Ravens @ Bills ****Predict the score****

31-18 Buffalo in a shocker...then we are all glued to our sets screaming for the Chiefs to beat the Pats so we can say we are in control of our own destiny for once..... Probably a pipe dream, but we have nothing to lose. Basically we have been slotted as a likely wild card for weeks, so the team with all the pressure and expectations is the Ravens. 

2 hours ago, LJs Bodyguard said:

We'll certainly see come this Sunday. The Patriots have a VERY good secondary and couldn't slow down the Ravens. That game could have been way more lopsided if the Ravens didn't gift the Patriots a muffed punt when we had a 17-0 lead. Patriots score and then the Ravens proceeded to gift them with another short field right after that and they still won by 17.

The Rams were also playing great D for a stretch of a few games and have Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey and got absolutely smoked.

But that has nothing to do with the quality of your secondary or the Bills secondary.

4 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

As bad as I want to win, I don't see it happening. 

24 Crows

14 Bills

Do you know the difference between a Raven and a Crow?

See, a Crow has 7 pinion feathers.  A Raven has 8 pinion feathers.

The difference between a Raven and a Crow, is just a Matter of a Pinion

I call them the Poe-Birds

I think it’s either gonna be a nasty Iggles-type blow out, or a closer game than you predict.  We’ll see.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, wjag said:

Bills 9

Baltimore 31

I've watched Baltimore all season.  There is no current league answer for Jackson/Ingram/Edwards.

I don't think people appreciate how good the Baltimore Defense is since it is all LJ, all the time these days. 

Baltimore does not follow conventional rules and we have a conventional rules coach.  Whereas Baltimore will go for it on 4 and whatever anywhere on the field, Buffalo will send out the punter/placekicker.  Baltimore is 15/20 on 4th down!  and their opponents are 6/14!!! In the few times that Baltimore has been stopped on 4th down, their D has bailed them out.  The Baltimore Offense goes on 10-15 play drives and eats clock. 

I fear the Buffalo hurry up offense and a non-gambling coach will keep giving the ball back to Baltimore until such time as the game requires him not to.  I've seen this conservative behavior with Baltimore opponents week in and week out. 

The one hope:  Last week against a truly stout offense the Baltimore defense got exposed on the edges.  They'll surely expect Singletary to try and get there and game plan for it.  Singletary needs 120 yards rushing and Allen needs 60 more.  However, as long as this team insists on giving Frank Gore the ball in short yardage situations, they are an easy mark.

How I could be wrong: Sean needs to throw out the rulebook here and go for it.  He needs to use all four downs and he needs to step on their throat, if given a chance.  He needs to fight fire with fire.  Let's see how they like a running QB running 10-12 a game. 

If he loses, it's just one game he was not expected to win.  If he wins, glory.  If he wins, the Bills might just run the table with weakened Pitt and NE teams and a hapless Jets team left.  I wish I was feeling it, but I am not.  It's not stopping me from making the 8-hr trek to come watch it, but I have my expectations fully tempered.

The Ravens have gone for 4th down 6 more times than the Bills.  You’re talking as if the Bills never do it.

Baltimore is 19th in time of possession.

**EDIT**

Ravens are 2nd.  I put in 2009 instead of 2019.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Ravens have gone for 4th down 6 more times than the Bills.  You’re talking as if the Bills never do it.

Your facts are correct.  But to me, it's not how many times you do it as much as when you do it.  I've watched every Bills game and every Ravens game this season.  The Ravens do it to keep their momentum up.  They do it to establish a lead and keep the lead.  I don't have the facts to back me up here, but some of those times the Bills have done it were forced (losing late).  And 15/20 and 6/14 are dramatically different in the game setting. 

The only time I can recall it coming back to bite the Ravens was their game in KC.  That was early season when Mahomes was Mahoming.  The scuttle but in Baltimore was they had to match the Chiefs explosiveness so they went for it on their own 40 early in the 1st quarter (can you ever imagine our head coach doing this?)  They didn't make it and Mahomes Mahomed them.  After that, they had gone full throttle in their eight game win streak.  And they are doing it by going on 4th down early in games to get the lead.  I saw an interesting stat about the 10-2 Ravens.  There are five teams in the NFL with a record of 10-2 (Baltimore, NE, SF, NO, Sea).  The Ravens have beaten three of them (NE - Smashed them, SF -- survived them and Seattle - whipped them in their yard).

I'll be rooting as hard as the next guy.  I hate the Ravens more than just about any other team not named NE.   I think the key to stopping the Ravens is not so much stopping Jackson (he's going to get his) as it is stopping Ingram from running between the guards for 8-10 yards a carry on 1st or 2nd down.   The play action between Ingram and Jackson is killing teams.  They can't figure out which one of them has the ball.  If the Ravens are in 3rd and 6, they will run either Ingram or Jackson to get four or five yards knowing they are going on 4th and short.  That's what is making this team so difficult to defend.  They use all four downs to play offense from the get go.  Baltimore only punted twice against the Niners.  Twice!

21 minutes ago, wjag said:

Your facts are correct.  But to me, it's not how many times you do it as much as when you do it.  I've watched every Bills game and every Ravens game this season.  The Ravens do it to keep their momentum up.  They do it to establish a lead and keep the lead.  I don't have the facts to back me up here, but some of those times the Bills have done it were forced (losing late).  And 15/20 and 6/14 are dramatically different in the game setting. 

The only time I can recall it coming back to bite the Ravens was their game in KC.  That was early season when Mahomes was Mahoming.  The scuttle but in Baltimore was they had to match the Chiefs explosiveness so they went for it on their own 40 early in the 1st quarter (can you ever imagine our head coach doing this?)  They didn't make it and Mahomes Mahomed them.  After that, they had gone full throttle in their eight game win streak.  And they are doing it by going on 4th down early in games to get the lead.  I saw an interesting stat about the 10-2 Ravens.  There are five teams in the NFL with a record of 10-2 (Baltimore, NE, SF, NO, Sea).  The Ravens have beaten three of them (NE - Smashed them, SF -- survived them and Seattle - whipped them in their yard).

I'll be rooting as hard as the next guy.  I hate the Ravens more than just about any other team not named NE.   I think the key to stopping the Ravens is not so much stopping Jackson (he's going to get his) as it is stopping Ingram from running between the guards for 8-10 yards a carry on 1st or 2nd down.   The play action between Ingram and Jackson is killing teams.  They can't figure out which one of them has the ball.  If the Ravens are in 3rd and 6, they will run either Ingram or Jackson to get four or five yards knowing they are going on 4th and short.  That's what is making this team so difficult to defend.  They use all four downs to play offense from the get go.  Baltimore only punted twice against the Niners.  Twice!

"But some of those times?"  Every team has "some of those times".  You just stated that the Ravens did it against KC so they have "some of those times".  And I'm willing to bet that they have more than just once.

The last time we went for it on 4th down was last game against the Cowboys.  It was tied 7-7 in the 2nd quarter.  That was early in the game and to gain momentum.  Something you say the Bills don't do.

I just looked up the play by play for the Ravens/Chiefs game and what you wrote was wrong on two accounts.  One, it wasn't in early in the 1st quarter, it was in the 2nd quarter.  Two, they converted it.  

I'm not arguing the Bills are better than the Ravens.  Right now, the Ravens are the best team in the league.  It's just evident you're looking at both teams with a different set of eyes.  You're making it sound like the Bills are never aggressive.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:25 PM, r00tabaga said:

Last loss of regular season.

This is how I feel. I think Balt will win this one and it might not be close, but I also like the Bills to run the table the rest of the way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"But some of those times?"  Every team has "some of those times".  You just stated that the Ravens did it against KC so they have "some of those times".  And I'm willing to bet that they have more than just once.

The last time we went for it on 4th down was last game against the Cowboys.  It was tied 7-7 in the 2nd quarter.  That was early in the game and to gain momentum.  Something you say the Bills don't do.

I just looked up the play by play for the Ravens/Chiefs game and what you wrote was wrong on two accounts.  One, it wasn't in early in the 1st quarter, it was in the 2nd quarter.  Two, they converted it.  

I'm not arguing the Bills are better than the Ravens.  Right now, the Ravens are the best team in the league.  It's just evident you're looking at both teams with a different set of eyes.  You're making it sound like the Bills are never aggressive.

So I looked it up as well.  My memory was off.  It was not to say the Bills are not aggressive, but there's aggressive and then there is step on their throat aggressive.  Which is what Baltimore is doing all season.  Their punter doesn't need to shower after a game.

Here's a snippet from Penn-Live.com that essentially backs up my points.  Bolding is my emphasis.

"Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh showed early in Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs he isn’t afraid to take fourth-down risks.

And he’s seen evidence of how those gambles can pay off and how they can go wrong.

On their first possession of the tilt between AFC contenders, the Ravens faced a fourth-and-3 from the Chiefs’ 9-yard line. Harbaugh left his offense on the field and watched as quarterback Lamar Jackson scrambled to pick up the first down, extending a drive that ended with a short Mark Ingram touchdown run a play later.

That gave Baltimore an early 6-0 edge. On the Ravens’ second drive, Harbaugh remained aggressive. The offense converted a fourth-and-1 from their own 34 by handing the ball to running back Gus Edwards and sending him up the middle.

A couple plays later, Baltimore faced a fourth-and-2 from their own 47, and once again, the offense stayed on the field. This time, Kansas City got a stop, pressuring Jackson and forcing him to throw a short incompletion.

The Chiefs turned the good field position into a 47-yard touchdown drive and took a 14-6 lead."

That's three times in the first half.  They have never looked back on this aggressive play calling since then.  It is reported that Harbaugh has a stats geek that whispers percentages in his ear throughout the game.  As I watched them evolve over the season, they are breaking the paradigm in the NFL on when to go for it on 4th down.  Buffalo needs to know that 3rd and 6 and a stop almost certainly means they plan to go for it on 4th down.  Until they make them pay for that behavior.

1 minute ago, wjag said:

So I looked it up as well.  My memory was off.  It was not to say the Bills are not aggressive, but there's aggressive and then there is step on their throat aggressive.  Which is what Baltimore is doing all season.  Their punter doesn't need to shower after a game.

Here's a snippet from Penn-Live.com that essentially backs up my points.  Bolding is my emphasis.

"Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh showed early in Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs he isn’t afraid to take fourth-down risks.

And he’s seen evidence of how those gambles can pay off and how they can go wrong.

On their first possession of the tilt between AFC contenders, the Ravens faced a fourth-and-3 from the Chiefs’ 9-yard line. Harbaugh left his offense on the field and watched as quarterback Lamar Jackson scrambled to pick up the first down, extending a drive that ended with a short Mark Ingram touchdown run a play later.

That gave Baltimore an early 6-0 edge. On the Ravens’ second drive, Harbaugh remained aggressive. The offense converted a fourth-and-1 from their own 34 by handing the ball to running back Gus Edwards and sending him up the middle.

A couple plays later, Baltimore faced a fourth-and-2 from their own 47, and once again, the offense stayed on the field. This time, Kansas City got a stop, pressuring Jackson and forcing him to throw a short incompletion.

The Chiefs turned the good field position into a 47-yard touchdown drive and took a 14-6 lead."

That's three times in the first half.  They have never looked back on this aggressive play calling since then.  It is reported that Harbaugh has a stats geek that whispers percentages in his ear throughout the game.  As I watched them evolve over the season, they are breaking the paradigm in the NFL on when to go for it on 4th down.  Buffalo needs to know that 3rd and 6 and a stop almost certainly means they plan to go for it on 4th down.  Until they make them pay for that behavior.

You're forgetting that Lamar Jackson is the leading MVP candidate right now.  He's playing incredibly right now.  

Do you think Harbaugh goes for it as much on 4th down with Flacco at QB?  He's got a luxury right now.

Allen wasn't playing anywhere near an MVP level at the first half of the year.  The light bulb is now turning on for him and with that, you can be more aggressive.

Allen has 

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're forgetting that Lamar Jackson is the leading MVP candidate right now.  He's playing incredibly right now.  

Do you think Harbaugh goes for it as much on 4th down with Flacco at QB?  He's got a luxury right now.

Allen wasn't playing anywhere near an MVP level at the first half of the year.  The light bulb is now turning on for him and with that, you can be more aggressive.

Allen has 

No.  He clearly has built the strategy and team around Jackson's talent.  He does have a luxury others don't personnel-wise.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ravens are 1st in ToP/G at 34:32. Not sure what stats you are looking at.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Edited by terpsnation