Josh Allen - PLAYOFF GAME report card

rayray808

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The lateral was dumb.  He brings them down to tie with just over a minute left, then brings them down in position to get the winning FG in OT.  But he was terrible?  Please.  

The second half sacks guys weren’t touched. He just needs to dump the ball and take the lost down then.  Or God forbid give him a hot read safety valve.

He had some good plays and some terrible plays. There were times he looked calm and completely in control of the game, and then there were times he looked overwhelmed. He had a fourth quarter stretch of bad decisions and he also led them down the field when they needed it (including into field goal range in overtime before the penalty to Ford). He only put up 19 points, but he also managed to put up 372 total yards of offense. He is still a work in progress; however, I see the improvement and I see the potential.

Looking forward to the off season and next year.

Edit: oh yeah, I give him an overall C for the game.

Edited by billsfan1959

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

D?  That's being rather generous.

Sooner or later the fanbase will catch on that games have 4 quarters and the QB needs to be good in pretty much of all of them, in almost all of the games.

Allen is simply not good enough to be a consistently high performer.

He's up and down and sideways and all over the map.

He is still too up and down at the moment. If this is his ceiling (as you submit) then he isn't the guy. I am not yet ready to say this is his ceiling. I think there may still be more growth. This next year is crucial.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sooner or later the fanbase will catch on that games have 4 quarters and the QB needs to be good in pretty much of all of them, in almost all of the games.

Well, at least he is not as consistently bad as your posts..

So there's that...

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

D

His situational awareness is horrible. He still struggles with the basics.

There are splash plays, but ultimately 19 points, 1 TD, another QB rating below 70 and multiple fumbles (1 lost) aren't good enough. 

His situational awareness is still rookie level...the fumbles, the very strange lateral, and the sack on third down in possible field goal range are mind boggling... 

overall he extended some plays and had the team in a spot to win, on the road.  He needs a better QB coach and OC, and a receiver over 5’7” on a consistent basis...

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Watson wasn't good for 2.5 qtrs. so...

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Probably; but if Knox caught it and ran it; might have been a different story.  That said, bad decision to do that.

I sort of remember Doug Flutie made a similar play a few years back and was complimented on his "creativity". Cause the RB caught the ball and made a huge gain. 

1 minute ago, B-Large said:

His situational awareness is still rookie level...the fumbles, the very strange lateral, and the sack on third down in possible field goal range are mind boggling... 

overall he extended some plays and had the team in a spot to win, on the road.  He needs a better QB coach and OC, and a receiver over 5’7” on a consistent basis...

I've never seen anything like it.

He makes the hard look easy and the easy look extremely hard. His decision making, particularly when we can score points, is often horrible. 

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Our top 3 defense played a huge part in that. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is 100% how I see it. I don't love Daboll but what I see is not mainly on play calling 

Hard to be successful when Cody ***** Ford decides not to even block JJ Watt on MULTIPLE occasions.

He's beyond terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

He wasn't. But then he took over the game. That deep ball to Hopkins was an absolute thing of beauty. 

That was his 2nd go at the playoffs too. His first looked not dissimilar to Josh's game today. Young QBs sometimes need that. Let's hope Josh learns from the 2nd half in particular. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I still don't like Daboll.  I think just like Josh... he cant call a full game.

I think Allen and Daboll will both be better next year. Allen because he'll have another offseason of work and a better receiving corps, Daboll because Gore won't be on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hard to be successful when Cody ***** Ford decides not to even block JJ Watt on MULTIPLE occasions.

He's beyond terrible.

Agree. He has to move inside. They cannot go into next year stubbornly claiming he is their RT. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

I've never seen anything like it.

He makes the hard look easy and the easy look extremely hard. His decision making, particularly when we can score points, is often horrible. 

Our top 3 defense played a huge part in that. 

Oh I see.  Josh played like all top 5 defenses.  I guess it doesn't apply to Josh like Watson.  Was Indy a top 3 defense last year when Watson only scored 7 points?

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He had two easy picks dropped, including one on the final possession in regulation that was a very easy pick (the wtf? throw to mackenzie). They were terrible passes and for that reason I have to give him a D overall. Plus there was the not meeting the moment in the second half.

McKenzie tripped over his own feet and didnt finish working his way back to the qb 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He has to move inside. They cannot go into next year stubbornly claiming he is their RT. 

He's a guard they need to deal with it.  Hopefully it wont take all of 2020 to get some more stuff figured out