Ron Rivera - 'Ready to Roll'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001092047/article/silver-ron-rivera-ready-to-roll-into-next-hc-job

I don't typically start threads, but I didn't see this anywhere and didn't see where it might fit.

I took two things from this article:

1. I see where McDermott got his fire for the culture change approach. Reading Ron's comments, I could feel Sean in there.

2. I am so glad that the Jets are planning to stay with Gase. I don't want Ron in the AFC East. Gase is a dumpster fire and Flores is new, so will take some time to see what he can do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001092047/article/silver-ron-rivera-ready-to-roll-into-next-hc-job

I don't typically start threads, but I didn't see this anywhere and didn't see where it might fit.

I took two things from this article:

1. I see where McDermott got his fire for the culture change approach. Reading Ron's comments, I could feel Sean in there.

2. I am so glad that the Jets are planning to stay with Gase. I don't want Ron in the AFC East. Gase is a dumpster fire and Flores is new, so will take some time to see what he can do.

Interesting article.  This struck me:

"I was fortunate that I had an owner who stuck with me past the second year," Rivera said. "If you talk to people in the military, they'll tell you it takes three-to-five years to completely change a culture. It's about making sure, first of all, that everybody understands what the intent and what the vision is. Then you have to map out how you're gonna get there. And as you start to do that, you've got to find out who's in and who's not in."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Ron Rivera seems like a nice guy,  but his Panthers team went down the tubes when McDermott and Beane left.  Could be coincidence, but i doubt it. 

Hard to say.. They churned out no name late round linemen like a champion there under Rivera. Their biggest problem was horrible contracts. Bouncing gm’s and they were handing ridiculous money to average at best players and also paying big money to veterans past their prime. I don’t think Beane had much to do with that. His role I think was more in the draft than cap management but his time here so far says he learned quite a bit from the Carolina mistakes with the cap. 
One thing is for sure, like them or not we definitely took their two best up and comer guys and their organization has paid the price. 
Rivera’s biggest mistake was trying to force them into a 3-4 this year. And kuechly as great as he is was not made for the 3-4. 
I would love to see Beane take Kuechly off their hands for a 1st and maybe Kroft to replace Greg Olsen if/when he retires this year. 
Kuechly may not have a ton of playing time left with that concussion history but I sure would like to see him inside with Milano and Edmunds kicked outside of him. Yikes. 
Sorry my nephew is a monster Carolina fan and we chat trades a lot I know it’s a pretty unlikely scenario 

34 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Ron Rivera seems like a nice guy,  but his Panthers team went down the tubes when McDermott and Beane left.  Could be coincidence, but i doubt it. 

I don't know if it's coincidence.

I do know a lot of coaches who have gone on to more success with second teams have said it helped them to take a "pause year" and reflect on what went right and wrong at their previous gig.

Going straight from "fired" to "interview prep" to "hire assistant coaches and staff for new job" doesn't leave much time for reflection.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like Rivera, and I hope to see him get another HC job. I read in the last day or two that he's a frontrunner for the Redskins job. I like him enough that I hope, for his sake, he doesn't take that job. I think Rivera is a good (not great) coach but is an amazing human being. He was so involved in the community down here when he was the HC of the Panthers. I'd hate to see him take an impossible job working for that awful owner. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think he would be perfect for the Browns. They desperately need a coach that can come in, command the room and truly change the culture there. I think RR could do it.

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Outside of Jags, I could definitely see the Browns.  That coach is toast.

Saw a headline yesterday that the Redskins are in play. There's also been speculation that Gettleman brings him to the Giants.

• Like (+1) 1

rivera dealt with an oft injured qb in cam in a division that has brees and ryan.  defenses were always top notch until they made the ridiculous decision to switch to a 3-4 this year.   they could never replace josh norman after he left and the defense felt that.

• Like (+1) 1

I was never really impressed with him to be honest. They had all world players at key positions and he never really got the most out of them. He’s okay, solid, nothing special. I think he would be better off going somewhere to be a DC. If a team wants him, great. I wouldn’t want a guy like that to be my head coach. People forget how close to fired he was after EJ beat them on that last second touchdown. Then he started that “River boat Ron” stuff and saved his job for a few years. If Fraiser ever leaves I’d take him as a DC here. I kind of doubt he gets another HC job but we will see.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting article.  This struck me:

"I was fortunate that I had an owner who stuck with me past the second year," Rivera said. "If you talk to people in the military, they'll tell you it takes three-to-five years to completely change a culture. It's about making sure, first of all, that everybody understands what the intent and what the vision is. Then you have to map out how you're gonna get there. And as you start to do that, you've got to find out who's in and who's not in."

Turns out, Rivera was an, "Army Brat."  His father was a commissioned officer.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I was never really impressed with him to be honest. They had all world players at key positions and he never really got the most out of them. He’s okay, solid, nothing special. I think he would be better off going somewhere to be a DC. If a team wants him, great. I wouldn’t want a guy like that to be my head coach. People forget how close to fired he was after EJ beat them on that last second touchdown. Then he started that “River boat Ron” stuff and saved his job for a few years. If Fraiser ever leaves I’d take him as a DC here. I kind of doubt he gets another HC job but we will see.

I think the chances that he gets another HC job offer are close to "1"

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Hard to say.. They churned out no name late round linemen like a champion there under Rivera. Their biggest problem was horrible contracts. Bouncing gm’s and they were handing ridiculous money to average at best players and also paying big money to veterans past their prime. I don’t think Beane had much to do with that. His role I think was more in the draft than cap management but his time here so far says he learned quite a bit from the Carolina mistakes with the cap. 
One thing is for sure, like them or not we definitely took their two best up and comer guys and their organization has paid the price. 
Rivera’s biggest mistake was trying to force them into a 3-4 this year. And kuechly as great as he is was not made for the 3-4. 
I would love to see Beane take Kuechly off their hands for a 1st and maybe Kroft to replace Greg Olsen if/when he retires this year. 
Kuechly may not have a ton of playing time left with that concussion history but I sure would like to see him inside with Milano and Edmunds kicked outside of him. Yikes. 
Sorry my nephew is a monster Carolina fan and we chat trades a lot I know it’s a pretty unlikely scenario 

Tell your nephew that he is lucky he has Kuechly and McCaffrey...also need to find a way to get both here.