The REAL reason Duke Didnt Catch The TD Pass

StHustle

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 24
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

There are two people on this board:

• Those who think Duke is a scrub because he played in the CFL.
  • Those who see a guy with some upside still and a different skill set than the other WRs on the roster, who also had first round pick potential before his disastrous senior year.

There is no in between.  There is no shifting anyone from one side to the other.  

Bottom line:  Duke bashers were wrong, they wont ever admit it, but they were because they said he would never make the roster, let alone start or contribute.  

That doesn't mean Duke is a lock for next years roster or is our future savior at WR.  It means, the kid has potential and he stuck around this long and made an impact at end of season for a reason.  I think he will be here competing again next year.  Whether or not he makes the team or where he is at on the depth chart I think will have a lot to do with what Beane does in both FA and Draft.

If Beane just drafts a guy, Duke is going to have a good shot to not only be on the team, but likely open up camp competing to start with the rookie.  If Beane both signs a guy like say AJ Green and also invests an early pick on a WR, then I think Duke is looking at competing for the 5th WR spot next year at best.  

On 1/6/2020 at 7:45 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

He doesn't have near the speed of DK.  Ran a 4.73 40 which is elite LT speed not #1 WR speed.  He didn't have more than a half a yard of separation most of the game.  They would be foolish not to bring him back but he is not the answer for WR #1.  

People keep saying this, but they keep leaving out a key detail...he had not been in game shape at the combine after being cut from the team after the bar fight.  He was faster than his 4.73 time...he still isn't blazing fast, and of course no where near DK, but he was always fast enough to get open in the NFL and has proven that.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB.

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

Rookie?  Is he related to that guy with the same name who was tearing it up in the CFL?

Keep up your crusade.  Never say die...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Great angle.

When Allen threw it and I saw how it was coming to Duke I honestly thought it was going to be a TD.

Sucks. Game was just full of so many weird missed opportunities.

I really like Duke and think he has a shot to make the roster next year, but the reason he's a relative longshot to see much time on the field again simply has to do with investments.

John Brown and Cole Beasley are our obvious roster locks and will be on the field.

After that it's relatively open, except Daboll loves that Isaiah McKenzie type WR, so if it's not him, it's someone we pick up in FA or possibly in the draft.

But really what I think will almost certainly happen is we draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd round, and that's the guy who gets on the field because of the obvious investment.

Duke should have been active all year and Foster should have been inactive.

It's that simple.

With that time, Allen and him could have developed more chemistry that might have helped us even a little more in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, our coaches are stubbornly married to skills that match scheme rather than ability to play on a football field.

For that reason, I think Duke's time with the Bills in meaningful games is done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He doesn't have near the speed of DK.  Ran a 4.73 40 which is elite LT speed not #1 WR speed.  He didn't have more than a half a yard of separation most of the game.  They would be foolish not to bring him back but he is not the answer for WR #1.  

Whats your point? Measurables mean nothing in the league. Its your production that matters. Im comparing PRODUCTION

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

• Those who see a guy who was going to be a first round pick before getting suspended who has upside and a skill set our other guys dont.

There is no in between.  There is no shifting anyone from one side to the other.  

Bottom line:  Duke bashers were wrong, they wont ever admit it, but they were because they said he would never make the roster, let alone start or contribute.  

That doesn't mean Duke is a lock for next years roster or is our future savior at WR.  It means, the kid has potential and he stuck around this long and made an impact at end of season for a reason.  I think he will be here competing again next year.  Whether or not he makes the team or where he is at on the depth chart I think will have a lot to do with what Beane does in both FA and Draft.

If Beane just drafts a guy, Duke is going to have a good shot to not only be on the team, but likely open up camp competing to start with the rookie.  If Beane both signs a guy like say AJ Green and also invests an early pick on a WR, then I think Duke is looking at competing for the 5th WR spot next year at best.  

People keep saying this, but they keep leaving out a key detail...he had not been in game shape at the combine after being cut from the team after the bar fight.  He was faster than his 4.73 time...he still isn't blazing fast, and of course no where near DK, but he was always fast enough to get open in the NFL and has proven that.  

There certainly is an in-between because I never thought either of those

And with his combine he was never going to be a first round pick.. he is a decent miss match guy who isn't as sure handed as some make him out

But he's clearly NFL caliber

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

• Those who see a guy who was going to be a first round pick before getting suspended who has upside and a skill set our other guys dont.

I get it....but based on the eye test from what you saw this year...would you keep Beasley over Duke?

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

There certainly is an in-between because I never thought either of those

And with his combine he was never going to be a first round pick.. he is a decent miss match guy who isn't as sure handed as some make him out

But he's clearly NFL caliber

No, his combine came after he was out of football for months from the suspension.  While he was playing in season, he was already being projected as potential the first WR drafted.  He disappointed at the combine, and he even discussed how he was so down from getting kicked off the team and wasn't in the shape he should have been.  So people need to stop harping on the combine, it was not when he was in game shape and he was dealing with his personal issues still.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From what i can see, Duke's problem is he has a hard time getting separation from the defender.  Other than that, he seems to be sure handed and doesn't have a problem with drops.  I think he's a #2 or 3 WR right now, not sure he'll get to #1 due to lack of speed.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, his combine came after he was out of football for months from the suspension.  While he was playing in season, he was already being projected as potential the first WR drafted.  He disappointed at the combine, and he even discussed how he was so down from getting kicked off the team and wasn't in the shape he should have been.  So people need to stop harping on the combine, it was not when he was in game shape and he was dealing with his personal issues still.  

There are tons of players who are "projected" to go and they don't

All the teams didn't think he was worth it and that's a fact because he wasn't drafted in the first

And tons of players with baggage have been drafted high

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

From what i can see, Duke's problem is he has a hard time getting separation from the defender.  Other than that, he seems to be sure handed and doesn't have a problem with drops.  I think he's a #2 or 3 WR right now, not sure he'll get to #1 due to lack of speed.

Yeah Duke isnt a #1 type guy but could make a very very good #2. As far as him getting separation... he led the team in targets his last 2 games. I highly doubt there was some agenda to force feed him the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Yeah Duke isnt a #1 type guy but could make a very very good #2. As far as him getting separation... he led the team in targets his last 2 games. I highly doubt there was some agenda to force feed him the ball.

Well, he's built like a #1 and is the biggest WR we have.  Good target to have in traffic.

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I get it....but based on the eye test from what you saw this year...would you keep Beasley over Duke?

Ok that is actually an interesting question.  Not really a fair one as they play different roles as Cole is a key slot contributor.

Truthfully, I think Duke has a lot more to offer still and could be a surprise come camp next year.  But Cole has a clearly more established resume and track record to go with his established chemistry with Josh.  Not to mention, Cole is a very cerebral player that will aid in Josh's development as well.  

I do not think it would ever come down to Cole or Duke on the depth chart given Cole is our slot guy and Duke is not a slot WR.  But being forced to pick one based on your question, I would still keep Beasley.  I mean he plays a vital role, has great chemistry with Josh already, and also is constantly in Josh's ear working to get better on the field which I think is too valuable to ignore.   

But I will say this:  If we ran a full season of Brown, Cole, and Duke as the starting 3 WR's...then I am not so sure Cole would out produce Duke.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are tons of players who are "projected" to go and they don't

All the teams didn't think he was worth it and that's a fact because he wasn't drafted in the first

And tons of players with baggage have been drafted high

You are missing the point...DURING the season he was a certain first round pick, and potentially even the first WR taken.  Getting kicked off his team and then getting out of shape before the combine all in the same season is why he wasn't drafted.  

He went on to the CFL and got himself right first...his actual game speed is faster than his timed combine because he was out of shape at the combine from the depression of being kicked off the team.  He has admitted this already.  

His combine is not an accurate representation of his abilities when he is in shape.  That would be like me going out and running a 40 after a holiday season of getting fatter compared to running one this summer when I was outside and active all the time.   

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are missing the point...DURING the season he was a certain first round pick, and potentially even the first WR taken.  Getting kicked off his team and then getting out of shape before the combine all in the same season is why he wasn't drafted.  

He went on to the CFL and got himself right first...his actual game speed is faster than his timed combine because he was out of shape at the combine from the depression of being kicked off the team.  He has admitted this already.  

His combine is not an accurate representation of his abilities when he is in shape.  That would be like me going out and running a 40 after a holiday season of getting fatter compared to running one this summer when I was outside and active all the time.   

Dorial green Beckham was kicked out of school and was still a second round pick... 

I get your point that at 1 point pundits projected him as a first rounder but so was Matt Barkley at one point BY pundits

He may not be 4.7 slow but he isn't getting any younger and he certainly doenst run a 4.4... regardless he wasn't a early pick and players with baggage go high

He obviously has talent but he isn't an all pro . Hes a solid guy who has ALREADY PLAYED PRO FOOTBALL

Edited by Buffalo716