Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

In retrospect the difference in most games comes down to a few plays. We had so many players and coaches leave plays on the field yesterday yet we were a few play away. I wasn’t pissed waking up today because yesterday confirmed what I already knew. We still have talent needs. 

Knox + 2 OL whiffing on that QB sweep block that would have set up the winning FG. 

Bills having a 3rd and 1 before kicking the tying FG and Daboll dials up our worst play a screen which we never execute and we bite it for a giant loss. Then McD goes for it on 4th and 23 instead of punting them inside the 10 and trusting the defense. We could have been playing for a win and not a tie in that last minute. 

Feliciano looking clueless at least 5-6 times against the exact same inside move when they would have Watt rush inside. Mainly going untouched most of the time.

John Brown’s non attempt to drag his feet on a long pass instead doing a weird bunny hop and giving himself no chance to get even one foot down. If that is Diggs, it’s a catch. 

Duke Williams being targeted 10 times? Why ?? He Isn’t a WR1. He didn’t have any separation when he was targeted.

Siran Neal getting cocky after his first sack blitzes from the other side and doesn’t use wrap up technique...ball game.

Edmunds leaving plays all over the field from the two point conversion angle to various poor gap assignments to not recognizing Fells when he was lurking in his zone. 

Matt Milano missed at least 3 sacks or TFL by running past the QB or RB. Same problem he had with Lamar. Playing with speed but needs to play with control also. 

3rd and 18 and Frazier dials up a soft zone. That never works out with a QB that can extend the play. 

Finally Josh Allen. Another fumble, almost two. The weird pitch was stupid which could have made it three. The tossup to DiMarco was stupid ( what play design has a slow FB running deep?)  Running backward to avoid a sack in FG range is always stupid.

The point is everyone left some big plays on the field and we still barely lost even though we have deficient talent at WR, RB2, LB, DE, and made some coaching errors. 

I AM CALM TODAY. WE WILL BE BACK AND BETTER NEXT YEAR, WIN THE AFC EAST, AND TEAMS WILL START TO FEAR US. 

i went to to the 89 game in Cleveland and this game is that moment for this team. The prime difference is this team is younger and we don’t have a QB who already had played 5 years of pro football. I am very proud of this team and excited about their future. 

Great post. Kelly became one of the best in the league the next season, if not the best. The 1990 Bills we practically unstoppable because Kelly was amazing in the no huddle. Allen doesn't have to be that good, but if he can get somewhere near that good, we will have a great team for a long time, like the early 90s Bills with Kelly. 

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If McDermott was "in over his head" then the Bills aren't in the playoffs two of his first three seasons.

He's not perfect, but few football coaches are. 

McD has done a good coaching job. But he needs to get a coherent offense together at some point. He is obviously not a HC who specializes on the offense.

Therefore he needs to bring in some QB mentors and/or an OC who can fulfill that role. maybe daboll is very good CONSIDERING who the QB is or maybe he is holding JA back.

Thats the tough thing to figure out.We have blamed people for being poor O coordinators when in fact they were actually very good under the circumstances.--Look at BALT now and look at your SB champion GIANTS of not that many yrs ago.

28 minutes ago, Locomark said:

In retrospect the difference in most games comes down to a few plays. We had so many players and coaches leave plays on the field yesterday yet we were a few play away. I wasn’t pissed waking up today because yesterday confirmed what I already knew. We still have talent needs. 

Knox + 2 OL whiffing on that QB sweep block that would have set up the winning FG. 

Bills having a 3rd and 1 before kicking the tying FG and Daboll dials up our worst play a screen which we never execute and we bite it for a giant loss. Then McD goes for it on 4th and 23 instead of punting them inside the 10 and trusting the defense. We could have been playing for a win and not a tie in that last minute. 

Feliciano looking clueless at least 5-6 times against the exact same inside move when they would have Watt rush inside. Mainly going untouched most of the time.

John Brown’s non attempt to drag his feet on a long pass instead doing a weird bunny hop and giving himself no chance to get even one foot down. If that is Diggs, it’s a catch. 

Duke Williams being targeted 10 times? Why ?? He Isn’t a WR1. He didn’t have any separation when he was targeted.

Siran Neal getting cocky after his first sack blitzes from the other side and doesn’t use wrap up technique...ball game.

Edmunds leaving plays all over the field from the two point conversion angle to various poor gap assignments to not recognizing Fells when he was lurking in his zone. 

Matt Milano missed at least 3 sacks or TFL by running past the QB or RB. Same problem he had with Lamar. Playing with speed but needs to play with control also. 

3rd and 18 and Frazier dials up a soft zone. That never works out with a QB that can extend the play. 

Finally Josh Allen. Another fumble, almost two. The weird pitch was stupid which could have made it three. The tossup to DiMarco was stupid ( what play design has a slow FB running deep?)  Running backward to avoid a sack in FG range is always stupid.

The point is everyone left some big plays on the field and we still barely lost even though we have deficient talent at WR, RB2, LB, DE, and made some coaching errors. 

I AM CALM TODAY. WE WILL BE BACK AND BETTER NEXT YEAR, WIN THE AFC EAST, AND TEAMS WILL START TO FEAR US. 

i went to to the 89 game in Cleveland and this game is that moment for this team. The prime difference is this team is younger and we don’t have a QB who already had played 5 years of pro football. I am very proud of this team and excited about their future. 

Really great post.Thorough...almost.

I still worry about JA---he was showing poor instincts on countless drives.Which is more than just a few 'mistakes' that you can add up.Its the fundamentals of how he plays.He was thinking too much out there and panicking etc etc etc.Lets not pretend that JA and therefore the entire Bills organization is out of the woods.Remember a guy named Colin Kaepernik??? The great athlete with the great arm and tremendous running ability?? There is still the risk that JA could turn into that if he is not properly mentored. being great for 1/3 of a game and lost for 2/3 of the game  consistently isnt good enough. 

50 minutes ago, Locomark said:

This is exactly where I’m at and was thinking the same this morning, thanks for writing it all up.  Team just needs TALENT plain and simple.  You can add Poyer to the list for hating contact, Murphy for always losing contain, White for over-cushioning, Ford for sucking at his job, Spain for the self-induced slow spin move whiff on a stunt, the list goes on and on.  There was also a 3rd and 3 play in the first half where Allen rolled out and threw low to McKensie who fell making the catch - there was no one in front of him for 70 yards, it would’ve been the play of the season but Allen couldn’t complete a basic four yard flick (dude needs a sports psychologist, he has some form of the YIPS where his brain goes faster than everyone else on the field and his own body).  But mainly, the team needs TALENT.  They are a few playmakers short.  The Texans’ three blue chip players made the difference end of story.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Analysis aside, it was one of the most exciting football games I've seen in a long time. It had everything - trick plays, fumbles, sacks, crazy QB scrambles, clutch plays on offense, clutch plays on defense, big mistakes,  big hits, controversial calls, last second drama, and even a bunch of extra time for more craziness. The highlight reel on nfl.com is almost nine minutes long, and it doesn't even include the kickoff TD debacle.

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tcali said:

I still worry about JA---he was showing poor instincts on countless drives.Which is more than just a few 'mistakes' that you can add up.Its the fundamentals of how he plays.He was thinking too much out there and panicking etc etc etc.Lets not pretend that JA and therefore the entire Bills organization is out of the woods.Remember a guy named Colin Kaepernik??? The great athlete with the great arm and tremendous running ability?? There is still the risk that JA could turn into that if he is not properly mentored. being great for 1/3 of a game and lost for 2/3 of the game  consistently isnt good enough. 

The Kaepernick comparison seems right on the money today (not the drama of course which likely derailed a decent 10 year career).  Fingers crossed for more than that.

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What is really painful was the GW play. Two guys nailed Watson. Because of the physics of two guys sandwiching him, by dumb luck, he stays on his feet. That should have been a sack and way out of FG range. 

I keep thinking about this play and you know this is also partially due to the rule changes in the hits to the QB. Normally old school a safety blitz you would ask your guy to go low due to their size to make sure the QB goes down. With the rule change you can’t. So you are forced to go higher which allows for those bounce off plays. It benefits us in the future because we have a big tough QB. 

Siran didn’t use great technique on that hit. The result could have been different but that was also a world class play by Watson. 

Add that play to the 3 guys not blocking the MLB on that wide open QB sweep in OT and those two plays exemplify that football is about “blocking and tackling.”

2 hours ago, Tcali said:

I rewatched many of those plays. It’s way oversimplified that those are all Josh. The backpedal sack was a really bad screen setup by the OL. One of the FG sacks was a complete whiff by our interior OL. We still need talent improvement and Josh improvement. Go back and watch Beasley for instance. He was rarely open and all his yardage was basically one play. You can’t throw when you don’t have guys open or when you have to keep your TE in because you have a mediocre RT or when your RB2 is no threat. I am not a Josh apologist. I see he had flaws but he is surrounded by offensive mediocrity. He gets one block in OT on that sweep and we are winners today. He made 2 3rd and long OT throws to get us that close. 

Our offense needs 6 more points a game and we are championship caliber. The same cast next year will probably yield 3 points just due to maturity and playing Singletary. Imagine if we get a WR1, a RB2, and a true RT. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

A win is fun. Losing is not fun. It is never fun. If losing doesn't piss you off then it's a problem.

It does not piss me of personally.
Use to be fully immersed. But 4 losing SBs took the sails out of my wind.
For me it is just fun.

and it was.

Next year will be too,

Lets keep in mind how many Non fun years we have had.

The answer is most of them

This year was nailbiters each week

Go Bills

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

I rewatched many of those plays. It’s way oversimplified that those are all Josh. The backpedal sack was a really bad screen setup by the OL. One of the FG sacks was a complete whiff by our interior OL. We still need talent improvement and Josh improvement. Go back and watch Beasley for instance. He was rarely open and all his yardage was basically one play. You can’t throw when you don’t have guys open or when you have to keep your TE in because you have a mediocre RT or when your RB2 is no threat. I am not a Josh apologist. I see he had flaws but he is surrounded by offensive mediocrity. He gets one block in OT on that sweep and we are winners today. He made 2 3rd and long OT throws to get us that close. 

Our offense needs 6 more points a game and we are championship caliber. The same cast next year will probably yield 3 points just due to maturity and playing Singletary. Imagine if we get a WR1, a RB2, and a true RT. 

Good post.

One of the things we have to be patient on ( and i am the worst offender ) is Josh finding the open guy when things break down.being aware of check downs and making use of them. Comes with time , exp and growth/maturity. If they shut down Beasley, and they were likely determined to. You have to look at the other options.
Combination of Coaching and QB.
 and throwing the ball away from the pocket when you see the Blocking was wrong. Throw it long and hard over everyone.

Some say it is the skills set.
But we shut down Hopkins for a half and he is the best or quite nearly.
11 players need to do their job. thats the answer imho

and yes about RT

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hate to bump this, but...

God DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why did you do this?!?!?!

Now I hate Daboll all over again and want him fired tomorrow!!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hate to bump this, but...

For everyone who thinks Singletary needs a lot more snaps, watch this on a loop.  Josh HAS to get rid of that ball, but DS crapped his pants there.  (And Matt Parrino needs some help counting to four.)

Edited by Billl

27 minutes ago, Billl said:

For everyone who thinks Singletary needs a lot more snaps, watch this on a loop.  Josh HAS to get rid of that ball, but DS crapped his pants there.  (And Matt Parrino needs some help counting to four.)

It's a 3 man rush that gets to Allen almost immediately because of an absolute failure on Singletary and Lee Smith.

3 man rush means there were 8 guys in coverage. 

Josh just didn't stand a chance.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's a 3 man rush that gets to Allen almost immediately because of an absolute failure on Singletary and Lee Smith.

That’s on Dawkins, actually. The whole interior got caught looking at JJ Watt, and the RB is supposed to chip DE from what it looks like to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Singletary is a rookie who will learn.

What’s Smith’s excuse?

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Singletary's struggles in pass pro are a reason why Gore ended up on the field so much when the Bills are trying to score. He needs to work on that in the offseason. I have actually been a little surprised by his struggles there. It was one of the things I liked about him on tape coming out. Just proof if needed that blocking college players and blocking NFL players is a very different ball game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1