Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

assuming we can land shurmer or someone like that, i'm all for dabol leaving to another team.

him trotting gore out and running him into a wall so often, duke never playing although he is our only big body wr, him taking so long to make motor or offensive focus (and still kinda getting away from him as well), our inability to beat aggressive blitzes with man coverage, NO ABILITY TO RUN A SCREEN, and most importantly the penalties and lack of offensive identity just shows that our O isn't cohesive, we don't have bread and butter go to plays, and our ability to score in the redzone and convert third and long with the best in the NFL is simply a function of allen using his legs and extending plays, not his drawn up O.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A large number of the fans here would rejoice and then prepare to skewer the next sacrificial lamb who takes the Bills' OC job. 

Daboll would be a loss not necessarily because he is the greatest play caller (he isn't) but because this is the critical offseason in Josh's development. It is the worst possible time for a new scheme and him to have to build a new relationship. Oh and Dabes just isn't as bad a Coordinator as the mob would have you believe. 

Oh and also I haven't read all 8 pages but I hope @Kirby Jackson is here to dish out some humble pie to the Daboll blamers who were arguing until blue in the face 3 weeks ago that this guy couldn't possibly get HC looks. 

Well, I didn't think he would.  I don't think it would be a move in either party's best long-term interest.  I think Daboll is still progressing as an NFL OC.  I think he would be well-served to stay here and master the role/let it get comfortable enough that he can see beyond it.  But this IS the Browns.

12 hours ago, the skycap said:

May take Gaine with him to be GM?

Gaine is not Daboll's pair of shoes to pack or leave

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Teams usually do not allow their coaches to interview while they are involved in the playoffs.

BAD move if the Bills actually allow this.

Is it actually said that they will allow him to interview during preparation after we beat the Texans?  Or is the "next week" stuff just inferred by writers who think we'll lose?

they have to. Interview will be next week and the Bills get to dictate the day. 

this was all changed a couple years ago. 

so if I am Bills. Yes you can Interview Daboll. It will be next Friday at 8pm in Buffalo. Enjoy

Edited by MAJBobby

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oh, great, so they are supposedly distracting from our playoff run in an "intel gathering" move?

?

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Why are we assuming that Daboll is to credit for Josh's progression. Could it not be just as likely that Dorsey's work with him this year was the difference? 

I had the exact same question

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

they have to. Interview will be next week and the Bills get to dictate the day. 

this was all changed a couple years ago. 

so if I am Bills. Yes you can Interview Daboll. It will be next Friday at 8pm in Buffalo. Enjoy

Do we get to dictate the place as well?

5 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Can someones account be deleted for such a stupid egregious post?

No.  Stupidity is not against the TOS, only certain manners of displaying it

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, colin said:

assuming we can land shurmer or someone like that, i'm all for dabol leaving to another team.

him trotting gore out and running him into a wall so often, duke never playing although he is our only big body wr, him taking so long to make motor or offensive focus (and still kinda getting away from him as well), our inability to beat aggressive blitzes with man coverage, NO ABILITY TO RUN A SCREEN, and most importantly the penalties and lack of offensive identity just shows that our O isn't cohesive, we don't have bread and butter go to plays, and our ability to score in the redzone and convert third and long with the best in the NFL is simply a function of allen using his legs and extending plays, not his drawn up O.

sigh.  personnel is not a great fit for the screen game. guards are slow and receivers are small.  But we should run it anyways so people can complain about how we run too many ineffective screens. 

Want to beat aggressive blitzes?  Have John brown win a slant against Baltimore.  Yes, Allen generally has to be better in that respect, but it’s not all on him or daboll.  Sometimes it’s personnel. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

sigh.  personnel is not a great fit for the screen game. guards are slow and receivers are small.  But we should run it anyways so people can complain about how we run too many ineffective screens. 

Want to beat aggressive blitzes?  Have John brown win a slant against Baltimore.  Yes, Allen generally has to be better in that respect, but it’s not all on him or daboll.  Sometimes it’s personnel. 

ok, so you think we just don't have the horses to run a screen play, whatever.  i disagree, i think we simply don't prepare and practice for it because we have too many plays and formations taking up all of our time.

what about our lack of 3rd and makable, or lack of offensive identity, or constantly running gore into a pile?  sometimes it's not personal, sometimes it's coaching.

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't think Daboll would take the job - I sure as hell wouldn't. I would wait for a better opp

If you aren't going to seriously consider the job, why distract yourself from your team during playoffs?

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

As far as potential OC replacements go, I would be far more interested in Kellen Moore than Jason Garrett. I’d prefer to just keep Daboll over anyone else though. 

Help me understand the Kellen Moore love because what I saw from him in Dallas this season made no freakin' sense

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you aren't going to seriously consider the job, why distract yourself from your team during playoffs?

Help me understand the Kellen Moore love because what I saw from him in Dallas this season made no freakin' sense

My gut feel is that it’s still mainly Garrett standing in Moore’s way from being able to call the game he actually wants. I think the first few weeks of the wide open offense was Moore, but if we know that the play calling of the last few years overall is actually what both Garrett and Moore want, I’d stay away from both.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Big numbers. But I agree. Situationally I thought Dallas were awful. There was the end of that Vikings game where Prescott was hot got them down the field and then they suddenly went to Zeke in the redzone 3 times. Then the Patriots game in awful weather where they hardly ran Zeke 2nd half. Saints game early on they stuck with Zeke even though the Saints were all out to try and stop him. He averaged less than 2 a carry I think and they ran him like 20 times.

Numbers, good. Situationally, poor.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Billznut said:

That’s what I’m afraid of most of Daboll leaves 

I dont understand the fear. We didn't know what we were getting in Mc Dermott as a first time head coach. Ken Dorsey a former QB (Reich & Pederson worked out fine as OC's). Ken Dorsey could be exactly what the offense needs if Dabol left. 

Edited by BBills88