Disney putting cultural depictions warning on streaming.

Greybeard

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Good idea, bad idea, makes no difference?

Personally, I don't need the warning but I am really interested in how some sections of society are going to react to this.

https://summit.news/2019/11/14/disney-puts-outdated-cultural-depictions-trigger-warning-on-old-movies/

It has made me aware that I've wasted the last 40 years of my life by not being offended by mundane cultural nuances. 

• Like (+1) 1

I saw that Warner Brothers cartoons (Tom and Jerry) also have warnings about outdated cultural depictions. 

I’m curious about this, because my daughter has commented that the old Peter Pan movies mock “red Indians”, and it’s pretty obvious that there are racist stereotypes with the crows in Dumbo, just to name a few. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Now wait a minute......there is a Greybeard and a Gray Beard in here?

Actually, there’s a Graybeard, a Gray Beard, and a Greybeard. 

I’m Graybeard and Gray Beard, but Graybeard isn’t used anymore because of a password and email mix up.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Good idea, bad idea, makes no difference?

Personally, I don't need the warning but I am really interested in how some sections of society are going to react to this.

https://summit.news/2019/11/14/disney-puts-outdated-cultural-depictions-trigger-warning-on-old-movies/

I think it's fine I mean it's just a warning it's not like they ripped out the parts to make it okay or age restricted it. I mean it's basically a quick reminder that "Hey these childhood films are great but they probably contain some ***** up things you didn't think about at the time."

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is it guaranteed to prevent this:

tenor.gif

I guess I have to be against it.  Trigger away!

It's wrong to judge a book by it's cover.

With that being said, I know that I will not like her

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I think it's fine I mean it's just a warning it's not like they ripped out the parts to make it okay or age restricted it. I mean it's basically a quick reminder that "Hey these childhood films are great but they probably contain some ***** up things you didn't think about at the time."

I'm with you. There's been more than a few occasions where I've re-watched films and TV shows and been surprised at some of the language and tropes used that never entered my mind as a kid.

It's not my culture that would be depicted in any kind of derogatory fashion so I'm not about to tell people of other cultures that they can't be upset by it.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

society has become so soft. easily offended soft wimps. pathetic

It's easy when the world can view your "outrage" in one click. I am becoming more analog by the day. Hell, I may even subscribe to the Buffalo News and have it delivered here in Cincy!

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

It's easy when the world can view your "outrage" in one click. I am becoming more analog by the day. Hell, I may even subscribe to the Buffalo News and have it delivered here in Cincy!

I'm not outraged, if that is what you're implying. I guess I could of put it in to a softer light when stating my opinion on society today. I'm glad I grew up in a different world then today. a time when society was not so offended by things as they are today. I mean, it has come to a time where the disney shows that were before and during my time now have to have a warning so the feelings are not hurt.

sad.

• Thank you (+1) 1