Did the offensive line really improve that much?

Meatloaf63

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Allen holds the ball the longest in the NFL and he had a clean jersey until his brain melted int he 4th. Until the end of the game, the time they were giving him was insane.  He had all day back there.

There were a couple of times when someone wasnt blocked at all, but generally I agree.. 

2 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Dawkins was best Feliciano was second best followed by Morse then Spain and Nishke in a tie with Ford being a rookie and learning on the job.

Spain played every down all season and never gave up a sack.. I'll take that every year for the equal 4th best OL...

• Like (+1) 1

I think our receiving corps and offensive line took a similar jump. It is really underrated how bad our entire offense was last year. The only player from those units last year that belongs as a starter is Dion Dawkins. Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Robert Foster, Vladimir Ducasse, Russell Bodine, John Miller, Jordan Mills, and Ryan Groy were all starters at one time or another last year. That's an unbelievable list of players that our raw rookie QB was surrounded by.

My point is that both units upgraded but really only by default. Everyone that replaced those players belongs on the field (other than Ford at RT), but none of them scare defenses. Brown and Beasley would make an excellent #2/#3 combo. But since that true #1 WR is missing they are not a difficult duo to lock down. The offensive line is not bad like it was last year, just inconsistent and missing an elite player.

I think getting a #1 WR will go a long way in solving the other problems, even the pass protection. It's really hard to build an elite offensive line in the modern NFL. This is why athletic QBs are replacing the traditional pocket passer and why having a reliable target on offense is so important. 

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

Yes it did,  but still needs work.

We once again have a good running game (when the coaches don't eliminate it from the gameplan) 

And our qb had sufficient time to throw in most plays.

We had neither last year.  

The OL improved significantly, but it still needs another step and maybe one more player.

36 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ford needs to move to Guard....that's all Ford needs to do.

Who is he better at Guard than?  If he needs to be a backup let him backup.  I think an upgrade at Tackle on the right is needed.  I like Spain and Feliciano

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think our receiving corps and offensive line took a similar jump. It is really underrated how bad our entire offense was last year. The only player from those units last year that belongs as a starter is Dion Dawkins. Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Robert Foster, Vladimir Ducasse, Russell Bodine, John Miller, Jordan Mills, and Ryan Groy were all starters at one time or another last year. That's an unbelievable list of players that our raw rookie QB was surrounded by.

My point is that both units upgraded but really only by default. Everyone that replaced those players belongs on the field (other than Ford at RT), but none of them scare defenses. Brown and Beasley would make an excellent #2/#3 combo. But since that true #1 WR is missing they are not a difficult duo to lock down. The offensive line is not bad like it was last year, just inconsistent and missing an elite player.

I think getting a #1 WR will go a long way in solving the other problems, even the pass protection. It's really hard to build an elite offensive line in the modern NFL. This is why athletic QBs are replacing the traditional pocket passer and why having a reliable target on offense is so important. 

AJ Green is available and fresh from a year off

4 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

AJ Green is available and fresh from a year off

Your lips to Beane's ears... If we sign Green and one of the top free agent DEs I'll be satisfied with the offseason. The draft will just be a bonus at that point. Green plus a real #2 RB will push this offense to the next tier.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Your lips to Beane's ears... If we sign Green and one of the top free agent DEs I'll be satisfied with the offseason. The draft will just be a bonus at that point. Green plus a real #2 RB will push this offense to the next tier.

I would love to draft a bruiser back that still has fresh legs

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Mills, DuCasse, Bodine & Miller vs Nsekhe, Spain, Morse, Ford? ?

Really? You have to ask??

I have to ask because pass blocking under pressure was atrocious and run blocking inside the 30 was not nearly good enough. If you take away Singletary and the obvious improvement Josh Allen made, how much better was the line? It’s a good question, I would expect a better answer from you than just a dismissive response. 

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP was looking at all season versus last season.

I was looking at a line that still can’t pass protect and only increased their run productivity by one spot. You can show all the different names you wantsnd claim there was a night and day difference  but when you look at where it got them, show me where the giant improvements came from besides Joshes year to year improvements and a better running back? I don’t know what you we’re watching, but when it came down to crunch time, the line didn’t perform.

Holy *****!  Is this really a question?  The OL was awful last year.  Allen ran for his life ALL the time.  This year he could actually get through all his reads.  That being said, there is definitely room to improve.  

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If you're wondering about this just remember they started Nathan Peterman after what last years O-line let the Bengals do to Josh in the preseason.

Yes but Josh is a whole lot better than then and at times yesterday and against New England and Baltimore, the line played as bad as they did in that preseason game.

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Holy *****!  Is this really a question?  The OL was awful last year.  Allen ran for his life ALL the time.  This year he could actually get through all his reads.  That being said, there is definitely room to improve.  

So your saying whenever we got in scoring position and the line gave up sack after sack where the pressure was instantaneous, that was real improvement over last year? What were you watching?

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Loyal, correct.  Is it just me or is Allen holding onto the ball too long.  Part of that can be fixed with more weapons, but part is decisiveness, and throwing to the right guy.  I love Josh, but he has to take another step forward this off season.  I a,ready read his locker room interview about getting out to Palmer’s QB clinic.  I just hope he takes 10-14 days off to decompress and self reflect on his development, then get it.  None of us probably even take all of our three or four weeks vacation. I know it’s a good year when I take the full two weeks, as I’m in Medical Device sales and Mgmt, and it’s kind of like athletics in that too much time off and you get behind.

Agreed 100%. Some plays it did seem like he went through his reads multiple times and didn't make a decision on what to do.  Others were highlight real split second decision throws. 

He has developed for sure.  Hopefully it continues.  I'm a huge Pro-Joshy fan,  but if it doesn't ALL come together next year,  i may have to rethink my stance. 

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Allen holds the ball the longest in the NFL and he had a clean jersey until his brain melted int he 4th. Until the end of the game, the time they were giving him was insane.  He had all day back there.

Cause your right there was no pass rush pressure and all the third downs were of manageable distances where the defense didn’t know if we would run or pass ? SMH...

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Really ?? How much do you want to pay Dawkins?

Im still not convinced he is the long term LT...

Dawkins is a lot like Cordy Glenn, a good but not great LT. Unlike Glenn he seems to want to play as question Glenn with all his injury issues.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

People must have short memories of how crappy the line was in 2018...

Still some ways to go though..

Exactly. I think I can honestly say that the preseason game McCarron started last year included the worst offensive line play I've ever seen in the NFL. And it got only a little bit better in the early season. By the end of last year the line was functional, but probably only better than the truly awful line fielded by the Cardinals. And this year? It wasn't good -- probably in the lower half of NFL teams overall -- but it wasn't awful. So that's progress. But LG and RT need major work, and let's be honest: only Morse and Dawkins are keepers here.