Is Jason Garrett coaching for his job Thursday?

HOUSE

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They are still leading their division. It's not that bad. 

Different expectations. You think Jerry Jones is happy with simply a division leader? Especially one if they lost to the perceived lowly Buffalo Bills on Thanksgiving?

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He'll last until the seasons over unless Buffalo completely dominate and win handedly. 

Then some action might happen sooner. 

I agree

I think he should be fired.  For at least 4 years Jason Garrett has under performed (IMO) based on potential.  The Cowboys should have been very dominate the last 4 years, but, they are always just in the (upper) of the middle pack.

Edited by Manther
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

If Jones had fires Garrett after the Patriots game, the blowback and criticism would have been massive. The Patriots have a good record, it might have been seen as an overreaction. But a loss to the Bills at home is completely different scenario and it seems by his subtle hints and not so subtle hints that this loss would be the back breaker. 

Would the Cowboys break tradition and fire Garrett in season after a prime time home field loss when being favored by almost a touchdown? Does he survive a close loss?

So the only coach Jerry Jones has fired in season to my knowledge was Wade Phillips, who was replaced by Jason Garrett after a 1-7 start.

Other coaching changes have always been made after the season

The worst that can happen after this weekend is that the Cowboys would be tied for division lead, and currently own the tiebreaker.

It would be kind of radical to fire a coach who has the team tied for the division lead during the season, even after they lose to a team with a better record.

That's not to say Jerry wouldn't do it.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

The only way Garrett gets fired is if Buffalo completely shellacs them tomorrow. Other than that Jerry will just keep him around until the end of the year when his contract runs out. 

I generally don’t want anyone getting fired, but I could get 100% behind this!  ?

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No in that I don't believe he is fired in season. I think he is coaching for his job from here on out though. And squeaking into the playoffs at 9-7 might not be enough. 

The NFL has different levels of head coaching failure.  Missing the playoffs almost every year is one kind of a failure.  Making the playoffs every year and being one and done is another kind of failure (see Marvin Lewis) , however fans of the teams who miss the playoffs every year think Lewis is a success.  Winning playoff games but never winning the big one is third kind of failure (see Mary Shottenheimer, Dan Quinn) .  Fans of the first two types failures think these coaches are a success.  The next type of failure is not winning enough super bowls recently (see Tom Landry, Mike McCarthy).    Its a rare few coaches who aren't ultimately fired to end their head coaching career.  

52 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The NFL has different levels of head coaching failure.  Missing the playoffs almost every year is one kind of a failure.  Making the playoffs every year and being one and done is another kind of failure (see Marvin Lewis) , however fans of the teams who miss the playoffs every year think Lewis is a success.  Winning playoff games but never winning the big one is third kind of failure (see Mary Shottenheimer, Dan Quinn) .  Fans of the first two types failures think these coaches are a success.  The next type of failure is not winning enough super bowls recently (see Tom Landry, Mike McCarthy).    Its a rare few coaches who aren't ultimately fired to end their head coaching career.  

It is the same in all coaching. I was a relatively successful semi pro soccer coach. My first club I did a turnaround job and from them finishing in the bottom 5 of a 20 team league every year before I got there I left after finishing 4th in the final of my 4 seasons. That was hailed as a huge success and I left to take a job with one of the teams who perennially finished in the top 5 but had a down year the year before. We finished 3rd and missed out on being champions and promoted to the next division by one point. I thought that was a pretty good effort. The owner and some of the supporters did not necessarily agree. I lost 2 of my first 4 games the next season and was fired. It isn't only the NFL that stands for "Not For Long". 

Edited by GunnerBill

Garrett has been coaching there forever and they haven’t accomplished nothing.

Id be pissed if I was Jerry too.  As a shrewd businessman he’d have cut ties along time ago.  That’s prob what makes him so ma.

Edited by JinxedBill

...Pat Shurmur does NOT approve of this message....

Report: If fired, Jason Garrett’s preferred destination is the Giants

Posted by Mike Florio on November 24, 2019, 10:32 AM EST

As Cowboys coach Jason Garrett embarks on what could be the final six games of his tenure in Texas, someone connected to Garrett is offering a not-so-subtle warning to Jones & Son, LLC: If you don’t keep Garrett, he may end up coaching one of your biggest rivals.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL has floated the idea of Garrett landing with the Giants, if the Cowboys opt not to give him a new contract and if the Giants tear up the remaining years on Pat Shurmur’s deal.

The biggest kernel of news is that the Giants would be Garrett’s top choice if the Cowboys don’t keep him. And that may indeed be true. But the fact that it’s coming out now is hardly a coincidence. It’s a be-careful-what-you-wish-for jab at Jerry Jones, reminding him that, if he doesn’t want Garrett, someone else may.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/24/report-if-fired-jason-garretts-preferred-destination-is-the-giants/

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  With that roster, Dallas should be one of the top teams in the NFC. They have underperformed.

...but you're talking DALLAS and JURRAH.....the President, GM, Sanitary Engineer, Head Chef, Draft Guru, Director of Nothing and Azzclown Extraordinaire....didn't he pay the "Walk On Water Garrett" more as OC than he was paying Wade as HC?.....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if they do the latter would that take away from a buffalo win on the national stage? it seems the media and some fans would use anything they can to discredit a bills win just as many look at the bills as the worst 8-3 team in the nfl and see them more as an 3-8 team?

Seriously. Are we still on the lack of respect schtick?    Do people really see the Bills as an 3-8 team?  Why do you listen to them?

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think Jerry forced him to go for it on 4th and 1 at the 19

I think Garrett is daring Jerry to can him.  That team is a mess.  Zeke with a massive contract and now they want to be a passing team.  Dak wanting 40M a year  No way the keep Cooper as well  Defense soft