What’s with the Face Mask debacle?

It certainly should have been a block in the back... YE OLE won’t argue that, but the flag came out during the face mask from an official that was looking right at it. It clearly should have offset, and the refs huddled up forever and a day to discuss it. If they legitimately missed the blatant face mask, it shouldn’t have taken so damn long to discuss what in their minds was a routine block in the back infraction. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I wish McDermott challenged the OPI just out of spite. 

Me too. You could tell he really wanted to. He was clenching the flag like he wanted to throw it. Someone in his ear must have given him a hard no. You could even read his lips "WHY NOT?!" ?

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

3 games in a row with bad calls or non-calls an Face Mask infractions.  

NFL refs miss multiple calls, every week. Some (several?) of them game changing. Ask the saints. This is nothing new; there’s no conspiracy. Just incompetence. Al Riveron has about used up all his good will. He’s no longer a useful idiot for ol’ Rog and the league so I suspect he’s fired after the season. Maybe someone else comes in that knows what they’re doing.

6 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Additionally, I can’t tell you how many helmet to helmet hits I’ve seen across the league that got no call. 

Absolutely. It will not change unless people start tuning out. Bottom line. It’s disheartening I know, but until there is a critical mass of people demanding they get better, and not watching until they do, nothing will improve as far as officiating goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was referring to 3 games in a row with opposite calls or missed calls on Face Mask infractions.  Against the Steelers, they called one on Edmunds that just didn't happen at all.  Against New England they missed one on Josh that should have given us half the distance to the goal, and more time to tie the game.  Yesterday they whiffed on one on our WR, while noticing an illegal block.  

They miss calls all the time, but I was curious about the trend to screw up face mask calls, each one to our disadvantage.