Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Just Jack

I will hope for the best but don't expect much.  Reboots and 30 year later sequels, etc aren't my thing.  

In my opinion, you have to judge these movies as a stand alone film.  For example, if this movie was called Spirit Cops and didn't reference the movies from the 80s would anyone care?  

Cool to hear that all the stars from the original will be joining.  However, based on that trailer/teaser we may not be seeing much of them.  

The movie studios has a good formula working in the last decade.  You take a popular show, movie, toy, or video game from somewhere 20-30 years ago.  You get an older audience for nostalgia reasons and the younger generation too.

If you saw him lately you would probably have to call the ghostbusters.

From what I understand in the trailer and read from what others are saying, it plot to the movie is a single mom and her kids are forced to move into their grandfather's old farm house because of financial reasons. The grandfather is Egon Spangler, former ghost Buster who has passed away. The grandkids don't know much about their grandfather's past. It appears after the end of Ghostbusters 2, their weren't many ghost roaming around anymore and they closed up shop. Egon took everything and moved it out to his farm house to store it (some say the containment unit that was in the fire house was buried below the ground and that's what was glowing green in the hole below the swing they were sitting on. Weird tremmors and things begin to happen and the grandkids start finding more things from the Grandfather's ghost busting past. The grandkids, with the help of their teacher Antman, have to fight off ghosts that have now escaped and end up calling back the originals to help them (and maybe join the Avengers?). The original cast is supposed to be in it (except for Ramis who passed away 5 years ago) and it will not make reference or acknowledge the recent all female Ghostbusters movie. It was also filmed in Calgary directed by Jason Reitman, who also wrote it with his father who was the original director and cowriter I believe.

And just a fun fact, Jason's real life sister and Ivans daughter is Maureen Ponderossa

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I will hope for the best but don't expect much.  Reboots and 30 year later sequels, etc aren't my thing.  

In my opinion, you have to judge these movies as a stand alone film.  For example, if this movie was called Spirit Cops and didn't reference the movies from the 80s would anyone care?  

Cool to hear that all the stars from the original will be joining.  However, based on that trailer/teaser we may not be seeing much of them.  

The movie studios has a good formula working in the last decade.  You take a popular show, movie, toy, or video game from somewhere 20-30 years ago.  You get an older audience for nostalgia reasons and the younger generation too.

If they are done well they can be real good. Problem is most are just trying to bank off the success of the previous and recycle material, trying to push a cause/agenda or just trying to do a shot for shot remake. The last Ghostbusters movie was a flop cause everyone saw it as just taking something successful and making it all female to push 'Girl Power'. This one appears to be continuing the storey in modern day. The spiderman movies that came out after the trilogy with Toby were remade to try and match huge success of the darker and grittier Nolan Batman trilogy but couldn't go too dark because Spiderman is a teenager. Alot of the other movies being remade now are just the same movie being done with new actors, gender switching, or remaking them in modern times where they usually have to push social issues into the plot too.

I think this one will be a huge success, probably because it still has ties to the original cast and writers/director

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not crazy about taking an iconic comedy and making a sequel that appears to be pretty serious in tone.  Now maybe that's just the feel that they wanted for the first trailer and the actual movie will be far more comedic.  I hope that's the case, but I doubt it.

10 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Exactly. 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Looks better than that re-imagining with chicks.

The trailer made me think this was a prequel to the female version. As that young girl (Paul Ruud's daughter?) could be a young version of Melissa McCarthey or that blond with glasses from SNL. Forgive me but I never saw the female version so not key on names. As it's obvious the time line is definitely after the OG since Ruud found the uniforms of the guys etc. 

Edited by The Jokeman

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The trailer made me think this was a prequel to the female version. As that young girl (Paul Ruud's daughter?) could be a young version of Melissa McCarthey or that blond with glasses from SNL. Forgive me but I never saw the female version so not key on names. As it's obvious the time line is definitely after the OG since Ruud found the uniforms of the guys etc. 

It's not supposed to have any ties or mention to the all female version. This one will only tie into the original 2 and go off of that story in present day

• Thank you (+1) 1

Random thoughts while watching trailer:

1) That's the kid from "Stranger Things" on Netflix.

2) I like where they are going with the concept here; Ghostbusters sequel but changing the genre and getting rid of the schmaltzy comedy angle; kind of a Stranger Things ripoff but that's OK

3) The "haunted house" that was left to the kid's mom looked like a set made for a movie

4) The ambulance peeling out in the hay field was pretty bad CGI

5) Overall, this left a positive impression and I'd watch this movie for sure

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Random thoughts while watching trailer:

1) That's the kid from "Stranger Things" on Netflix.

2) I like where they are going with the concept here; Ghostbusters sequel but changing the genre and getting rid of the schmaltzy comedy angle; kind of a Stranger Things ripoff but that's OK

3) The "haunted house" that was left to the kid's mom looked like a set made for a movie

4) The ambulance peeling out in the hay field was pretty bad CGI

5) Overall, this left a positive impression and I'd watch this movie for sure

That's what made the original so fun  IMHO, Bill Murray shocking the guy even though he was the true psychic or the "he slimed me" line. All are why I fell in love with the original movie. 

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I refuse to do the math on how Egon, 30 years later, has two grandkids in their early teens.

You are going to let that bug you in a ghost movie?

Does anyone know for certain that Egon was single during the 1st 2 movies?

Maybe he was with someone and she got pregnant before they became the ghostbusters?

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Maybe he was with someone and she got pregnant before they became the ghostbusters?

Didn't he hook up with the secretary?

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

His awkwardness was a huge part of the character.  That type of revision to his past would be a big move away from what made the character so entertaining.  Now I want to go back and watch the first one because I feel like he was completely oblivious to Janine's advances.

If anyone from that group had unknown kids on the side, it was Venkman.

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

His awkwardness was a huge part of the character.  That type of revision to his past would be a big move away from what made the character so entertaining.  Now I want to go back and watch the first one because I feel like he was completely oblivious to Janine's advances.

If anyone from that group had unknown kids on the side, it was Venkman.

Maybe he was oblivious because he had a girlfriend or wife already that he just never talked about?

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Maybe he was oblivious because he had a girlfriend or wife already that he just never talked about?

While we're completely changing characters from a 35 year old movie, let's make Winston the mastermind of the whole group.  Venkman can be a super serious businessman with the highest of moral standards when he's away from the university.

Some things are better left untouched.  Maybe they feel the need to make up for the movie from a few years ago, reclaiming the legacy of their franchise.  But to me, the apparent drastic change of tone in this movie isn't the right way to do that.  If you realize that you can't recapture what made the original special, maybe you should just leave it alone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

But maybe by changing the tone and do this they make the franchise even better? If you made the original Ghostbusters movies today, they probably wouldn't have the same success being kinda cheesey.

And we don't know exactly the current year it take place in, it's supposed to be close to modern day, and we only know that it's 30 years from when they last had a ghost sighting. We assume that it would have been at the end of ghostbusters 2......

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't think those two ever interacted. I'll have to rewatch it. His character hit on Sigourney Weaver's character and they were both possessed. The key master and the gate keeper.

Nope, in the 2nd one he works as their accountant and he goes with her to baby sit Sigourney Weavers son. They have a thing going in the 2nd, in the 1st he was going after Sigourney Weaver.

Who would have thought that Jeannie was old enough to be Sheldon's Me-maw......

6 hours ago, shrader said:

While we're completely changing characters from a 35 year old movie, let's make Winston the mastermind of the whole group.  Venkman can be a super serious businessman with the highest of moral standards when he's away from the university.

That’s what got everyone torqued off over J.J. Abrams retooling of the Star Trek universe.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it looks like an interesting teaser trailer and really hope its a good movie.  The original one was a totally iconic movie growing up as a kid.

Too bad Rick Moranis isn't going to be part of the new flick.  It's always good to see him in things.

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That’s what got everyone torqued off over J.J. Abrams retooling of the Star Trek universe.

Wrong director. Abrams movie was pretty loyal to the original 3. It was Rian Johnson that changed things up significantly in the second movie. 

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I think it looks like an interesting teaser trailer and really hope its a good movie.  The original one was a totally iconic movie growing up as a kid.

Too bad Rick Moranis isn't going to be part of the new flick.  It's always good to see him in things.

Maybe they were able to convince him to show up for a brief cameo. I know he’s retired, but he did do a small scene in the Goldbergs a year or two ago. I’d absolutely love to see him show up. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Wrong director. Abrams movie was pretty loyal to the original 3. It was Rian Johnson that changed things up significantly in the second movie. 

You're talking about Star Wars.

JJ Abrams also re-did Star Trek.

And how ***** dare you confuse the two. 

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  Annie Potts if I recall.

Yes and she is in this movie.

9 hours ago, Bad Things said:

From IMDB:

Following the death of his wife in 1991, the difficulty of raising their two children on his own, and his increasing disenchantment with Hollywood, Moranis retired from acting in 1997.

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You're talking about Star Wars.

JJ Abrams also re-did Star Trek.

And how ***** dare you confuse the two. 

Honestly, I completely forgot that he did those movies too (the first 2, right?) and stopped reading at JJ Abrams.  I guess next week's release is clouding my mind.

But speaking of Star Trek, I wonder if we'll ever get that Tarantino film.  I still demand Sam Jackson as Picard.

11 hours ago, shrader said:

Honestly, I completely forgot that he did those movies too (the first 2, right?) and stopped reading at JJ Abrams.  I guess next week's release is clouding my mind.

But speaking of Star Trek, I wonder if we'll ever get that Tarantino film.  I still demand Sam Jackson as Picard.

Haha, what?

I have to Google this now

21 hours ago, shrader said:

Since Avery Brooks has no interest in being in Star Trek anymore maybe he could take Cisco's role?  

Cisco had some meaty roles which Samuel Jackson could handle well.  They are even close in age and hair stylist.