What was the Bill's Play-of-the-Decade?

cage

If we don’t win that snow game, that season is over and the drought continues. I think that game was maybe the most important game of that season and that season was the most important of the decade. I’d say that in that game however, the Joe Webb pass on 3rd down (as OT was winding down) was the play of the game and of the decade. The 3rd string qb (who was more of a STs guy) thrust into the game late and needs to complete a bomb in the driving snow to save the season. Nobody could pass all day. It is the most unlikely and incredible result of a play to keep us in that game. It’s easily forgotten but that play was legitimately inconceivable considering the players involved.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We had a very bad WR corps last year

The funny part was once we started playing Foster and MacKenzie more we started scoring points.  I believe the last 8 games we averaged something like 23 PPG.  I think we'd take that right about now.

Edited by matter2003

Was the Florence pick six of Brady this decade? I realize it didn’t really indicate a shift in our relationship, but it got a monkey off our back in a big way. 

Aside from that, definitely the snow game. Definitely Allen’s 4th and 1. 

Hard to define a decade so filled with mediocrity. 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:48 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I really loved Fred Jackson's stiff arm OT run. Not really many plays that stand out.

Good choice, but being honest a lot of players have Chris Conte on their highlight reel. He was as soft as baby ?.

How about Fred's 80 yard TD against the Giants? That was a loss though IIRC.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was when God ripped the balls out of Stevie Johnson's hands for what would have been the winning touchdown 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Damn.  Didn't see this when I posted.  God doesn't show up on the replay, though.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/1/2020 at 9:12 AM, Virgil said:

That video was great and honestly pretty accurate.  

I agree with the snow play for us because it was possibly the most significant play for us this past decade.  Winning that game got us into the playoffs.  

The long pass to Freddie against the Pats was probably the most exciting, but in a losing season.  

The Allen to Foster pass was the best pure pass over the TO bomb.  

Snow play makes the most sense... Joe Webb to Deonte Thompson was right up there though.  3rd and 6 - disaster snow conditions - on our own 39 with under 2 to play in OT. 

3rd string QB in due to injuries to TT and NP... Probably leading towards a tie which wouldve been bad for playoff chances etc.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, thebandit27 said:

I actually like the idea of having a Brad Smith/Joe Webb/Taysom Hill type that can play WR, ST, KR, and be an emergency QB. I would always want one of those dudes on my roster. He'd also be my holder on place kicks to keep the threat of a fake alive on all attempts.

I always say the same thing.  Guys mostly there to be a special teams guy - and doesn't know the entire Offensive playbook necessarily.  Some gadget plays maybe, and a limited playbook for QB.  If things get to your emergency QB you need to just scale your O way back anyway - Lot of option and a fair amount of misdirection style passing.

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Snow play makes the most sense... Joe Webb to Deonte Thompson was right up there though.  3rd and 6 - disaster snow conditions - on our own 39 with under 2 to play in OT. 

3rd string QB in due to injuries to TT and NP... Probably leading towards a tie which wouldve been bad for playoff chances etc.

I always say the same thing.  Guys mostly there to be a special teams guy - and doesn't know the entire Offensive playbook necessarily.  Some gadget plays maybe, and a limited playbook for QB.  If things get to your emergency QB you need to just scale your O way back anyway - Lot of option and a fair amount of misdirection style passing.

So Lynn Bowden Jr in the 4th then?

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The funny part was once we started playing Foster and MacKenzie more we started scoring points.  I believe the last 8 games we averaged something like 23 PPG.  I think we'd take that right about now.

2 each against the jets and fins defenses kind of helped too.  Both teams in free fall... but we also had 5 games before the jets game where buffalo scored under 10 so... it wasn't just the schedule softening up - there was some improvement for sure.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

So Lynn Bowden Jr in the 4th then?

Yes - also teach him to punt a little bit.  Doesn't need to be great, but good enough that if its like 4th and 4 from midfield... we can put him out there and make them account for it.  

On 1/1/2020 at 6:21 AM, cage said:

NFL released a pretty awesome video montage showing every team's play-of-the-decade.  This question should probably be a poll, but there's no way I can do that justice, so I'll just ask it here...for this video they picked Shady's TD run to win the Snow Bowl game in OT.  While there's probably a FitzMagic moment I'm missing, I'll put forth 2 candidates:

-- Josh Allen's 75 yard bomb to Foster against the Jags last year.  This came after he returned from the injury, he was under heavy pressure and stood in the pocket.  In my mind this is one of the key plays where the team really started to believe in him

-- Allen QB sneak fumble/recovery on 4th down against Dallas on Thanksgiving.  Big national spotlight, big moment in the game.  I think this is where the rest of the league started to notice him

Submit your entries and even better if you include a video clip of the play....

i think josh's leap over the Minnesota LB is where the team started to believe.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, thebandit27 said:

I actually like the idea of having a Brad Smith/Joe Webb/Taysom Hill type that can play WR, ST, KR, and be an emergency QB. I would always want one of those dudes on my roster. He'd also be my holder on place kicks to keep the threat of a fake alive on all attempts.

Zach Line

On 1/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I kind of looked at it as “most important plays”:

It really is crazy to think but the Bills play of the decade is definitely Dalton to Boyd (and it really isn’t close). 

If we are talking a play that involves the Bills it may be the Stevie Johnson drop. That play started the entire “Bills Mafia” movement. That has changed the perception of the organization to the entire world. As weird as it sounds that day changed the future. Our fan base became the envy of the league over the next few years and a rallying cry for players everywhere.  The Bills players are connected to the fans unlike in any other place. This really was the day that the rest of the world was exposed to our passion. It set the table for the culture that we have.

In terms of positive plays Fred Jackson trucking Steltz in Chicago jumps out, Sammy vs. Minnesota, EJ vs. Carolina, Charles Clay in Atlanta, Josh sneak in Dallas, Josh hurdle in Minnesota and the Kyle Williams TD. These all popped right into my head and I’m sure there are tons more but don’t want to keep listing.

Love that piece about the mafia, never really thought about it like that.

the Bengals play is huge but i just cant count it as its not the bills making it.

winning in Pittsburgh is our most important game (pick a play out of that) of the decade as we got in by ourselves and in early.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:45 AM, JMF2006 said:

I liked this one Fitz to TO I think its a franchise record

A close second was Fitz to Stevie in the comeback win over the Pats

Didn't that play happen in 2009? 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I thought it was when God ripped the balls out of Stevie Johnson's hands for what would have been the winning touchdown 

Damn.  Didn't see this when I posted.  God doesn't show up on the replay, though.  

I think God is getting a little old to play football. 

• Haha (+1) 1