Cleveland Fans Triggered by Mike Tomlin

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

that last tweet in the OP is a blazing hot take.

Easy way to avoid the situation. Don’t throw ball in an unwinnable game with 8 seconds left“

Aka... don’t play football in a football game!  ?

That's a good point. I can't say I can ever recall the losing team take a knee at the end, even when the game's clearly out of reach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Tomlinson is a tool!  Of course it was a teachable moment, how? By teaching them to disengage and walk away especially a QB! Garrett was the ultimate tool, but Pouncey And Rudolph were also Dumb.  I’m shocked Rudolph didn’t get a game  himself for the ruckus..  whenever you get suspended it’s a teachable moment how prevent said suspension. 

Who the hell is Tomlinson?

41 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I have a Browns fan client, came into the office friday morning basically gloating about it, like he was proud of the moment.

Yipes.

a client okay

if that's your doctor or dentist or lawyer or accountant, fire him immediately

6 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Rudolph is nowhere near white as snow in this incident.  He tries to take off Garrett's helmet himself.  Myles should have just checked Rudolph's helmet into the stands or something.  He totally flipped

totally flipping never has an excuse to make it go away

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I really want to see the Browns season totally implode

should be fun at Pittsburgh

hope the crowd is respectful and classy for the Browns

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

I didn't say it was an excuse.  Just stating the obvious.

we'll see what good the obvious does

i watch the NHL and every game i hear them say "it's the retaliation that gets the two minutes, you have to learn to dish it out later"

in the NFL there is always another day for payback on a twerp....

1 hour ago, motorj said:

Every week teams with no chance of winning in the final minutes play till the final seconds without any hitches, so I dont see any probs playing till the final secs for extra reps, especially with the defense still playing hard

The problem with this is that it can lead to injuries.  What is to be gained from not running one extra play with 8 seconds remaining and down by two scores?

I get the extra reps part with minutes remaining, but seconds, no.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I saw Gronk on Fox's pre-pregame show kind of defend it by saying there are times you blackout from anger building up during the game and then do something stupid that you immediately regret. He then used his hit on White as an example, saying he was held and had a bunch of things happen during the game to him that his frustration blew up and he dropped the elbow on him which he immediately realised was wrong and regretted. His whole explanation sounded more like he was suffering 'roid rage though...... 

Gronkowski is full of it!

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I get the whole MR went for Myles Garrets helmet first. I have 2 thoughts on that:

1. Mason Rudolph didn’t succeed in taking his helmet off and then also did not swing it at anybody’s head. 

2. It was a late hit and MG was driving the QB into the ground. Both penalties. The whole thing looked like a scuffle on the ground, that happens sometimes in football. Not a huge deal until....

I am with Tomlin on this one. 

To this point here, Garrett stayed on top of Rudolph after he dragged him down and words were exchanged. My guess is whatever was said there (in addition to having a crap game and the late hit) was the reason Rudolph went at him. When DeCastro got in between them it seemed like the situation was deescalating, but Rudolph kept shoving and then got hit with the helmet. Garrett is obviously way out of line but I was surprised Rudolph didn't get a fine for continuing the scuffle when it looked like DeCastro had them separated. By the way, I love DeCastro's actions after Garrett swung the helmet, he's like, "Alright, I was being nice but now I'm just gonna sit on you until you calm yo tiddies."

As for Tomlin... I don't think the words "class act" get said much when discussing him. He doesn't run a very tight ship and prefers to be a "bro" to his players as opposed to an authority. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Funny somebody questioned the play call as the cause lol...that’s laughable.

Garret started the nonsense in the way he took him down, in my eyes, it looked as if he was trying to add more to the hit by twisting him. I don’t see any problem with Mason doing what he did to try and get him off him. You can’t expect a grown ass man to just walk away after getting your helmet ripped off. 

It was late and unnecessary by Garret since the ball was gone as well..  I don't really fault Rudolph for being pissed...  Continuing to pursue afterwards was a mistake though but he had a right to be PO'd.

17 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It was late and unnecessary by Garret since the ball was gone as well..  I don't really fault Rudolph for being pissed...  Continuing to pursue afterwards was a mistake though but he had a right to be PO'd.

everything leading up to the helmet swing isn't going to be punished by the league,

putting the boot in got more than i thought it would, well, they just wanted to make sure Pouncey wasn't playing in the Browns game upcoming...

I watched the end game live and saw it all.
Thought everybody was punished appropriately, according to what they did!

On the question of Tomlin’s decision, MANY have weighed in.

Some, like Phil Simms, simply believe THAT is what you do, as an NFLer. Play to the end.

Meh- ordinarily take the knee.

In this case, I am with those who think this.

1) The Steelers stunk it up.

2) They took a head shot earlier from the Browns, right?

3) Rematch in 2 weeks. A kneel appears to be surrender. NOT a good look.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Really the only teachable moment here is that you don't need to run a play (other than kneeling) with 8 seconds left and down 2 TDs.  Doubt Tomlin learns from this, though since he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

EVERY team try to get in as many plays as they can in obvious losing causes? WHY? I have no clue. Players might want to pad stats, but certainly not coaches, risking their players' health. It's something that has never made sense to me.

4 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

You certainly did say that...

“To insinuate in any way that Mason Rudolph did anything to cause or warrant being struck in the head with a blunt object, an act of pure aggression with potentially lethal consequences, is pure foolishness.”

Garrett certainly is responsible for letting himself get triggered into his response. But these aren’t rocket scientists here, they have been trained to be violent for over half their lives. Rudolph was kidding himself if he didn’t think his actions wouldn’t cause a response. I don’t approve of Garrets response, but I understand it.

I think you must have a reading comprehension problem. I did not say Rudolph did not do anything wrong. I said he did not do anything to warrant Garrett swinging a helmet violently at his head, which was unprotected. It really shouldn't be this difficult for you to distinguish between those two concepts.

BTW, they are not trained to be violent. They play a game that can be physically violent. When a player crosses the line and intentionally tries to injure another player, you don't make excuses for him. You hold him accountable for his own actions. Period. 

7 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I watched the end game live and saw it all.
Thought everybody was punished appropriately, according to what they did!

On the question of Tomlin’s decision, MANY have weighed in.

Some, like Phil Simms, simply believe THAT is what you do, as an NFLer. Play to the end.

Meh- ordinarily take the knee.

In this case, I am with those who think this.

1) The Steelers stunk it up.

2) They took a head shot earlier from the Browns, right?

3) Rematch in 2 weeks. A kneel appears to be surrender. NOT a good look.

hope the game is on my TV

11 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

This is going to be amazing.

I am expecting brutality!

Lane Pryce:  sigh.... are we done with the flogging?

Roger Sterling: it's never as good as you think it's gonna be....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Lane Pryce:  sigh.... are we done with the flogging?

Roger Sterling: it's never as good as you think it's gonna be....

Hoping it will be better.

I really want a war. Can they help themselves? Might work in our favour with Steelers coming up :)

Just now, OZBILLS said:

Hoping it will be better.

I really want a war. Can they help themselves? Might work in our favour with Steelers coming up :)

last time i was all hopped up was when Domi and Probert were hyped to have 6 battles on the ice, they didn't even bump into each other all night  :(

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

last time i was all hopped up was when Domi and Probert were hyped to have 6 battles on the ice, they didn't even bump into each other all night  :(

It's one of the only things I have to look forward to...let me have this! :D

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cleveland fans can cry all they want, Garrett is still the scumbag here.

Everything that happened was "regular football stuff" all the way to the point that Garrett decided to cross the line and swing a helmet at an unprotected head. Doesnt matter what lead up to it because nothing else crossed any lines. HE crossed the line.

Funny enough, not a SINGLE player-turned-analyst has defended Garrett. Not even some of the dumber ones that normally look for contrarian hot takes. Every one of them agrees Garrett was the one and only one to cross the line.

That's true, but I believe I've heard several of the analysts who were defenders say that Rudolph should face something for his role

Edit: Rudolph now says "my Bad"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001078888/article/rudolph-i-fell-short-of-nfl-steelers-standards-in-fight

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I get the whole MR went for Myles Garrets helmet first. I have 2 thoughts on that:

1. Mason Rudolph didn’t succeed in taking his helmet off and then also did not swing it at anybody’s head. 

2. It was a late hit and MG was driving the QB into the ground. Both penalties. The whole thing looked like a scuffle on the ground, that happens sometimes in football. Not a huge deal until....

I am with Tomlin on this one. 

Likewise. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true, but I believe I've heard several of the analysts who were defenders say that Rudolph should face something for his role

Yea Willie McDimest was on NFLN making that particular nonsensical argument on Sunday. 

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cleveland fans can cry all they want, Garrett is still the scumbag here.

Everything that happened was "regular football stuff" all the way to the point that Garrett decided to cross the line and swing a helmet at an unprotected head. Doesnt matter what lead up to it because nothing else crossed any lines. HE crossed the line.

Funny enough, not a SINGLE player-turned-analyst has defended Garrett. Not even some of the dumber ones that normally look for contrarian hot takes. Every one of them agrees Garrett was the one and only one to cross the line.

Exactly. 

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Really the only teachable moment here is that you don't need to run a play (other than kneeling) with 8 seconds left and down 2 TDs.  Doubt Tomlin learns from this, though since he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And I'm not excusing Myles Garret at all, I think he was clearly in the wrong; Tomlin had zero chance to win the game and shouldn't have run an actual play in this particular instance.

I think Tomlin is  a tired man   He has been coaching this since 2005 and it is a trying season....Also why wouldn;t you be upset when the Browns went head hunting against so many players in that game.

18 hours ago, blacklabel said:

To this point here, Garrett stayed on top of Rudolph after he dragged him down and words were exchanged. My guess is whatever was said there (in addition to having a crap game and the late hit) was the reason Rudolph went at him. When DeCastro got in between them it seemed like the situation was deescalating, but Rudolph kept shoving and then got hit with the helmet. Garrett is obviously way out of line but I was surprised Rudolph didn't get a fine for continuing the scuffle when it looked like DeCastro had them separated. By the way, I love DeCastro's actions after Garrett swung the helmet, he's like, "Alright, I was being nice but now I'm just gonna sit on you until you calm yo tiddies."

Word from the league was he will be fined.  Haven't heard how much yet.

11 hours ago, nemhoff said:

The Browns just can't have nice things...even in a win they are losers

That pretty much seemed to be what Baker was saying after the game.

• Like (+1) 1