we all went remote I was coming in the office 3 days a week to pick op mail and process business.  We had one of my staff members, his wife and two kids get sick but it didn't happen here seeing he was coming in the office.  I say now I can't work from home however come January I will be working from home as I semi-retire to the desert. We'll see how that goes.  

As the Owner of the company I never left either but our staff left on March 19th and returned on June 1st last year. I still marvel at those who’ve been away this entire time. I always ask them...why exactly? And when I share my experience they react as if I’m living on the planet Jupiter! This has been one colossal communication disaster, from start to what I’m really hoping will be the finish. 

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As the Owner of the company I never left either but our staff left on March 19th and returned on June 1st last year. I still marvel at those who’ve been away this entire time. I always ask them...why exactly? And when I share my experience they react as if I’m living on the planet Jupiter! This has been one colossal communication disaster, from start to what I’m really hoping will be the finish. 

My wife has been at home since mid March and will likely never return before she retires in January.  I can't work at home.  I need a proper office.   

Just now, Chef Jim said:

My wife has been at home since mid March and will likely never return before she retires in January.  I can't work at home.  I need a proper office.   

My daughter works at a university and hasn’t been back in the office either. It’s like bizzaro world! 

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

The pandemic may change the way the "office" works in America.  

Which means cities are dead.  Why would you live there?  The virtual schools?  All the mitigated indoor entertainment in winter which is a 6 month season in WNY.    

Disaster.  Everything should be full open immediately but of course no one understands why this is a coup so whatever save grandma and variants or something something.  

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

The pandemic may change the way the "office" works in America.  

May?  It absolutely will. 

My business plan is to take all these empty office buildings and turn them into work/live spaces.  Have office space completely separate from living space.  Very different decor and look and feel.