Why We Will Struggle in the Playoffs

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I'm a conservative but I agree with this message !!!

Ha classic!!!!

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we are NOT going to walk all over Houston.  It will be a close, grind-it-out affair... with a slightly more than 50% chance that we come out on top.

Agreed- Houston is tough - we can barely put points on the board as it is.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If we play slow ball we will barely beat the Texans and will get run over by the ravens. The offense is better in the Hurry up and is worse when we dont, if we want to go far we need to hurry up.

Right on.  Plus Josh needs to get rid of the ball within three seconds on pass plays.  He stands there and holds the ball for far too long; the o-line blocking won't hold up longer than three seconds, if that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:53 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh is a playmaker. Period. It's obvious and consistent. Trying to make him a game manager puts restraints on him. I think we're a better, more dangerous team, and possible great team if the shackles are taken off 

so agree.  Josh just isn't that accurate when standing in the pocket.  WHY?

Four reasons to think the Bills will struggle in the playoffs.

They will play a road game. Even bandwagon teams sellout and the crowd noise becomes a huge factor. Add in a dome & the noise is amplified. The Bills haven’t been world beaters in the 1st Qtr so the crowd being taken out early is less likely to happen.

McD is content playing a 3-10 game. In Jacksonville McD rarely dialed up the bomb. Rather asking Tyrod to check down & not turn over the ball. Conservative play calling rarely works out in the playoffs. Taking risks is necessary. Think Sean Payton onside kick to open 2nd half of the Super Bowl, Pederson’s use of the Foles QB home run pass. 

McD won’t go for it on 4th down. Another concern McD will likely need to extend drives & give his defense a rest. Does McD have the ‘faith’ in Allen to convert 4th & 1 on our side of the field?

Josh Allen is wildly inaccurate. Rarely do QBs win playoff games completing 50% of their passes or less. For example Allen hit 50% of passes vs New England while Brady was around 70%. This level of inaccuracy leads to more punts & allows a ball control offense running up a 39 to 21 minutes time of possession advantage. 

Singletary can generate yards after contact but Daboll is sending him into 7/8 man fronts routinely on 1st down not mixing in the PA pass. Conservative play calling and predictability is not going to win playoff games. Rarely does a team win on the road playing vanilla offense unless they simply dominate at the line of scrimmage.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, whorlnut said:

Offensive struggles?  Please. This game was lost by poor tackling from our precious defense and horrendous conservative coaching once we got the lead. 

Your QB had a 50% completion percentage and threw for his usual ~ 200 yards.  And got sacked 4 times for negative 32.

QBR of 69.8.  Left 2 TDs on the field b/c he struggles with accuracy.  

But it was poor tackling that cost us the game, huh? 

The denial this fanbase is in regarding Josh Allen's competence is straight up bizarre.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was not an easy pass. Yes, we would love for him to hit it but he cannot risk it being short. He missed Knox earlier on an even harder one. It looked fairly easy but it was not at all. A lot of times the TV angles are grossly inadequate. 

I watched Darnold thread the needle to Robby Anderson on a TD today. It wasn't an easy pass. It was much more difficult than the Knox miss. If we expect greatness from Josh - and we should - it's fair to expect better throws. I'm not sure how you went from what I though was a bad over throw to 'cannot risk it being short'.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pop gun said:

Yes and McD may turn out to be a very good coach who can get there but can't ever get over the hump and win the big games. Time will tell

Well McD does idolize Andy Reid. So this would make sense if he can never get over the hump. 

12 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Huge mistakes with the RB position. He needs a better running attack and better run blocking.

Agreed.  I think the Bills expected Gore is more productive in the 1st half and middle of the game.   Also, Gore time has been impacted by th decision to go no-huddle with a 11-12 man group

And finally,  having Andre Roberts as the KR/PR  and Senorise Perry has hurt the teams combination at the RB position.  Roberts has taken up that 3rd RB position but has not been part of the passing game.  Perry has played only special teams.  The Bills can do nothing about it as both Roberts and Perry have done very well on ST.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right on.  Plus Josh needs to get rid of the ball within three seconds on pass plays.  He stands there and holds the ball for far too long; the o-line blocking won't hold up longer than three seconds, if that.

And Josh is more accurate in the Hurry Up.

8 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Also probably because we dont' have a WR taller than 5'8. Just food for thought.

That doesn't matter now, im sure we will get taller receivers next year. Right now we need to do whats best for this team, hopefully this happens in the playoffs and we dont play slow ball.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Your QB had a 50% completion percentage and threw for his usual ~ 200 yards.  And got sacked 4 times for negative 32.

QBR of 69.8.  Left 2 TDs on the field b/c he struggles with accuracy.  

But it was poor tackling that cost us the game, huh? 

The denial this fanbase is in regarding Josh Allen's competence is straight up bizarre.

Your QB ?? So you're not a Bills fan.

Check his accuracy and completion percentage when they run the Hurry Up. Its way higher.

Josh will get there but right now he and this team are at their best when they hurry up.

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

we are NOT going to walk all over Houston.  It will be a close, grind-it-out affair... with a slightly more than 50% chance that we come out on top.

hopefully we use the right plan and that game will be easier.

47 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed.  I think the Bills expected Gore is more productive in the 1st half and middle of the game.   Also, Gore time has been impacted by th decision to go no-huddle with a 11-12 man group

And finally,  having Andre Roberts as the KR/PR  and Senorise Perry has hurt the teams combination at the RB position.  Roberts has taken up that 3rd RB position but has not been part of the passing game.  Perry has played only special teams.  The Bills can do nothing about it as both Roberts and Perry have done very well on ST.

Someday the kicking game will be gone and we wont have to worry about special teamers :D

On 12/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh is a playmaker. Period. It's obvious and consistent. Trying to make him a game manager puts restraints on him. I think we're a better, more dangerous team, and possible great team if the shackles are taken off 

Finally, I agree with you.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

That doesn't matter now, im sure we will get taller receivers next year. Right now we need to do whats best for this team, hopefully this happens in the playoffs and we dont play slow ball.

How long have fans been saying the Bills need taller receivers?

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Good points- I would add I dont think Bills brass was expecting the rapid drop off in Gores play as well. He really slowed down around the 1/3 mark of the season. Yeldon must he fumbling a lot in practice to not get playing time or something else we do not know about. Anyways- heading into the playoffs with a weak running back stable is not where you want to be.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, whorlnut said:

Offensive struggles?  Please. This game was lost by poor tackling from our precious defense and horrendous conservative coaching once we got the lead. 

The game was clearly lost because Josh Allen didn’t throw for 300 yards in the 20 minutes he had the ball.