RIP Don Imus

GG

Sad news.  In his prime, he was terrifically entertaining and had a ridiculous line up of influential guests on his program.

And of course, his White House Correspondents dinner performance was legendary.

RIP I-man.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

He was a jerk who treated coworkers poorly and used his charity like an evangelical preacher to build an expensive ranch mainly for his own benefit.

Stern was a million times better when they were competing 

Imus bringing on Bob Dole to say nothing at all was not political or edgy or interesting, they had nothing to say for years on end

his liberal good-time friends propped him up with so much hype and then deep-sixed him the first chance they got on his dumb comment

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think I ever heard him on the radio, but he used to be on VH-1 or MTV, and his radio show was simulcast on some network that I ended up seeing once in a while.

I never got him at all.  He just seemed to kind of mumble and I don't remember anything funny coming out of his mouth. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I don't think I ever heard him on the radio, but he used to be on VH-1 or MTV, and his radio show was simulcast on some network that I ended up seeing once in a while.

I never got him at all.  He just seemed to kind of mumble and I don't remember anything funny coming out of his mouth. 

musta been the Bob Hope effect, anything on TV or radio called comedy was the greatest thing ever and you had better laugh if you knew what was good for you

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

He’s a fake cowboy....

"WAS" a fake cowboy. 

Unique, controversial, consistent, longevity, at a time when this was important. Now we get instant success on social media and rich overnight.

The same people who think Imus was a no talent bum likely think Kayne West is great. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

"WAS" a fake cowboy. 

Unique, controversial, consistent, longevity, at a time when this was important. Now we get instant success on social media and rich overnight.

The same people who think Imus was a no talent bum likely think Kayne West is great. 

never heard anything Kanye did

again I first came across him when he went to WFAN mornings and he had zippo to offer as insight or entertainment, it was just a crank rambling on and on and on 

he must have been something in the 60s and 70s

The incident with the women’s college basketball championship team (Rutgers?) was epic.  He made a racist, snide remark about them, and they responded by arranging a panel discussion with him.  The women were all articulate, intelligent, soft spoken, well mannered, and gracious.  He just sat there and mumbled.  He was embarrassed and humbled. It was great. 

I also think he was taken off the air for a while as a result.  I was disappointed that he was allowed back on.

16 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

"WAS" a fake cowboy. 

I guarantee the people who think Kanye West is great have no clue who Don Imus was.  RIP to a pioneer of the industry who paved the way for more talented shock jocks.

i never listened to Imus, my mom used to though so i knew somewhat about the controversies that surrounded him. was a little disappointed to see the ticker on ESPN (watching a rerun of the LSU/Alabama game) note his passing with not one but two mentions of these controversies with the mentions being derogatory. being a ***** or not, i don't think that is how we treat the dead in the mention of a passing.