The REAL reason Duke Didnt Catch The TD Pass

StHustle

1 minute ago, GG said:

I've watched the video in slow motion several times.  The ones to watch are from the sideline and endzone.  Watch Conley's actions as well.   He's the one who's preventing Duke from adjusting the left side of his body to get both hands on it.  

I’ve watched them all. I like Duke Williams and I hope he remains on the team, as I believe he could play an important role. However, IMO, that is a catch an NFL WR, particularly one whose strength is that exact type of catch, should make. We can agree to disagree and that is alright.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GG said:

I've watched the video in slow motion several times.  The ones to watch are from the sideline and endzone.  Watch Conley's actions as well.   He's the one who's preventing Duke from adjusting the left side of his body to get both hands on it.  

Conley's defense and the op's picture come into play only after Duke misses on his initial attempt to catch a pass that was perfectly placed and should have been caught.

12 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The hand is not "in there" until well after the initial drop and Duke is already turned 90 degrees clockwise. At the time of the initial drop the defender's arm and hand are down by Duke's waist. Look at the set of four pictures again. 

Yes but receivers pop a ball up and catch it all the time, if the hand didn’t pull his arm back no doubt he brings it in, also very real doubt Brown  or Beasley make the jump to even get a hand in it...

3 hours ago, GG said:

I make a distinction between not making a great catch and dropping the ball.  Conley defended that pass very well to prevent Duke from getting both hands on the ball.

The opportunity to catch the ball occurred before there was contact.  The ball was already gone by then.

5 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Conley's defense and the op's picture come into play only after Duke misses on his initial attempt to catch a pass that was perfectly placed and should have been caught.

Ay caramba.

I don't mind arguing whether Duke should have made a better attempt to position the left side of his body for the catch, which he possibly could have.  But please don't argue that Conley's defense came into play only after Duke touched the ball.

Look at Conley's right arm in this shot.  He is preventing Duke from elevating his left side, WELL before the ball got there.  That's why he never got both hands on the ball.

Capture2.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

Yes but receivers pop a ball up and catch it all the time, if the hand didn’t pull his arm back no doubt he brings it in, also very real doubt Brown  or Beasley make the jump to even get a hand in it...

Brown wouldn't have to, he wins with speed and get's separation. Brown and Beasley are totally different WRs than Duke. That's like saying I very really doubt Duke can make Gilmore & McCourty look like fools on the same play and beat them deep for a 53 yard TD like in week 16. The same Gilmore who hadn't given up a TD against him in the first 14 weeks. Not only do I doubt it, it's never happening. To say there's no doubt Duke catches it the second time is a but shortsighted, no one knows if he would've or wouldn't have.  

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Ay caramba.

I don't mind arguing whether Duke should have made a better attempt to position the left side of his body for the catch, which he possibly could have.  But please don't argue that Conley's defense came into play only after Duke touched the ball.

Look at Conley's right arm in this shot.  He is preventing Duke from elevating his left side, WELL before the ball got there.  That's why he never got both hands on the ball.

Capture2.JPG

He's in the game to make those tough jump ball catches in the endzone. It has to be true, I was hearing it all over these boards when he wasn't playing that he should be for this very play right here. If that's why you're in the game then you HAVE to come down with it. He's bigger and stronger Conley is. 6' 3" 225  vs  6' 0" 190.

That wasn’t really a speed route and Brown doesn’t always get separation as the Ravens game proved. But in the the end you are right, the ball hit him square in the hands, Duke did everything right  running the route but in his biggest moment he failed to catch a very catchable ball. Now would he have been better if he was playing all season? Nobody knows. Will he be good enough to make this team next year? I would keep him over McKenzie and Foster, but I guess it depends on free agency and the draft, I honestly don’t know how old Duke is and if that’s a factor. Bottom line, sucks for everyone he didn’t perform when it was his chance to shine. Unfortunately this can be said about 10 other guys on this team for this game, and that’s why we are having this discussion....

7 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He's in the game to make those tough jump ball catches in the endzone. It has to be true, I was hearing it all over these boards when he wasn't playing that he should be for this very play right here. If that's why you're in the game then you HAVE to come down with it. He's bigger and stronger Conley is. 6' 3" 225  vs  6' 0" 190.

No doubt these clips show he should have had it. Damn it sucks, but you can’t single Duke out, there isn’t a single other player in this team you could guarantee me makes that catch this game, everybody let us down...

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:36 PM, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

looks like pass interferance to me.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:36 PM, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

one top WR tells the story of calling his dad after a few games his rookie season

WR:  dad, they are HOLDING me out there, that's against the rules

DAD:  son, you better learn to work through that or join me Monday morning selling used cars.

16 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That wasn’t really a speed route and Brown doesn’t always get separation as the Ravens game proved. But in the the end you are right, the ball hit him square in the hands, Duke did everything right  running the route but in his biggest moment he failed to catch a very catchable ball. Now would he have been better if he was playing all season? Nobody knows. Will he be good enough to make this team next year? I would keep him over McKenzie and Foster, but I guess it depends on free agency and the draft, I honestly don’t know how old Duke is and if that’s a factor. Bottom line, sucks for everyone he didn’t perform when it was his chance to shine. Unfortunately this can be said about 10 other guys on this team for this game, and that’s why we are having this discussion....

No doubt these clips show he should have had it. Damn it sucks, but you can’t single Duke out, there isn’t a single other player in this team you could guarantee me makes that catch this game, everybody let us down...

Definitely not trying to single him out, but this play puts us 17-0 right before halftime. In the end there's several plays that if just one guy did his job and made his play we would've won the game. Hopefully this fuels Duke during the offseason, but Beane just mentioned today that this year's draft class is really WR strong.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GG said:

Ay caramba.

Capture2.JPG

He should have caught this contested pass. That's the only attribute he brings. No one mentions the critical drop with a minute left in regulation either.  Turn your video on to 1 minute left in regulation. Also the only time he was "open" all night was a 5 yd slant where the db was 8 yds off the los. For a guy " who's open when he's not", he sure wasn't. We went from " coaches are dumb not to put him in" to making excuses for his 2 critical drops. IMO We don't need a guy who MIGHT catch a contested pass cuz he struggles to get open.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He should have caught this contested pass. That's the only attribute he brings. No one mentions the critical drop with a minute left in regulation either.  Turn your video on to 1 minute left in regulation. Also the only time he was "open" all night was a 5 yd slant where the db was 8 yds off the los. For a guy " who's open when he's not", he sure wasn't. We went from " coaches are dumb not to put him in" to making excuses for his 2 critical drops. IMO We don't need a guy who MIGHT catch a contested pass cuz he struggles to get open.

Yahtzee!

On 1/7/2020 at 5:57 AM, ILBillsfan said:

Wow nice vide this was brutal to watch that should of been caught

My first thought when watching this angle was "what a bullet!"  It's not an easy catch, but one you expect your NFL receivers to make.  But, they don't always.  Even the best of them.

But man,  what a throw!

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:33 PM, TwistofFate said:

Duke made some great plays, but the Duke also dropped some clutch catches. 

I'm concerned that Duke is receiving the same off season "how-to-catch" training as Clank/Zay. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I'm not going to argue the pass at the end of regulation.  He got both hands on it, and should have held on.   But the pass at the half was a totally different situation, where the DB made a tremendous play.   He should have been flagged for DPI because the contact was early and affected Duke's motion.  But it didn't get called and was a great defensive play.  I'll gladly throw in Newton's laws of momentum in why it was a harder catch than people think.

I think people are confusing the play at the end where Duke had both hands on the ball with the other one, where he could only tip it with his right hand to bring it in.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Ay caramba.

Capture2.JPG

I can't agree with you, I simply don't think Duke was tracking the ball well as it arrived.  Look how far apart his hands are, instead of being in a tighter basket.  He had enough height off the ground regardless of the arm bar.   He makes no attempt to bring his left hand over to his right and the ball squarely hit his right hand.  He had enough elevation, bringing his left over would have meant twisting his shoulders (dropping the left/raising the right) and I don't think the defender arm bar inhibits that.

46 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I can't agree with you, I simply don't think Duke was tracking the ball well as it arrived.  Look how far apart his hands are, instead of being in a tighter basket.  He had enough height off the ground regardless of the arm bar.   He makes no attempt to bring his left hand over to his right and the ball squarely hit his right hand.  He had enough elevation, bringing his left over would have meant twisting his shoulders (dropping the left/raising the right) and I don't think the defender arm bar inhibits that.

That's not how you catch that pass anyway. He's reaching when he should be attacking the ball. He's trying to catch this ball underhanded when he should be going up and making a play over and through the DBs leverage.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

That's not how you catch that pass anyway. He's reaching when he should be attacking the ball. He's trying to catch this ball underhanded when he should be going up and making a play over and through the DBs leverage.

I agree with ya, and another reason why I don't think he tracked it well.  Underhand allows the ball to come across your body more and give you an extra split second to react to the ball.