[Edited title] Duke williams should play

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I suppose i was speaking to next year on Kroft, Hapless.

Agreed about Knox

and agreed about Sweeney

No knocks on Kroft, but i would like to see Sweeney staring next year ( earning it of course) and Williams the #4.

Foster is missing something up there i feel.

Good points about the reps. : )

On next year....what to do on TE is one of Beane's most critical roster decisions IMO.   We badly need a reliable pass-catching TE.  Knox looks brilliant at times, but drops 1 out of 5 targets (others should be considered "catchable".  It's not clear to me that he and Josh are always on the same page as far as routes.  A full off season and a chance to work with Josh off season may help tremendously.

Or may not.  Do we want to bet on that?  I think Sunday was a chance for Kroft to "show up" and "prove he is who we thought he was".  He was on the field for 47% of the offensive snaps and finished with 1 reception on 4 targets for 5 yds.  I don't think that's the outcome they had in mind for him. 

So Beane needs to look at who is there in FA and decide do I go TE shopping in FA and/or the draft?  Or do I take a bet that amoung those 3 guys, 2 will step

up?

31 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I'll trust Joe Marino's take.  He says it's not Duke over McKenzie or Foster.  It's Duke over Kurt Coleman as the roster choice.  Also, I have not heard/read any evaluation of Duke's run blocking post Jets game but I thought it was very good against the Titans.  I prefer physical tenacity over finesse in most offensive situations.  I'd think he could win most any matchup vs. a DB3.

Joe Marino?

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Stop with this stupid ST argument. You do realize that over 80% of all ST plays result in touchbacks or fair catches. If I had a good #3 wr (who Duke is) I'd find other players to fill my ST squad. And I also don't buy this nonsense that Duke can't play ST. These coaches are just being stupid & stubborn in wasting targets on Foster, Roberts & McKenzie. In 3 games Duke has more yards than Foster and Roberts combined being activated 12-14 games.

It's not Hap's argument but McDermott's, so take it up with the coach.  As explained, he sits down with the three coordinators and they collectively decide the game day roster.  Looks like McDermott places equal value to ST decisions, which is why Foster gets the nod over Duke.  You can argue that it's the wrong decision, but that's his call.

Roberts is a key ST contributor and McKenzie plays a big role in the offense.  The only one who you may question sitting would be Foster and his contribution as a gunner, and ask why a physical Duke can't do that job?   But clearly, after 6 months of practices, the coaches feel that he's not as good on ST as Foster.

1 minute ago, GG said:

It's not Hap's argument but McDermott's, so take it up with the coach.  As explained, he sits down with the three coordinators and they collectively decide the game day roster.  Looks like McDermott places equal value to ST decisions, which is why Foster gets the nod over Duke.  You can argue that it's the wrong decision, but that's his call.

Roberts is a key ST contributor and McKenzie plays a big role in the offense.  The only one who you may question sitting would be Foster and his contribution as a gunner, and ask why a physical Duke can't do that job?   But clearly, after 6 months of practices, the coaches feel that he's not as good on ST as Foster.

screw special teams.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Stop with this stupid ST argument. You do realize that over 80% of all ST plays result in touchbacks or fair catches. If I had a good #3 wr (who Duke is) I'd find other players to fill my ST squad. And I also don't buy this nonsense that Duke can't play ST. These coaches are just being stupid & stubborn in wasting targets on Foster, Roberts & McKenzie. In 3 games Duke has more yards than Foster and Roberts combined being activated 12-14 games.

Settle down with the orders and the adjectives, @LABILLBACKER

I get it that you would make different choices than McDermott and his assistants are making.  That doesn't make their choices stupid, nor does it make the words of people who point out their reasons "stupid arguments"

Roberts has 887 yds of kick and punt returns.  He's averaging 26.6 yds on kick returns with a long of 66, which might lead one to say "yeah, he should stop running them out" except that a number of the ones he runs are outside the endzone.

I believe I've read that Houston has one of the best ST games in the league esp. for returns.  We did in fact give up a couple big returns that put our D in a hole earlier in the season, and a TD on a return vs. Miami.

Further arguments could be made but I get the "flick" that you wouldn't agree and it would just be a waste of electrons.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Settle down with the orders and the adjectives, @LABILLBACKER

I get it that you would make different choices than McDermott and his assistants are making.  That doesn't make their choices stupid, nor does it make the words of people who point out their reasons "stupid arguments"

Roberts has 887 yds of kick and punt returns.  He's averaging 26.6 yds on kick returns with a long of 66, which might lead one to say "yeah, he should stop running them out" except that a number of the ones he runs are outside the endzone.

I believe I've read that Houston has one of the best ST games in the league esp. for returns.  We did in fact give up a couple big returns that put our D in a hole earlier in the season, and a TD on a return vs. Miami.

Further arguments could be made but I get the "flick" that you wouldn't agree and it would just be a waste of electrons.

Speaking of ST, Hauschka made 14 of his last 15 FG attempts this season, which was a very nice bounceback from a rough first half. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bojo, on the other hand, is 0.2 ypp away from last in the league

I never understood the value of ypp.  Bojo is 3rd in the league with 34 punts inside the 20.  He's been inconsistent, but comparing him to Colquitt (who many TBDers wanted the Bills to get), he's had a much better season.  Bojo has punted nearly twice as many times and they have nearly identical "opponents' return yards," for the season.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=reg&mode=U&conf=&limit=all&sort=puntin20

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On next year....what to do on TE is one of Beane's most critical roster decisions IMO.   We badly need a reliable pass-catching TE.  Knox looks brilliant at times, but drops 1 out of 5 targets (others should be considered "catchable".  It's not clear to me that he and Josh are always on the same page as far as routes.  A full off season and a chance to work with Josh off season may help tremendously.

Or may not.  Do we want to bet on that?  I think Sunday was a chance for Kroft to "show up" and "prove he is who we thought he was".  He was on the field for 47% of the offensive snaps and finished with 1 reception on 4 targets for 5 yds.  I don't think that's the outcome they had in mind for him. 

So Beane needs to look at who is there in FA and decide do I go TE shopping in FA and/or the draft?  Or do I take a bet that amoung those 3 guys, 2 will step

up?

Joe Marino?

Still have Croom don't we? Croom, Knox, Sweeney, Kroft and hmm... Smith? We my be OK with TE.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bojo, on the other hand, is 0.2 ypp away from last in the league

Yeah, he's terrible. He's also wildly inconsistent, which is almost worse than the poor ypp average. I swear to god it seems like his ypp in the final five minutes of games is 20 ypp.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I'll trust Joe Marino's take.  He says it's not Duke over McKenzie or Foster.  It's Duke over Kurt Coleman as the roster choice.  Also, I have not heard/read any evaluation of Duke's run blocking post Jets game but I thought it was very good against the Titans.  I prefer physical tenacity over finesse in most offensive situations.  I'd think he could win most any matchup vs. a DB3.

His blocking vs Jets was superb.  He made 2 key blocks to spring Yeldon for first downs.  He also didn't shy away from contact and stood up a DL a few times. 

He also was on the kick coverage and some punts.  They didn't use him as a gunner but as inline blocker.  He didn't embarrass himself.  Foster was passable as the gunner (Bills ST would be in much bigger trouble if Perry or Neal went down.) 

There definitely is something going on during the week where the coaches aren't fully comfortable in activating Duke for most of the games, because on Sundays, he delivers.

• Like (+1) 1

Not activating DW was and is a point of failure by Sean, and or Brian, the guy delivers the goods every time they use him. Saying this does not mean I don’t think SM is a good Head coach, because he is a very good HC, it is just this specific point of failure.  It is what it is fellas, 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Still have Croom don't we? Croom, Knox, Sweeney, Kroft and hmm... Smith? We my be OK with TE.

Croom is on PTO. 

Pegula Time Off. 

Honestly expect him to move into a administrative/football operations position at some point. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

JMO but at this point Foster over DW makes little sense. I get that STs are important but my take is that Williams would add more to this offence in particular (lacking a physical WR with good hands) than Foster adds to STs. Plus Williams plays with passion and football is that kind of game. As a presence on the football field Foster completely fades into impalpability by comparison. To me that right there is reason enuf to sit him if not release him outright. Coach is outsmarting himself here IMO. Can't get away from the notion that personalities might have something to do with it. If that is true it's more on Coach than the player. Williams would seem to have bought in and has kept his nose clean. I'm all for culture - except when it turns into dogma. 

Having said that Foster will probably rack up 100+yards and 2 TDs in Houston - but I'm not holding my breath. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

up?

Joe Marino?

Joe Marino--Locked on Bills

Very good podcast.  Has a good, professional broadcast voice, his family lived on Grand Island for a time before moving to NC, he is a Bills fan and he does draft evaluations for the The Draft Network which I find to be better than most.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

up?

Joe Marino?

I might consider this issue lans more upon J Allen. How the TE plays out

Mentioned here and there. One of the reasons Sweeney and Duke looked so decent was they they have been repping with Barkley most often.
 Bills should be able to make best use of the TEs they have  imho.

Daboll and Allen would do well to focus on that.