Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

10 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Duke and Yeldon are inactive again tonight!

I don’t agree with Yeldon being out. I’d like to see a heavy dose of running the ball and I think he offers a bit more than Gore at this point. I wish all 3 RB’s were active.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

56 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Two words : stevie Johnson 

This guy played on the practice squad and fans called for him to play. It was the same argument. Fans calling for Johnson to play and jauron never putting him on the field. Chan Gailey came in and he was a 1000 yard reciever for 3 years. Point is, this is why fans call for guys like Duke williams. I've never thought Duke was a 1000 yard reciever, but like I've argued before, he's a bigger target for the red zone and those short passes 10 yards down the sideline. At this point I'm all for it with mckenzie not being a huge factor in games 

unfortunately for every Stevie there are about 40 guys that fans yell for that disappear completely 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t agree with Yeldon being out. I’d like to see a heavy dose of running the ball and I think he offers a bit more than Gore at this point. I wish all 3 RB’s were active.

I really thought Yeldon would play in this game.  If Singletary gets nicked up Gore all alone is not much of a threat!

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I really thought Yeldon would play in this game.  If Singletary gets nicked up Gore all alone is not much of a threat!

Been saying that for some time   Bills seem to favor special teams guys  Wasnt that how jauron's teams were ? We always seemed to have mediocre talent active who also played special teams

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's easy to say from the couch as I ran a 4.45 in college ball but real game speed is totally different and always has been

Josh Allen ran in the 4.6s or 4.7s and would smoke you and probably me ,he runs 20 + mph on some runs

I’m definitely not as fast as I used to be

Edited by SJDK

On 12/13/2019 at 7:51 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Who on our roster?

This is about this year.

Duke is literally the ONLY big bodied sure handed receiving threat this team has. Unfortunately, that's including Tight Ends since Knox is Mr. Unreliable when it comes to catching the damn football.

Duke has more catches and TDs than Foster does this year on just over half the targets.

I like Foster, but he and McKenzie are interchangeable in this offense if Allen can't hit him on the deep balls and McKenzie is more elusive.

Just activate Duke and use him situationally.

Meant in the NFL world. Guys on other practice squads or Free agents. Justin Hunter is probably out there somewhere...

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

Two words : stevie Johnson 

This guy played on the practice squad and fans called for him to play. It was the same argument. Fans calling for Johnson to play and jauron never putting him on the field. Chan Gailey came in and he was a 1000 yard reciever for 3 years. Point is, this is why fans call for guys like Duke williams. I've never thought Duke was a 1000 yard reciever, but like I've argued before, he's a bigger target for the red zone and those short passes 10 yards down the sideline. At this point I'm all for it with mckenzie not being a huge factor in games 

He played 11 games his rookie year after being drafted by the Bills. Different story here. 

Between our regular WR route runner starters in Brown, Beasley and Foster, and then the WR flat throws which go to McKenzie and Roberts, Duke just has no place as of now WRT WR depth... it is a numbers game and it doesn't reflect on Duke's abilities. His role is already claimed by Beasley... they are clearly going with speed, speed and more speed.

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Between our regular WR route runner starters in Brown, Beasley and Foster, and then the WR flat throws which go to McKenzie and Roberts, Duke just has no place as of now WRT WR depth... it is a numbers game and it doesn't reflect on Duke's abilities. His role is already claimed by Beasley... they are clearly going with speed, speed and more speed.

It’s bizarre because the routes that are run are not “speed” routes. I am pretty sure Duke can create space and get open on outs and slants. 

The funny thing is that last night's victory did nothing to quash this thread.  Josh still needs more options in the passing game and receivers beyond Brown and Beasley are still  not really a factor. Kudos to Kroft for the TD grab but him and  the other 4 receivers (excluding Brown) had only had 4 catches (1 each). Beasley was targeted 6 times and had only  1 catch.  Foster didn't even have one target?!!  The Offense continued to sputter and there were a couple more drops and high throws that our small receivers cant seem to get. I don't understand the logic of keeping Duke inactive when he could be improving this receiving corps right now. If he is injured or not fitting in with the rest of the team's chemistry then perhaps they would like to tell us this. In addition, the whole Duke is inactive due to focus on special teams abilities, makes no sense. Its not like we are tearing it up on kick and punt return TDs anyway. If anything its the opposite.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It’s bizarre because the routes that are run are not “speed” routes. I am pretty sure Duke can create space and get open on outs and slants. 

From what I see... Brown and Foster run the deep routes, Beasley and Knox (Kroft occasionally LOL) run the shorter routes, and McKenzie and Roberts run the quick flats designed to take advantage of their speed to the outside. I see no role for Duke right now, and so the inactive status makes sense to me. We only have so many roster spots... so whose spot would he take then if he's fully capable? Curious... I love the guy but it's like musical chairs out there...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

11 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

From what I see... Brown and Foster run the deep routes, Beasley and Knox (Kroft occasionally LOL) run the shorter routes, and McKenzie and Roberts run the quick flats designed to take advantage of their speed to the outside. I see no role for Duke right now, and so the inactive status makes sense to me. We only have so many roster spots... so whose spot would he take then if he's fully capable? Curious... I love the guy but it's like musical chairs out there...

I would put him in for Foster. Roberts and Brown can both run those fly routes. I am not even sure Foster played a snap last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He would take DiMarco's spot. Talk about non essential to the team. We run 11 personnel almost 80% of the time. Would rather have Duke available to rotate in than a FB we never use.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Foster played special teams. That was the only time I seen him 

Yeah, and he almost cost the W with a very feeble attempt to slow a rusher down on the last punt.   Luckily his Steeler assignment didn't go all out for the block, because he was certainly in a position if he dove.

2 hours ago, Luka said:

He would take DiMarco's spot. Talk about non essential to the team. We run 11 personnel almost 80% of the time. Would rather have Duke available to rotate in than a FB we never use.

Even if someone hates Duke, how could they possibly argue that DiMarco or Lee Smith are more vital to the team. Does DiMarco even see the field anymore other than his one dropped pass? How about Lee Smith? All he does is receive penalties. Give me the big body receiver even if his only

play is to block and a jump ball 1-2 times per game. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I would put him in for Foster. Roberts and Brown can both run those fly routes. I am not even sure Foster played a snap last night. 

That's pretty much the only spot really for offense... but I DO acknowledge those who say DiMarco as a possibility!

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Even if someone hates Duke, how could they possibly argue that DiMarco or Lee Smith are more vital to the team. Does DiMarco even see the field anymore other than his one dropped pass? How about Lee Smith? All he does is receive penalties. Give me the big body receiver even if his only

play is to block and a jump ball 1-2 times per game. 

To be fair, Kroft has been a Glass Joe at TE, and we could not take a chance being thin at TE so I get the Lee Smith spot.