Duke Williams played more snaps than Cole Beasley

HappyDays

19 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Perfectly placed? It looked overthrown to me and Williams was able to stretch his hand out just to get a piece of it.

Not sure what you saw. This is as perfect as it gets. I watched it in slow motion. It hits Duke right in his hands. The defender is making some contact but I don't think he gets his hand on the ball. Duke just flubbed it.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure what you saw. This is as perfect as it gets. I watched it in slow motion. It hits Duke right in his hands. The defender is making some contact but I don't think he gets his hand on the ball. Duke just flubbed it.

It WAS a perfect throw, and Duke got both hands on it.   But on the closeup replays you could see the defender got a good swipe at the ball with his right hand (he missed), but then his left arm came around Duke's body and hit Duke's elbow just as he was about to secure it.  That's when the ball came out.   Was it enough contact to forcibly knock the ball out?  I don't think so, but it was enough to disrupt the catch.  Duke will tell you he should have caught it, but it was a well-defended play.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he made the toughest catches of anyone of the bills. Would had the most yards too if that sideline beauty wasn’t called back due to Ford holding 

And dropped the ONE pass he needed to catch that hit him in the hands.

Josh Allen needs a few more dynamic targets who can get separation, catch contested throws (back shoulder, 50/50 jump balls), and have great hands. We need to upgrade Gore’s #2 RB position, get a dominate LB to replace Alexander & improve our #2 corner position.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

Actually last night was more proof that pro Duke people were right. You guys just won’t admit you’re wrong and also act like Duke is a problem of some kind that held other player back.

The problem isn't Duke playing, the problem is whether it's Duke, McKenzie or Foster as the #2 WR doesn't scare any defenses at all.  Duke played OK considering the situation.  The real issue the entire season was the regression of Foster.  I wonder if they had realized Foster was never going to improve all year if they had to do it all over, would they have traded Zay? 

Maybe it will come out now that Foster had some type of injury, but my suspicion is his issue is between his ears, or maybe more in his chest.

IMO the Bills need to sign a FA WR, and unless it's Amari Cooper I'd just as soon see them save money and diva time and sign a possession guy but with size and draft i n the 2nd round another WR.  Assuming that happens, two new guys, plus Beasley, Brown and Roberts, leaves little room for Duke, McKenzie or Foster.  Of the three, I'd give the best chance of sticking around next year to McKenzie as he provides a certain trick play ability.  But as someone else mentioned, barring a huge improvement in the off season, if Duke is around next season, the team didn't likely do enough to improve.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We all wish that pass was caught, I’m not saying he some superstar.  This WR is a bunch of 3s, 4s and 5s on most any other team 

John Brown is a good 2. Beasley is a good slot. We don't have that clear 1 but maybe the bigger problem is we really don't have a clear 3 either. We need to upgrade WR depth most of all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Beasley is unreliable. He has suspect hands, and his knee down before the marker on 3rd and long is a perfect example of his limitations in big spots. It’s the reason he was phased out of the offense in Dallas.

He is not now, nor has he ever been, a reliable “Edelman-like” player.

Duke should of been 2 all year with Beasley at the 3 slot. Yet another Daboll mistake.

9 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Duke should of been 2 all year with Beasley at the 3 slot. Yet another Daboll mistake.

I don’t know that’s true. I think he spent his time on the PS getting into NFL game shape. It’s a lot different than the CFL, especially lining up in formation and rules of motion. I think he was stashed away on the 53 to protect him from being poached. I have zero issue with the approach the staff or FO took with him this season. 

15 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I don’t know that’s true. I think he spent his time on the PS getting into NFL game shape. It’s a lot different than the CFL, especially lining up in formation and rules of motion. I think he was stashed away on the 53 to protect him from being poached. I have zero issue with the approach the staff or FO took with him this season. 

I wouldn’t of left him on the PS either but training camp, pre season etc had to of had him in football shape. Anyways, on to next year it is what it is.

Edited by billsfan_34

51 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And dropped the ONE pass he needed to catch that hit him in the hands.

So you're saying they would've won had Foster played instead of Duke?

Easy to criticize, but what would you have done?

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Duke isn't what his fan club thinks he is

exactly right.

Duke is an average speed large wide receiver.

He did show that Allen will benefit from a big physical WR. I think this will get addressed this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

exactly right.

Duke is an average speed large wide receiver.

He did show that Allen will benefit from a big physical WR. I think this will get addressed this offseason.

Should have been addressed this past offseason.

Some (well one) of us were pounding the table for it.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Duke isn't what his fan club thinks he is

What most of us have been suggesting, given the roster, he is a better option than Foster.  You suggested playing "Duke "didn't work." It's clear that he gave the Bills passing game more than Foster has all season.  So what makes you say it didn't work, one play?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Should have been addressed this past offseason.

Some (well one) of us were pounding the table for it.

I hear ya. I think they believed Foster was going to develop, not really sure what happened there. 
They are just a few pieces away. A big physical WR is one of them. I am wondering if Beane will draft one in the first round. Since Sean became HC the Bills have gone heavy D in the first. I don’t think they can go wrong picking a WR or Edge rusher this next draft in the first.