Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

On 12/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, T master said:

How will you ever find out when he's sitting on the bench ? Given his one chance to play in a game he came up huge & caught the game winning TD just saying ! 

Some guys play bigger in games & he's had really good history, he's led a entire league in receptions along with yards sure it wasn't the NFL but if there is another legit league that's even close the CFL would be it . And again he can't prove a thing on the bench .

Not to mention his college days . Match that with being thrown aside because of some stupid mistakes his desire probably out weighs a lot of players & your not going to find out how he would be at game speed by sitting him on the bench that's all i'm saying . 

Yes i personally think he is like another Boldin maybe not huge speed guy as far as with a watch on him but come game time i feel he would be one of those go to guys that play faster & is real dependable in the clutch i don't know why i just do ...

At least play him until he proves them wrong then sit him on the bench . Some guys just have that it factor & i think he does . 

The reason they are playing McKenzie and Foster over Duke Williams is because of speed. They said they want more speed out there and want to play faster offense. I personally feel like Duke should be out there tho, we need someone to make the contested catches...we have too many drops and most the time they are key drops and it sucks. It will come back to bite us if we keep getting all these drops. 

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

If he's not active tommorow, I'm willing to bet he is next week

He should be he's another weapon & could be the guy again to win the game for the Bills he wouldn't have dropped the pass that Beasley did going across the middle just due to his size & great hands , he's a difference maker & i can't see why McKenzie is on the field ?

Duke can block just as good or better because of his size, even though McKenzie is faster sometimes speed isn't the end all be all !! 

Get it done McD use the tools you have in the bag the right tool for the right job !! 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, starrymessenger said:

Daboll really loves him some surfs. If Duke is no good so be it, but I hope the Bills don't opt for another diminutive receiver in the upcoming draft out of deference to Daboll's scheme. Like if Shenault is there in the second and we pass I think I'll wring my own neck.

I really like Gabriel Davis for the Bills. He is really good at contested catches and 50/50 balls. He is also a great red zone target and runs really smooth routes. He is tall and just looks really well rounded. He reminds me of Michael Thomas not just cuz he is number 13 either. Here are his highlights if interested in watching him.

Edited by Buggyfresh

On 12/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, Livinginthepast said:

The funny thing is that last night's victory did nothing to quash this thread.  Josh still needs more options in the passing game and receivers beyond Brown and Beasley are still  not really a factor. Kudos to Kroft for the TD grab but him and  the other 4 receivers (excluding Brown) had only had 4 catches (1 each). Beasley was targeted 6 times and had only  1 catch.  Foster didn't even have one target?!!  The Offense continued to sputter and there were a couple more drops and high throws that our small receivers cant seem to get. I don't understand the logic of keeping Duke inactive when he could be improving this receiving corps right now. If he is injured or not fitting in with the rest of the team's chemistry then perhaps they would like to tell us this. In addition, the whole Duke is inactive due to focus on special teams abilities, makes no sense. Its not like we are tearing it up on kick and punt return TDs anyway. If anything its the opposite.

And you know this how??  Based on what?  All the other receivers have more catches than Duke for the season, so  your comments are really based on nothing more than an opinion based on little facts compared to the knowledge the Bills coaches have of the situation

All you,  me, and everyone else here are nothing more than fans short for fanatics. They owe us nothing and would serve no purpose other than to show they listen to the fanatics,

On 12/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

Even if someone hates Duke, how could they possibly argue that DiMarco or Lee Smith are more vital to the team. Does DiMarco even see the field anymore other than his one dropped pass? How about Lee Smith? All he does is receive penalties. Give me the big body receiver even if his only

play is to block and a jump ball 1-2 times per game. 

LOL  Did you actually watch Sundays game?  The number of snaps both of them had if I recall were in the 20's and don't recall hearing Smiths name WRT  any penalties  Granted lately their snap count has been down for both, but was much higher last so find it rather comical that you'd lost this now.  The team is 10-4, think the coaches know a little better about the situation than the fanatics here..

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

On 12/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It’s bizarre because the routes that are run are not “speed” routes. I am pretty sure Duke can create space and get open on outs and slants. 

Creating space involves a number of things, including break speed.

39 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

LOL  Did you actually watch Sundays game?  The number of snaps both of them had if I recall were in the 20's and don't recall hearing Smiths name WRT  any penalties  Granted lately their snap count has been down for both, but was much higher last so find it rather comical that you'd lost this now.  The team is 100-4, think the coaches know a little better about the situation than the fanatics here..

The Bills are 100-4? That’s a bit better of a record than I had them pencilled in as. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buggyfresh said:

I really like Gabriel Davis for the Bills. He is really good at contested catches and 50/50 balls. He is also a great red zone target and runs really smooth routes. He is tall and just looks really well rounded. He reminds me of Michael Thomas not just cuz he is number 13 either. Here are his highlights if interested in watching him.

Thanks. I will check him out.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, Hebert19 said:

Activate duke.  Sit Roberts.  

Hyde does punt returns and mckenzie does kicks.  

Roberts is perfect for the kick return and the here and there 10+ yard catches. Foster has done nothing (since Allen is struggling with the long ball) get rid of him and bring in Duke. McKenzie is quick and useful with the trick plays and quick pitches and occasional pass catch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills coaches locker room 

When and where? Do you have links? I have never heard one report of anyone associated with the Bills saying “he sucks” all though I have heard the reason they are playing players such as Foster and McKenzie over him are due to them wanting more speed and wanting the offense to run quicker. I have not heard one bad thing said about him and I watch Bills one drive and Good Morning Football every day and listen to multiple podcasts.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And you know this how??  Based on what?  All the other receivers have more catches than Duke for the season, so  your comments are really based on nothing more than an opinion based on little facts compared to the knowledge the Bills coaches have of the situation

Yes its called an opinion. what else is would it be?  In my case an opinion based on evidence this season. Duke has caught 90% of his targets and has 1 td. He performed when called upon and then he was dropped. Those are the Facts of his performance so far. I don't pretend to know what the coaches think, which is precisely why I suggested some clarity on Duke from them would be helpful. 

• Like (+1) 1

Personally I don't get the Duke hype or hate.

If Daboll has some confidence in Williams to do certain things this game might be the right time to activate him over Foster.

I stress might, but it could be a small wrinkle to throw against the Pats**** D for a couple of plays.

19 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Yes its called an opinion. what else is would it be?  In my case an opinion based on evidence this season. Duke has caught 90% of his targets and has 1 td. He performed when called upon and then he was dropped. Those are the Facts of his performance so far. I don't pretend to know what the coaches think, which is precisely why I suggested some clarity on Duke from them would be helpful. 

Clarity?! He's been inactive and not showing up on the injury reports. It can't get much clearer.  90% on 7 attempts, in 118 snaps. He was thrown to 7 times in 118 snaps! Maybe he's not able to get open enough to tale a roster spot.

17 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

But you didn't state and option you stated " I don't understand the logic of keeping Duke inactive when he could be improving this receiving corps right now."   That sounds like you are stating a fact to me.  And yes you are correct  too that you don't know what the coaches think, but expecting them to make some type of statement to the fan base is insane.  When someone has only caught a total of 6 passes, to state he has caught 90% is not very statistically valid if you actually understand statistics.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Clarity?! He's been inactive and not showing up on the injury reports. It can't get much clearer.  90% on 7 attempts, in 118 snaps. He was thrown to 7 times in 118 snaps! Maybe he's not able to get open enough to tale a roster spot.

Yet he's out produced Foster, Roberts, and Smith in just 3 appearances.  So theres that.

Trivia time:  Who amongst these names ran a perfect route and caught a game winning TD and help us get to 10 wins?

A.  Foster

B.  Smith

C.  Duke

D.  Roberts

Trivia time #2:  Who has more catches?

A.  Foster

B.  Duke

C.  Roberts

D.  Smith

Duke, in just 3 active games has the same amount of catches on the season as Foster and Roberts have COMBINED.  He also has a game winning TD.  

Sorry, all your comments and your conquest against Duke have no merit.  You can literally yell 7 attempts in 118 snaps, yet that is still out performing Foster and Roberts COMBINED on the season.  Not to mention a game winning TD to help us actually WIN a game.  Something Foster, Smith, and Roberts have yet to do.  Smith has actually worked hard to lose us games with his penalties.  

PS:  Duke is a better blocker than Foster and Roberts too.  This TSW conquest against him in favor of 2 WRs NOT producing is utterly comical to me.

I would bet big money the reason Duke isnt active is because Daboll is stubborn.  He prefers to force his system, which favors small gadget players, rather than alter it to utilize personnel and size.  Its also why we aren't seeing more 2 TE sets with Knox and Kroft.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4