Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

But how do you come to that conclusion? Because he isnt active or becasue you watched his tape? How do you explain this:

Season totals for the following players:
Foster:  3 rec, 0 TD
Roberts: 3 rec, 0 TD 
Lee Smith:  4 rec, 0 TD

Nobody can make any intelligent argument that any 3 of these guys has made game changing plays. Roberts simply hasnt done enough on returns to justify his spot. His couple big returns is quite average for a season and he way too often doesnt even make it to the 25 when coming out of the endzone. 

Meanwhile...

Duke:  (In his only 3 games played)  6 rec on 7 targets and a GAME WIINNING TD.

None of those 3 is primarily a WR so that's an invalid comparison. 

McKenzie is the guy they'd have to bench for Duke. 

Roberts is 3rd in the NFL in returns. Fyi. 

Edited by Sundancer

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There were a lot of ppl wrong about Benjamin......I still feel that TYPE of WR is exactly what we need

It’s almost like you have a history of consistently over valuing unknowns based on possibility, and are looking for someone that fits this body type to do it with. 

just something to consider in your duke takes. Do you like who he is or who you want him to be?

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

But how do you come to that conclusion? Because he isnt active or becasue you watched his tape? How do you explain this:

Nobody can make any intelligent argument that any 3 of these guys has made game changing plays. Roberts simply hasnt done enough on returns to justify his spot. His couple big returns is quite average for a season and he way too often doesnt even make it to the 25 when coming out of the endzone. 

Meanwhile...

that he caught a game winning TD isn’t some magical feat. He had his number called in the right spot. This isn’t everyone looking at Julio and him still getting it done consistently.

pulling out stats on a bunch of non producers isn’t particularly compelling. 

kind of have to believe there may be more to it- did he run the wrong route 4 times in that last game? Would that change your opinion? Especially with a young qb trying to learn progressions reliably and trust the calls. Not saying he did but finding out something like that should shock no one as a potential reason he’d be benched after an important catch. Or have you gone back and watched his other routes for quality consistency and separation? 

im the furthest from a lee smith fan. I’m always in favor of him not being near the field - any pass catcher is a better pass catcher and we could give a depth lineman some reps as the 6th blocker and likely be better off on all fronts.

But Dukes slow, went undrafted, washed out of the league, came back to little interest, cleared waivers, and now struggles to be active. There’s a good chance it’s simply a reflection on his play and not incompetent evaluations 

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

Meanwhile...

There is no conspiracy theory here.  If Duke was the best option available he would be starting week in and week out for our club.

I have come to the conclusion and accepted that many weeks ago when I learned to trust our coaching staff. First time I could say that in over 20 years.

59 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s almost like you have a history of consistently over valuing unknowns based on possibility, and are looking for someone that fits this body type to do it with. 

just something to consider in your duke takes. Do you like who he is or who you want him to be?

kB had good work with the panthers 

I didn’t overvalue him I was just wrong

robert foster had someone f the best numbers of any wide receiver in the second half of last season of any we in the league look it up

zay?  Just wishful thinking

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

You didn’t address it, you dismissed it. There’s a difference. And there’s no hate on my end - I trust the team AND the team’s coaches. Including the coaches’ decisions on active rosters, etc. so who’s hating? The “shame” belongs entirely to you. ?

First of I cant dismiss a point that was never articulated clearly, especially  by Ed "formerly of Roch" but I did say this: "Its not like he was thrown to once!  He's only been given a shot in 3 games  (one of which he got hurt in)."  You're the one that made the size of the sample point. And yes I would dismiss that point as lame as well. He has a small sample size because he has only played in 2 1/2 games. But we can conclude is that he made the most of his opportunities. His replacements/substitutes have a similar low sample size and have much worse stats. But we are supposed to believe that even with these much worse stats that they "make an impact on special teams"? Which BTW are pretty weak.

As for the rest of this retort, You've been hating on and dismissing Duke throughout all these threads. I'm also not sure why you care so much to back up the coaches either. Did you trust these coaches when they repeatedly played Peterman? or kept failing with Zay Jones or Kelvin Benjamin? Overall I think the coaches and GM have done a great job in the success of this franchise in the past 2 years but they haven't been perfect and have had some strangely stubborn personnel failures along the way. Fans and the media shouldn't just put blindly trust in coaches especially when the decisions outwardly don't make sense. They need to be held to account. 

Finally, I should be "ashamed"? of what ? maybe wasting my precious time on this site arguing with people who cant see the forest for the trees?

14 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

There is no conspiracy theory here.  If Duke was the best option available he would be starting week in and week out for our club.

I have come to the conclusion and accepted that many weeks ago when I learned to trust our coaching staff. First time I could say that in over 20 years.

Oh, we all trust Sean, he just happens to be wrong on this specific issue ??

Go Bills!!!

On 12/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, Livinginthepast said:

The funny thing is that last night's victory did nothing to quash this thread.  Josh still needs more options in the passing game and receivers beyond Brown and Beasley are still  not really a factor. Kudos to Kroft for the TD grab but him and  the other 4 receivers (excluding Brown) had only had 4 catches (1 each). Beasley was targeted 6 times and had only  1 catch.  Foster didn't even have one target?!!  The Offense continued to sputter and there were a couple more drops and high throws that our small receivers cant seem to get. I don't understand the logic of keeping Duke inactive when he could be improving this receiving corps right now. If he is injured or not fitting in with the rest of the team's chemistry then perhaps they would like to tell us this. In addition, the whole Duke is inactive due to focus on special teams abilities, makes no sense. Its not like we are tearing it up on kick and punt return TDs anyway. If anything its the opposite.

Foster didn't have one target because Foster didn't have one offensive snap.

The guy couldn't beat Zay for a roster spot. He was brought up only cuz we were working on trading Zay. He had 1 ok game. Film on that 1 game must have shown something to other teams cuz he did nothing from that point on. He took Zay's spot and couldn't keep it. Stop saying he didn't get a chance when he was activated, played in games and he's been practicing with the team as part of the 53 man roster since week 5. Think about it, he couldn't beat Zay for a spot. Zay was traded and Duke still couldn't keep Zay's spot. Maybe it's the things you aren't seeing that coaches see in practice that's keeping him on the bench. There were wrs on the eskimos with better catch %s than Duke. The weird part to some of us is the lack of trust for the staff. 2 playoff appearances in 3 years after such a long time out, a chance at the division still AND people still act like our staff is not as smart as they are. 

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The guy couldn't beat Zay for a roster spot. He was brought up only cuz we were working on trading Zay. He had 1 ok game. Film on that 1 game must have shown something to other teams cuz he did nothing from that point on. He took Zay's spot and couldn't keep it. Stop saying he didn't get a chance when he was activated, played in games and he's been practicing with the team as part of the 53 man roster since week 5. Think about it, he couldn't beat Zay for a spot. Zay was traded and Duke still couldn't keep Zay's spot. Maybe it's the things you aren't seeing that coaches see in practice that's keeping him on the bench. There were wrs on the eskimos with better catch %s than Duke. The weird part to some of us is the lack of trust for the staff. 2 playoff appearances in 3 years after such a long time out, a chance at the division still AND people still act like our staff is not as smart as they are. 

Focus, Dopey. This matters not.  Focus.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Heitz said:

I like that our biggest controversy this late in the year / this season is arguing over Duke freaking Williams ??????

It great, isn’t it ??

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Good thing Duke isn't out there today. There's just no room for him with all this offensive production!

He missed Knox two times wide open in the end zone. There’s your tall receiver. It was 5 feet over his head both times. Duke can’t catch what he can’t get his hands on. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1