Is there basis for a hypothetical lawsuit against the NFL?

1 hour ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

You’re probably right that no one will, but as stated previously in this thread. This situation Is definitively different than the Saints screw job. PI is a subjective call whereas this was an actual set in stone rule with no subjectiveness whatsoever. 

PI has a discrete definition.  The no call was an egregious error of applying a discrete rule in a blatant example.

But none of this matters.  All pro sports history is rife with what fans watching consider awful calls and noncalls.  Never has a successful suit been brought.  

As a fan, you have no right to damages, unless calls are proven corrupt.  This would qualify as frivolous in many jurisdictions and you would likely have to pay defendants fees. 

Human error is part of the game.  As a case, this one would make no sense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I didn't like the ending of a movie I saw recently I think I am going to sue the producer

Were you able to place a wager on the movie?

this is the biggest problem imo.  Refs are literally taking money out of my pocket.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

PI has a discrete definition.  The no call was an egregious error of applying a discrete rule in a blatant example.

But none of this matters.  All pro sports history is rife with what fans watching consider awful calls and noncalls.  Never has a successful suit been brought.  

As a fan, you have no right to damages, unless calls are proven corrupt.  This would qualify as frivolous in many jurisdictions and you would likely have to pay defendants fees. 

Human error is part of the game.  As a case, this one would make no sense.  

I appreciate your analysis... honestly, but human error doesn't justify a definitive rule IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m a lawyer. 

For the answer to this question, please Venmo me a $50,000 retainer. 

I'm one too (a lawyer, that is). I know you're kidding, but it saddens me that there are many of our colleagues who actually would take someone's money to file a frivolous lawsuit like this. And then issue a press release to get publicity for their firm.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you called my office with this query I’d wonder if I was getting ‘punked’ and Ashton Kutcher was laughing somewhere in a control room down the hall.:D That said, as others have already pointed out, if the Saints similarly couldn’t get anywhere with the PI issue, neither would we with this—however, a rules clarification/tweak for NY studio review in future might be in order here, along with a formal league office apology. 

11 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

False. 

Tre went down to the ground completely and made no effort to advance. 

It’s not a disagreeable call. It’s the actual RULE not being followed. I guarantee you there is a lawyer that would take this case and could at least get a large settlement in mediation out of it before an actual trial.

You think flipping the ball to the ref is any different? Just FYI, if you're trying to advance the ball you don't give it to the ref. It's the same thing. 

16 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m a lawyer. 

For the answer to this question, please Venmo me a $50,000 retainer. 

Like what Kanye had in the video for "through the wire"? (only a joke)

Not that I actually believe that we would win, but the reasons given why it has no chance don't make sense to me. I respect Shaw and I get the entertainment thing, but I'm not bringing a suit saying what happened ruined my experience.

What I'm saying is that I paid to go to a game where there is a rulebook where the refs are obligated to abide by, and they did not. They decided to buck that rule because of "reasons". That to me doesn't seem to be ok, and I would think making someone answer for why a rule was broken is at least a step in putting the league on notice that fans will not tolerate crap like that.

Again, not saying anything would come of it, but I think there's more merit to it than the outright dismissal most here believe.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This (the notion of suing the NFL) is dumb.

It is a goddamn GAME.

And wanting to call that a fumble/fumble recovery/TD is also dumb.

Let common sense prevail, people.

Ok, booger!??

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is the Bills and their fans are deserved an explanation of why the NFL overturned the proper call on the field and over-ruled their own rule book.  If it takes a lawsuit for the NFL to own up, so be it.  

The blindside block by Ford was just as big of a call.  Common sense says that wasn’t a penalty even though the ref correctly threw the flag.  Everybody’s busy digesting and blaming our own team for a 2nd half meltdown, but the over-rule of a clearly correct call on the field is complete BS.