The REAL reason Duke Didnt Catch The TD Pass

StHustle

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

I get it....but based on the eye test from what you saw this year...would you keep Beasley over Duke?

Beasley and Duke are two separate positions one is the outside the other is a slot

No way Williams is the slot guy and all game it appeared to me McKenzie was getting more reps at key times than Beasley not sure why Williams vs Beasley 

58 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I really like Williams and his skill set. I think he should stay on this team, and I also think he could play an important role next year and beyond. However, IMO, he should have caught that ball. The DB got his hand on Williams' arm and, maybe, prevents Williams from pulling the ball in as he falls. But, IMO, Williams should have pulled that ball in before the DB got his hand in there. 

Wow nice vide this was brutal to watch that should of been caught

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I really like Williams and his skill set. I think he should stay on this team, and I also think he could play an important role next year and beyond. However, IMO, he should have caught that ball. The DB got his hand on Williams' arm and, maybe, prevents Williams from pulling the ball in as he falls. But, IMO, Williams should have pulled that ball in before the DB got his hand in there. 

That's a tremendous clear video of Duke dropping a perfect pass. I'm keeping Duke as I feel has a lot to offer and he's cheap. He wants a full time gig so he'll play for minimum. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Todd Allan said:

PASS INTERFERENCE. DEFENSE. FIRST AND GOAL FROM THE ONE.

Sigh.

A little contact on his leg but that is not usually going to draw PI. 

Should have been a catch or at least closer to a catch than it was. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He doesn't have near the speed of DK.  Ran a 4.73 40 which is elite LT speed not #1 WR speed.  He didn't have more than a half a yard of separation most of the game.  They would be foolish not to bring him back but he is not the answer for WR #1.  

So... wouldn't Metcalf's numbers be MUCH BETTER then???

The point was that Duke wasn't as bad as all that on Saturday, not that he should be our #1... LOL

All I know if we got the Allen from the first half in the second half who was dropping dimes to people we would have won by 2 TD's.

40 minutes ago, pop gun said:

That's a tremendous clear video of Duke dropping a perfect pass. I'm keeping Duke as I feel has a lot to offer and he's cheap. He wants a full time gig so he'll play for minimum. 

10 targets, 4 catches.  If you are going to target a guy who barely plays for you that many times in a playoff game, you better be sure his catch rate is going to be better than 40%.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Good point--OP purposefully left out the full clip because it shows that Duke had already let the ball escape through his hands when the DB made contact.  It was already gone--leaving to maybe have some sort of juggling recovery.

Catch the ball placed perfectly in your hands.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

That is his second attempt to catch the ball, why didn't you show the first? Anyways here's the picture of the first attempt at the pass. Notice both arms seem to be free at that point.

1548807049_ScreenShot2020-01-05at4_48_26PM.png.dd7b3e9a8de0cb9c0b0abf98b360d64d.png.8dac0e96590619d3d1b4ef516fc06aa2.png

Thread over. 

Congratulations OP, you have created a great thread to prove that Duke dropped that pass. Well done. 

This is the very play Duke has to make to have value. He doesn’t separate, he doesn’t play special teams, he doesn’t offer a whole lot after the catch. If he wants to be in the NFL he needs to make this play in the biggest game of his life on a perfect pass. He didn’t. That’s not the end of his career, but it’ll take work to overcome. 

Duke is is exactly what we thought he was- a project WR who is a fringe NFL player. Give him every chance to win a job next year, but if the WR room is upgraded as it should be, it’ll be a pretty tough row to hoe.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thanks. That's a pass that has to be caught.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

That hurts to watch... Also, that throw is sexy af. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Except for his 2 crucial drops on Saturday right?

At least one of them the defender was hanging on Duke's left arm, which was not called.  Not saying Duke is a #1, because he's not, but he's better than most are giving him credit for.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

John Brown is a #1.

If we find someone better than him, great, but not especially likely.

What we need is a major upgrade on the folks below Brown and Beasley.

Brown is a #1 in the sense that he is good.  He is not a #1 in the sense that he is a difference maker.  It depends on the definition of #1.  I hear #1 and I think AJ Green, Hopkins, Thomas, Jones, Hill, etc.  Those guys are #1 difference makers and Brown isn't in that league.

Edited by Scott7975

Duke didn't catch it because he's not an NFL caliber impact WR, he's an undrafted fringe roster worthy CFL free agent signing.

Beane needs to finish building this WR corp. The 2018 WR group was an embarrassment for any professional football team trying to win. Adding Brown and Beasley was a massive improvement but the remainder of the group is just as bad as 18 and has zero draft capital invested in it.

It's lunacy that Duke, who didn't even dress half the year and sparingly played got 10 targets and the largest script in the passing game in our playoff matchup. That's on coaching 100%. It's a slap in the face to Brown and Beasley too, those guys should be ripping.

11 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

DK is a grown ass man who would’ve caught the ball.   

No free passes.   

Hit the weight room Duke, and he still dropped it.   

Your pic is after the bobble no ? 

Delusional. On the replay it's clearly hooked and adds to what was already a difficult catch. I'm not sure why some fans are out to villify Duke. This loss wasn't his fault. 

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Mmmmmmm... DK had 7 drops on 100 targets this year.

Let's not pretend he's superhuman hands guy all the sudden.

Duke had 2 on 19 targets and that one right there was a massively contested catch he likely would've caught if not for the DPI.

That said, I do wish we drafted Metcalf instead of Ford last year.

Watch the video. It wasn't DPI. 

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

By the photo, it is PI, the defender is not making a play on the ball, but instead “interfering” by grabbing the offensive players torso/arm. Classic non enforcement of the rules. 

That was after the ball got there.  There was no PI.  It was a good play by the DB and a drop by Duke.