"Lack of bodies" in week 17

Dan Darragh

The NFL should allow teams to dress their entire roster and practice squad in week 17.  It doesn't do the league any good to have playoff-bound teams watch their starters go down in meaningless games.

Baseball has a version of this with the 40 man rosters in September.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

The NFL should allow teams to dress their entire roster and practice squad in week 17.  It doesn't do the league any good to have playoff-bound teams watch their starters go down in meaningless games.

Keep practicing 

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’ll duly vote for you at the next commissioner’s election meeting. It feels appropriate to also add a, “get r done Beane” shoutout here. :)

I've already been silenced by my family with all my ideas for rule changes that would improve games, such as having an over and back rule in soccer like in basketball. 

But I DID come up with 3-on-3 for overtime before the NHL did.  Actually my idea was 5 minutes of 4-on-4, followed by 5 minutes of 3-on-3, followed by 5 minutes of 2-on-2, then 5 minutes of just the goalies.  Don't know about you but I would NEVER leave a game early if that was the rule.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

You, Sir, are a steely-eyed missile man.

Good call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Pat Kirwan on NFL Network's Moving the Chains has been advocating for years that the NFL increase the game day roster size and practice squad size.  Given the number of injuries in the NFL and the NFL's claimed interest in player safety, he is dead on right.  I expect that if the season is lengthened to 17 or 18 games the League will absolutely have to consider this.

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

I've already been silenced by my family with all my ideas for rule changes that would improve games, such as having an over and back rule in soccer like in basketball. 

But I DID come up with 3-on-3 for overtime before the NHL did.  Actually my idea was 5 minutes of 4-on-4, followed by 5 minutes of 3-on-3, followed by 5 minutes of 2-on-2, then 5 minutes of just the goalies.  Don't know about you but I would NEVER leave a game early if that was the rule.

What is an "over and back" rule?

With them going to 17 game seasons than they also should change the game day Rosters and allow all 53 to dress all 17. 

players won’t want bigger rosters means more cap going to more players and more snaps to more players. 

the Inactive list is STUPID anyway. You have a 53 man Roster. Pay a 53 Man Roster. Have a 53 man roster count against cap. Should have the ENTIRE 53 man roster on Game Day

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With them going to 17 game seasons than they also should change the game day Rosters and allow all 53 to dress all 17. 

players won’t want bigger rosters means more cap going to more players and more snaps to more players. 

the Inactive list is STUPID anyway. You have a 53 man Roster. Pay a 53 Man Roster. Have a 53 man roster count against cap. Should have the ENTIRE 53 man roster on Game Day

I agree. The argument has always been it stops teams with an injury crisis who only have say 48 healthy guys from being disadvantaged. But then it is on to how you manage your roster as well.

15 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

Pat Kirwan on NFL Network's Moving the Chains has been advocating for years that the NFL increase the game day roster size and practice squad size.  Given the number of injuries in the NFL and the NFL's claimed interest in player safety, he is dead on right.  I expect that if the season is lengthened to 17 or 18 games the League will absolutely have to consider this.

Some variant of the NHL's Injured Reserve rules would be useful.

It’s funny to talk about this today because we were talking about it at lunch yesterday. My dad’s buddy had an interesting thought at lunch yesterday. He suggested letting the PS guys dress for week 17 and give them an NFL game check. It would be good exposure and money for them. It protects the team and allows more guys the week off.

• Like (+1) 2

I like the baseball idea. December call ups. 
I am not against not allowing 53 active most of the season. But come December teams out of the playoffs want to audition young talent to see if they get a future/reserve contract and teams with locked up playoff seeding don’t want to play their important players. I’m sure there’s a mixture of December bumping rosters to 57 (in honor of Lorax) and letting 53 active or whatever formula works best. 57 is just a random number I don’t know what would work. 
I don’t get too bothered teams can’t have all 53 active because it does create strategy and also tries to keep some form of a level playing field. Hate to see teams be too fully loaded for game days. Imagine Drew Brees or Mahomes with 8 receivers to rotate in all game long with fresh legs. Yikes. Or Baltimore with 8 tight ends (another poor joke) 

Edited by Rc2catch

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Don't play them.

I'd say 53 - since there would be no like base salary changes based off of it.  You would just have to take out contract things that factor in being active on gamedays. 

Practice squad players get a reduced salary, so exposing them to games for no additional money exposes them to possible injuries while being paid well below the league minimum and not actually accruing contract years.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Don't play them.

It's clearly said on here that it really isn't possible to just "not play your starters" - since 7 players can be made inactive... we only carry 9 Olinemen so someone has to play... we have 5 corners and 1 was inactive - someone has to play.  

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'd say 53 - since there would be no like base salary changes based off of it.  You would just have to take out contract things that factor in being active on gamedays. 

Practice squad players get a reduced salary, so exposing them to games for no additional money exposes them to possible injuries while being paid well below the league minimum and not actually accruing contract years.

It's clearly said on here that it really isn't possible to just "not play your starters" - since 7 players can be made inactive... we only carry 9 Olinemen so someone has to play... we have 5 corners and 1 was inactive - someone has to play.  

True but all teams face these same decisions.   Some teams have to play all starters at the end of the year to get into the playoffs on week 17 or to get a better seeding.   This would give them an unfair disadvantage with injury risk exposure vs a team with the luxury to call up the scrubs and trot them out there for the last game.

Edited by Mr. WEO

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True but all teams face these same decisions.   Some teams have to play all starters at the end of the year to get into the playoffs on week 17 or to get a better seeding.   This would give them an unfair disadvantage with injury risk exposure vs a team with the luxury to call up the scrubs and trot them out there for the last game.

The simple answer is have 53 active all season long for every game.  That way it's fair for every team all season long and no one can claim to be disadvantaged (or advantaged) at any point in time.  I don't know whether that has salary cap implications or incentive clause implications but, if so, I'm guessing would be minimal.  It just seems to me that from a player safety and quality of play point of view, that makes sense.  I would love to know the League's rationale for limiting the game day roster to such a low, arbitrary number, especially as the game has evolved and we have more specialization by players while at the same time having more injuries.

• Like (+1) 1