Bills better be scouting “hands catchers” at WR

whorlnut

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I hope that whoever was scouting WR's the first 2 drafts has been replaced by someone (much) better.

Agreed.  It's a hard position to get right sometimes and you saw Whaley and Nix really struggle to find a good WR even though they spent a ton of picks on them.  Woods was probably their best pick, but TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin were terrible picks and they way overspent on Watkins (and a lot of us knew it at the time too).  The Bills need to hold steady at WR in this draft they could land two really good players at the position without having to even pick one in the first round.

3 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

It's no secret that OBJ isn't happy in Cleveland.  If he can be turned into a process guy and buy into the culture that has been established in Buffalo, I think we should target him in the offseason.  We'll have the cap to make it happen.

Yeah, no.  He's a drama queen who wants the big stage and that won't change.  I also have had this sneaking suspicion that his best days are behind him.

5 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Agreed.  It's a hard position to get right sometimes and you saw Whaley and Nix really struggle to find a good WR even though they spent a ton of picks on them.  Woods was probably their best pick, but TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin were terrible picks and they way overspent on Watkins (and a lot of us knew it at the time too).  The Bills need to hold steady at WR in this draft they could land two really good players at the position without having to even pick one in the first round.

Well at least the guy who instrumental in drafting Zay, Phil McGeoghan, is no longer with the team.  So that's a start.  The guys who took Watkins, Woods, Graham and Goodwin are long gone.

17 hours ago, whorlnut said:

With the way Josh Allen throws the football, I really hope the Bills are scouring the heck out of WRs that have strong hands and can pluck the ball out of the air. IMO, that’s the only way to go with a flamethrower QB. Anything other than that is just a wasted pick. 

So...what do you guys think?  Any suggestions and why?

You mean the way Duke can ***** a ball out of the air any where with in his catch radius ? Yah that is definitely some one the Bills need to look for !

? HMM I wonder where they might be able to find that guy at ?? Maybe the bench ..

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, no.  He's a drama queen who wants the big stage and that won't change.  I also have had this sneaking suspicion that his best days are behind him.

Which is why I said if he can change.  If not, then of course steer away.  His hands are ridiculous which is the only reason why they should potentially pursue.

Ok I’ve never seen this Colorado Buffalo WR play. After watching him the first thing that comes to my mind is the guy looks and plays like Marshawn Lynch. So my question is what kind of separation can he get. That would be my only concern. Speed is not always a indication of if a WR can get separation. From what I saw in the video this guy is a real Weapon built for toughness. He already plays in cold weather and looks the part. If the Bills drafted him I would be on board for sure. 

Edited by oldschoolfootball1963

I'm still super early in my scouting, but of the guys that will realistically be available in our range, DeVonta Smith and Jalen Reagor are the two that have stood out to me so far. Reagor wouldn't really be giving us the size a lot of people are looking for, but both of these guys are absolutely electric and DeVonta in particular has great hands in addition to being insanely explosive.

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I like this kid.  Anyone know his 40?

Probably around a 4.55ish

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Which is why I said if he can change.  If not, then of course steer away.  His hands are ridiculous which is the only reason why they should potentially pursue.

There’s no way to know if he’s changed.  Not worth taking the risk to find out. 

Part of looking for hand-catchers is they naturally have more of a catching radius too. 

Speed and route discipline to stretch the defense, hands that give a QB confidence throwing 50/50 balls, and enough size to create mismatches.

I like it.

2 hours ago, T master said:

You mean the way Duke can ***** a ball out of the air any where with in his catch radius ? Yah that is definitely some one the Bills need to look for !

? HMM I wonder where they might be able to find that guy at ?? Maybe the bench ..

I'm guessing you've seen a highlight video or 2 of of Duke in the CFL where he's making all these remarkable catches. Other than preseason games or the Tennessee game where he caught 4 passes for 29 yds, he doesn't have much to show in the NFL. I know, I know he caught a TD pass vs. Tennessee. I was really curious to know, is he really catching everything thrown his way throughout his CFL career? I couldn't find CFL stats for drops, so I looked at the following CFL stats:

Duke

2017:

83  attempts and 46 receptions. 37 attempts not completed

2018:

152 attempts and 88 receptions. 64 attempts not completed

That turns out to be 235 attempts and 134 receptions. There were 101 pass attempts to Duke in 2 years that were not completed. I'm gonna assume this was not all on the QB. Some had to be drops, some had to be Duke not catching everything within a certain radius, some had to be Duke not catching a contested pass. Sure some have to be attributed to the QB as well, but that's a lot of incomplete attempts to blame on his QB when his teammates had better catch %'s during the same time frame. The guys below combined for 227 attempts and 72 attempts not completed in the same time frame, same team as Duke. I chose those 2 as they were closest to Duke in attempts. That's almost 30 less incomplete attempts on only 8 more pass attempts. You can go down the roster and choose any combination and still see the same thing. These 2 no name players had better catch % based on attempts, from the same QB as Duke caught from. This is in the CFL, with a running start and sub par DB's compared to the NFL. I would be curious to see any CFL stats on drops, if anyone can find them. Also, curious how much footage there would be if a video were made of his drops or attempts where he DIDN'T make the contested catch. That's a lot of attempts left on the field, in the CFL. He's just not good enough to take over a starting roster spot in Buffalo.

Brandon Zylstra

2017:

132 attempts and 100 receptions. 32 attempts not completed

2018:

Kenny Stafford -Zylstra wasn't listed in 2018

95 attempts and 55 receptions. 40 attempts not completed