Bills at Texans Playoff Game, Saturday 4:35 pm

wppete

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Possible smoke screen but it makes sense that he'll be on a snap count in his first game back from injury.

I anticipate him primarily playing on obvious passing downs. No way he is in football shape to take a lot of snaps.  But he is a physical freak so who knows. Guess we will find out in a few days. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, Dr. K said:

Because the amnesia, and the continual beating on Peterman long after he's gone, indicates that some Bills fans can't let go of their whipping boys, to the point where they have to make them worse than they were. It's a kind of cognitive dissonance, the flipside of which is those who will not admit any flaws in their heroes. 

Look up Manichaeism. 

The idiot lost numerous games on his own merit for being otherworldly bad.

I gotcher Manichaeism. Right here!

F0A3837D-9AA0-4EA8-85BA-AE8EAD2C7A2F.jpeg

On 12/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, Sig1Hunter said:

Doesn’t the new decade technically start in 2021?

Well, yes, technically. But we made all these plans! So..

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The idiot lost numerous games on his own merit for being otherworldly bad.

I gotcher Manichaeism. Right here!

F0A3837D-9AA0-4EA8-85BA-AE8EAD2C7A2F.jpeg

Well, yes, technically. But we made all these plans! So..

I faced him in college!  I got a single off of him.  I topped the ball, it hit the corner of home plate and went straight up in the air.  I beat it out before the second baseman could deliver it to first.  In the books, it looks like a line drive to right center.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does anyone else, looking at Josh Allen and Coach McD presser, feel that they're overblowing the Texans D a bit? 

Yes, we need to take them seriously, we need to take every defense seriously, but I'd like to perceive a bit more swag.

Have you ever watched a Belichick press conference?  Every team they play is unbelievably good in all facets of the game.  This is coachspeak 101 -- don't give your opponents any reason to feel disrespected.

I'm surprised you think the comments made by McD or Josh to the media reflect anything about the team's mindset.  You've been analyzing these PCs far too much lately, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does anyone else, looking at Josh Allen and Coach McD presser, feel that they're overblowing the Texans D a bit? 

Yes, we need to take them seriously, we need to take every defense seriously, but I'd like to perceive a bit more swag.

External messaging vs internal messaging

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you expand a bit?

Could be my personal interpretation, it appears that McD is hinting that Allen is still not where they would like him to be for the offense to function properly.   I think it's evident in some of the hesitation that shows up on film where Allen doesn't quite trust the route and by the time he does, the window closes.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Very interesting comment by McD, especially in light of all the Daboll talk this week.

Yeah, he has to “trust” those guys some more. Those are the same guys he hits in the hands and they drop the ball or deflect it to the defensive player! 

All joking and complaining aside, I think this may also refer to just dumping the ball down. Josh is always looking off the easy check downs. Barkley took all of those the last game, and there were a lot of easy gains. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Could be my personal interpretation, it appears that McD is hinting that Allen is still not where they would like him to be for the offense to function properly.   I think it's evident in some of the hesitation that shows up on film where Allen doesn't quite trust the route and by the time he does, the window closes.

Just to be clear 'cuz some people miss this, sometimes on film when Allen hesitates, it's strategic.  On the Knox TD he overthrew, Allen got the DL to jump early.  Fairly sick.

I don't think McDermott is hinting about hesitating to pull the trigger.  That's an experience thing for sure, and will hopefully change with time, but it's sort of graduate-school QBing. I think the stuff McDermott wants Allen to see and take is much more basic.  It's a fact that sometimes when Allen goes for the big throw repeatedly (and misses), he is passing up a higher-percentage throw that would with high probability move the chains either on 3rd down, or as a 1st or 2nd down throw.  It's one of these "blessing and a curse" things - the throws Allen tries to take are definitely open and good reads, and the throws Allen passes up are usually short of the Line of Gain, but (for example) when you have Singletary with no defender within 7 yds of him and only one guy with a play, I give Motor a pretty high probability to make that one guy miss and get 'er done.  So trust Singletary and take the shot.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GG said:

That’s on Dorsey too

18 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Yeah, he has to “trust” those guys some more. Those are the same guys he hits in the hands and they drop the ball or deflect it to the defensive player! 

All joking and complaining aside, I think this may also refer to just dumping the ball down. Josh is always looking off the easy check downs. Barkley took all of those the last game, and there were a lot of easy gains. 

Yes to the second - the plays that lead me to suggest that Singletary should be equipped with one of those long white fiberglass poles with an orange flag on top, like a Syracuse fire hydrant, to help Allen find him.

I picture one aspect of the game prep as McDermott paging Allen to his office.  When he gets there, Daboll is seated behind McDermott's desk.  McNasty is behind the door and jumps out to pin Allen while Daboll hurdles the desk (OK, maybe he waddles over it like that New Years fur seal meme), grabs Allen by the ears, and yells "TAKE THE CHECKDOWN!"

Too dramatic?  Maybe they could just send him to the Nap Pods with a Bieber playlist on special earbuds that reiterate "Take the Checkdown" 

It's ironic, all those years the Bills had a QB who would ALWAYS take the checkdown and we longed for someone who would push the ball downfield.  And we've got one, and it's good, except when it goes too far and he NEVER takes the checkdown.

37 minutes ago, eball said:

Have you ever watched a Belichick press conference?  Every team they play is unbelievably good in all facets of the game.  This is coachspeak 101 -- don't give your opponents any reason to feel disrespected.

I'm surprised you think the comments made by McD or Josh to the media reflect anything about the team's mindset.  You've been analyzing these PCs far too much lately, in my opinion.

How about "you do you"?  This is kind of a "cake and eat it" post for a discussion board, IMO.   You put out a genuinely interesting comment about coachspeak.

Then you choke off further commentary by making it 1) personal towards me 2) providing yourself with a ready rejoinder to any further discussion. If I respond with what I'm looking at and hearing and it going beyond coachspeak, you can dismiss it as "Here's another example of analyzing these PCs far too much"

I mean, who knows? I might have a point, and someone other than you might be interested, but I'm not gonna play with a pre-stacked deck.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How about "you do you"?  This is kind of a "cake and eat it" post for a discussion board, IMO.   You put out a genuinely interesting comment about coachspeak.

Then you choke off further commentary by making it 1) personal towards me 2) providing yourself with a ready rejoinder to any further discussion. If I respond with what I'm looking at and hearing and it going beyond coachspeak, you can dismiss it as "Here's another example of analyzing these PCs far too much"

I mean, who knows? I might have a point, and someone other than you might be interested, but I'm not gonna play with a pre-stacked deck.

Hey man, it's just my opinion.  I think anybody looking for genuine insight when a coach/player speaks to the media -- particularly in advance of a playoff game -- is a bit naive.

And wow, you're giving me much more power than I ever presumed to have.  I really "choked off" further commentary?  Interesting.

Enjoy the game, pal.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GG said:

To me it's obvious that Allen is not where they would like him to be YET.  I wouldn't expect Allen to be there yet in only his 2nd year and given the circumstances of his development as a QB.

At the risk of reading to much into things, I actually see this as the Bill's coaches knowing that Allen is close to making a major jump in performance.  They see him in practice every day and they look at the film.  They know that he's on the verge of a breakout and they're anxious for him to get there. 

I bet that if you could go back and be a fly on the wall during Brett Farve's 2nd & 3rd year in Green bay his coaches would sound a lot like Daboll & McD.  They could see they had a budding superstar in the making and were impatient for him to take the leap.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's ironic, all those years the Bills had a QB who would ALWAYS take the checkdown and we longed for someone who would push the ball downfield.  And we've got one, and it's good, except when it goes too far and he NEVER takes the checkdown.

I am so scarred from our prior check down QBs. I remember the debates on here (pre all-22) where we were debating whether receivers were actually running routes in the middle of the field because the ball was never thrown there. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

To me it's obvious that Allen is not where they would like him to be YET.  I wouldn't expect Allen to be there yet in only his 2nd year and given the circumstances of his development as a QB.

At the risk of reading to much into things, I actually see this as the Bill's coaches knowing that Allen is close to making a major jump in performance.  They see him in practice every day and they look at the film.  They know that he's on the verge of a breakout and they're anxious for him to get there. 

I bet that if you could go back and be a fly on the wall during Brett Farve's 2nd & 3rd year in Green bay his coaches would sound a lot like Daboll & McD.  They could see they had a budding superstar in the making and were impatient for him to take the leap.

Then give him that opportunity!

When was he at his best.  Playing FEARLESS!  When Daboll had actual goo running plays designed into the game plan. 

A leashed Josh isn't what they need.  

JMO 

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

An interesting side tidbit that is super impressive... 

It's twofold -- money to bring in starting quality FAs and re-sign our own, plus the ability to increase depth across the board.

Well done, Sean and Brandon!

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

What does it say about these two that they needed to be carted off the field, Levi couldn't put weight on his foot, and they are back practicing a couple days later? They must have very low pain tolerance.

Did they “need” to be carted off by request? :lol: This is done for precaution by teams for players who have ankle injuries. 

5 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

What does it say about these two that they needed to be carted off the field, Levi couldn't put weight on his foot, and they are back practicing a couple days later? They must have very low pain tolerance.

While it could be, don’t know if it’s a pain tolerance thing. Rather, it’s probably pretty wise to keep weight off things, particularly when you don’t fully know the extent of the injury. We all like seeing guys “walk it off” to give us comfort and because it’s what we’ve become accustomed to, but I look at carting guys off as being overly cautious. Why make them walk all the way back to the locker room when the cart is just sitting there. A very minor tweak to the norm and the way things have traditionally been done. Just my 2 cents though. 

Edited by TheProcess

14 minutes ago, eball said:

It's twofold -- money to bring in starting quality FAs and re-sign our own, plus the ability to increase depth across the board.

Well done, Sean and Brandon!

Yep... And I think the argument can be made that of all those playoff teams you have to go down the list to the Ravens to find a team that is the better all around team.