Do the "look at me" actions of Shaq and Oliver bother you?

PUNT750

13 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Tre almost cost us the Bengals game. I would like to see things toned down until after the Super Bowl win.

No he didn't. He didn't celebrate until after the ref blew the whistle and signaled play over. 

If you want to pretend that didn't happen, then sure, Tre almost cost us the game.

And Dallas almost made 2 fg's and a TD before their last score, so they almost won. 

And 10 pages later, PUNT the troll got exactly what he or she wanted. Have they come back once to respond to the many thoughtful takes  over the course of several days to respond on this? Many, MANY posters in this thread put way more thought into responses to this asinine provocation by the OP and yet he hasn’t come back to reply once in his own thread. I thought that was a rule around here but “rules” around here don’t get enforced equally so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bang up job guys

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

And 10 pages later, PUNT the troll got exactly what he or she wanted. Have they come back once to respond to the many thoughtful takes  over the course of several days to respond on this? Many, MANY posters in this thread put way more thought into responses to this asinine provocation by the OP and yet he hasn’t come back to reply once in his own thread. I thought that was a rule around here but “rules” around here don’t get enforced equally so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bang up job guys

I've never heard until very recently this idea that an OP is required to 'tend' to their own tread.   If others felt this was a pointless and trolling thread, they should have just ignored it.

Edited by KD in CA

The “old school” way of thinking baffles me. Why are these guys not allowed to celebrate? Now I will agree that doing an elaborate first down dance because you got a first down on 2nd and 3 can be a bit much, but why do people rag on these guys for having fun?

Let’s stop making it seem like the “old school” was this amazing form of football/entertainment. It was old school to hate the offense on your own team if you played on the defense and vice versa. It was old school to deliberately headhunt a player well after the play was over. Those guys played well outside the rules-it wasn’t football. What’s next you’re going to tell me that the NBA in the 90’s is so much better than today? It wasn’t better, you just had less athletic guys who couldn’t play basketball trying to tackle the amazing athletes like Jordan so he wouldn’t score 50 every game. 

14 minutes ago, Pay_Poyer said:

The “old school” way of thinking baffles me. Why are these guys not allowed to celebrate? Now I will agree that doing an elaborate first down dance because you got a first down on 2nd and 3 can be a bit much, but why do people rag on these guys for having fun?

Let’s stop making it seem like the “old school” was this amazing form of football/entertainment. It was old school to hate the offense on your own team if you played on the defense and vice versa. It was old school to deliberately headhunt a player well after the play was over. Those guys played well outside the rules-it wasn’t football. What’s next you’re going to tell me that the NBA in the 90’s is so much better than today? It wasn’t better, you just had less athletic guys who couldn’t play basketball trying to tackle the amazing athletes like Jordan so he wouldn’t score 50 every game. 

As an old schooler I’ll try to explain once again.  Back in the day (the day being the 60’s for me) we were taught that the team was more important than the individual.  We were taught that if you want to show up an opponent the best way to do so is to beat them, and then act like it was no big deal, like you could do it whenever you wanted.

For us old school folks the actual football itself is entertainment enough.  We see the antics some players do as distracting rather than adding to the entertainment.  The celebrations are not the game; football is the game.

We are not “ragging on” anyone.  A question was asked and some of us old school folks voiced our preference.  In contrast it seems more like some of those who appreciate the celebratory behavior are ragging on folks like me who simply are stating a preference, and why.  I know things are not going back to the way I was taught, I am not demanding it should.  Individuals will continue their stunts, I’ll frown, you’ll like it and life will go on.  I’ll keep watching and rooting for them, so will you.

All I ask is folks have some respect for the fact that different people can have different views.

Edited by oldmanfan

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

As an old schooler I’ll try to explain once again.  Back in the day (the day being the 60’s for me) we were taught that the team was more important than the individual.  We were taught that if you want to show up an opponent the best way to do so is to beat them, and then act like it was no big deal, like you could do it whenever you wanted.

For us old school folks the actual football itself is entertainment enough.  We see the antics some players do as distracting rather than adding to the entertainment.  The celebrations are not the game; football is the game.

We are not “ragging on” anyone.  A question was asked and some of us old school folks voiced our preference.  In contrast it seems more like some of those who appreciate the celebratory behavior are ragging on folks like me who simply are stating a preference, and why.  I know things are not going back to the way I was taught, I am not demanding it should.  Individuals will continue their stunts, I’ll frown, you’ll like it and life will go on.  I’ll keep watching and rooting for them, so will you.

All I ask is folks have some respect for the fact that different people can have different views.

And I get a lot of what you’re saying, but just because someone celebrates doesn’t mean they aren’t team first. These guys should be allowed to celebrate. Now I’m not even going to pretend that I read through all 10 pages of this thread so if people were not respecting your opinion that’s not cool, but all of the responses I have read on both sides have been pretty cordial. 

I guess my response isn’t just for football, but for sports in general. I mentioned my thought with football and basketball, but you also see it with baseball and all of the “unwritten” (i.e. dumb) rules. I want the players to have a personality-do a dance, celebrate with your team, but play within the rules, which again playing within the rules isn’t really an old school thing 

‘Old school’ bs...guys were celebrating and talking ***** back in the day too.

i got no issue if you want to go back to the huddle w/your head down or dance after you make a play. It’s all football to me. Seems to the people who don’t like it are the ones with the problem. 

2 minutes ago, Pay_Poyer said:

And I get a lot of what you’re saying, but just because someone celebrates doesn’t mean they aren’t team first. These guys should be allowed to celebrate. Now I’m not even going to pretend that I read through all 10 pages of this thread so if people were not respecting your opinion that’s not cool, but all of the responses I have read on both sides have been pretty cordial. 

I guess my response isn’t just for football, but for sports in general. I mentioned my thought with football and basketball, but you also see it with baseball and all of the “unwritten” (i.e. dumb) rules. I want the players to have a personality-do a dance, celebrate with your team, but play within the rules, which again playing within the rules isn’t really an old school thing 

Different strokes for different folks.  In my era if you celebrated like that the coach would have pinned your butt to the bench.  Because that kind of behavior was not considered as supportive of the team.  But things change.  And I get that.  It’s not my thing, never will be. But that’s the way it is.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

‘Old school’ bs...guys were celebrating and talking ***** back in the day too.

i got no issue if you want to go back to the huddle w/your head down or dance after you make a play. It’s all football to me. Seems to the people who don’t like it are the ones with the problem. 

I’m not sure how old you are, but if you did not grow up in the 60’s like I did please quit presuming that folks back then celebrated then like they do now.  We simply did not.  If a guy scored you’d give him 5, guys would congratulate each other, but you didn’t have these choreographed stunts afterward. Guys did not have the individual celebrations after a sack or home run or whatever like you see now. The officials would have called it, and the coach would have benched you.  

As for it being a problem?  Please.  It is not a problem either way.  It is expressing preferences and discussing such.  If you can’t get that perhaps you have a problem.

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

It’s amazing some people complaining about Bills players celebrating making big plays on a 9-3 team. 

It’s amazing how some people overreact.  The question is simply whether folks feel the celebrations were overdone.  Some folks like me simply think it is regardless if it’s a Bills player or not.

What’s amazing is the inability of people to accept different opinions.  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I want to go back to leather helmets too while we at it 

You’d have less head injuries; guys would have to learn how to tackle the right way.

Why is it unacceptable to you that there can be different opinions on the celebration topic?

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You’d have less head injuries; guys would have to learn how to tackle the right way.

Why is it unacceptable to you that there can be different opinions on the celebration topic?

Lol ok

remember no reaction, head down and back to the huddle??I expect nothing less from the old school 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Because some opinions are dumb. Sorry but that’s the truth.

Your opinion on NFL celebrations is one of them. So I’m gonna dance on it like Cam Newton sry bud 

You’re a great example of what’s wrong with society at large.  Your opinion is truth; any others are false.  Can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion.  

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You’re a great example of what’s wrong with society at large.  Your opinion is truth; any others are false.  Can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion.  

Yup me and Jordan Phillips what’s wrong w society. Another stellar take from the old school.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think you're a little hung up on other's "accepting" your opinion. Pretty sure nobody believes they can deny you your opinion, but it's fair game to fully disagree with it. That's pretty much the crux of the thread; opinions.

I happen to think yours is antiquated and even silly, but I respect your RIGHT to hold an opinion.

The Bills have been historically "nice" since the glory days.

Time to have some fun out there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think you're a little hung up on other's "accepting" your opinion. Pretty sure nobody believes they can deny you your opinion, but it's fair game to fully disagree with it. That's pretty much the crux of the thread; opinions.

I happen to think yours is antiquated and even silly, but I respect your RIGHT to hold an opinion.

Go back and check my posts here.  I have said multiple times that while it is not my preference I understand things have changed, that players do this now, and that I am not yelling to the league to go back.  If I wax Goodell I would limit it but I’m not.

I think if you objectively look at the postings herein there is a refusal to accept the opinion of some older folks.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Go back and check my posts here.  I have said multiple times that while it is not my preference I understand things have changed, that players do this now, and that I am not yelling to the league to go back.  If I wax Goodell I would limit it but I’m not.

I think if you objectively look at the postings herein there is a refusal to accept the opinion of some older folks.

There's a difference between accepting opinions and getting personally offended when someone doesn't agree. 

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

And I respect your thoughts in my outlook being antiquated.  I would not disagree.  Just that sometimes older is better.

Just now, Elite Poster said:

There's a difference between accepting opinions and getting personally offended when someone doesn't agree. 

Yeah.  I’m cool with the opinion some like the celebrating.  Said so several times now.

• Thank you (+1) 1