Sign in to follow this  
rayray808

Josh Allen - week TEN report card

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

In the game I watched I saw some excellent throws, throws that I'm not sure all starting calibre NFL QBs can make. I also saw today, as I have in the past, a number of passes to open receivers that, while catchable, had placement that was bad enuf to unnecessarily increase the degree of difficulty, resulting in incompletions and lost YAC opportunities. And as for his long ball, I really don't know what is going on there. But I think there is a dearth of QB friendly throws that could also be productive with too much weight being placed on Allen's shoulders to execute an aggressive pass happy attack. Neither Allen nor his complement of skill position players are capable of that right now. This is not the greatest show on turf. Allen may never make it but Daboll and McD are not doing him any favours.

Fair comment

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

In the game I watched I saw some excellent throws, throws that I'm not sure all starting calibre NFL QBs can make. I also saw today, as I have in the past, a number of passes to open receivers that, while catchable, had placement that was bad enuf to unnecessarily increase the degree of difficulty, resulting in incompletions and lost YAC opportunities. And as for his long ball, I really don't know what is going on there. But I think there is a dearth of QB friendly throws that could also be productive with too much weight being placed on Allen's shoulders to execute an aggressive pass happy attack. Neither Allen nor his complement of skill position players are capable of that right now. This is not the greatest show on turf. Allen may never make it but Daboll and McD are not doing him any favours.

I would never say there were not SOME great throws in the game. 

It's the rest that drives me nuts. 

Edited by london_bills

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you are hiding your QB after 20 starts the chances are you drafted the wrong Quarterback. 

I just looked at the Packers/Panthers box score. Packers have passed the ball 22 times and ran the ball 23 times. Bills today ran the ball 20 times and passed 41 times. Packers aren't hiding their QB. They're game planning against a weak run defense. That is what we needed to do today.

• Like (+1) 2

He doesn’t throw with accuracy or anticipation. Most of his passes are to receivers curling into pockets in the defense. His passes are often out of position.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

This is pretty much how I see it.  Part of the issue to me is that when I watch other teams, I see passes with that degree of “off placement” routinely hauled in.  I know that Dalton especially his first years was off on those kind of throws and AJ Green saved him.  Without AJ Green he doesn’t make it to his 3rd year IMO.  Similar kind of dynamic with some other QBs including some of the rookies pressed into service.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Haters should take a look! Do I think he plays well enough? Nope. But damn some of his critics on here are delusional. Not every 2nd year QB is like Mahomes nor plays like a veteran Brees/Rodgers.

some 2nd year QB’s are like Jackson.  And almost all can hit open WR’s deep

Allen remains our playmaker on offense. The Bills refuse to lean on Singletary and the WR corps is poor to say the least. We have a TE that has potential but is very raw and learning on the job. John Brown is nice but he is a #2 or #3 on any other good offense in this league. Beasley is a nice #3 if used right but the Bills don’t have a viable #3 wr let alone a #1 wr. There are no dynamic playmakers in the wr corps and if you watch other games there are plenty more options that other quarterbacks have. Heck, the Mayfield has Landry and Beckham as well as Chubb and Hunt in the backfield. Think about that for a minute and here in Buffalo we continue to trot out Frank Gore for long stretches of the game (nice story but he is no longer a playmaker and should have an extremely limited role on any above average offense). Too bad Beane did not add a WR at the deadline as the Bills desperately need a better weapon.

I would be upset with Allen if he played like this and we established the run... but we didnʻt.

He doesnʻt call the plays, he does the best with what is called.

Daboll needs to really think about his gameplan for Miami

He tends to play his best when it matters the most.

Obviously, there are quite a few aspects to his game that he has to tighten up - but we have to stop pretending that a 2nd year QB is going to be this fully developed thing.  I hate to sound old, but I am - it used to be that rookies HAD to sit for a year or 2, and then it still took time to "get it."  The expectations are too big, too early.

I still think that class will be excellent - Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, obviously Jackson.  It takes time - Allen is improving, and we need to be patient.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, rayray808 said:

I would be upset with Allen if he played like this and we established the run... but we didnʻt.

He doesnʻt call the plays, he does the best with what is called.

Daboll needs to really think about his gameplan for Miami

The offensive game plan isn’t executed in isolation.  The DCs also scheme for the opponents weakness.

35 minutes ago, dubs said:

?

he didn’t play well by most standards.  260 yards on 41 pass attempts, zero TDs, 14 total points on offense. That’s not good. 

0 turnovers and 2 rushing TDs.  Those dont count???  

He once again put us in position to tie or win the game.  He made throws when it counted.  You guys need a new talk track. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Overall, no he didn’t but even the praise-chary McDermott noted that Allen did some good things in the game, including some good throws he wouldn’t have made last year.

Where I thought he took a step back today was his passes on the move where I felt that he had been excelling at his ball placement.

Allen has me baffled at times particularly when he makes some of the easier passes look hard - like the 8-10 yd drag routes. But I think it all comes down to someone whose muscle-memory has been trained to throw heaters to a spot vs dropping passes with anticipation in front of his moving target. I have seen him throw some beautiful deep ones down the sideline last year that were in and out of the hands of his receiver so I don't know if he is over-thinking the mechanics right now, but it's not there.

I have seen some improvement with a variety of Allen's passes and folks can agree to disagree, and I think because of his arm strength the passes Allen struggles to make makes sense as they are things I would expect him to struggle with. So this is where I think he is at: Come-back routes - money, receiver finding a spot and sitting in a zone - money, deep outs where he is throwing it outside a hash on a timing route - pretty good to very good if receivers can hang on, slants and posts - getting better, throwing a running receiver open on a drag or go route - long way to go still.

And I think the reason our screens are not working is because defenses are playing disciplined trying to keep Allen in the pocket, that means that they are not going to run up the field with abandon. The ends stay home and they can easily sniff those out - they may not ever work very well for us.

R

• Like (+1) 1

If play designs are resulting in WRs wide open for game-changing touchdowns and your QB can’t hit it, that’s not on the OC.  In fact, the OC should be praised. 

I’ve seen this before.  First the OC gets blamed, until the kool aid drinkers realize it was the QB all along.  

JA is going to be a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffbills123 said:

If play designs are resulting in WRs wide open for game-changing touchdowns and your QB can’t hit it, that’s not on the OC.  In fact, the OC should be praised. 

I’ve seen this before.  First the OC gets blamed, until the kool aid drinkers realize it was the QB all along.  

He may be a bust.  But if what you need is 4 yards to move the chains and you go for a deep bomb, that’s a Bad Decision by someone.

The reason the WCO and EP systems gained popularity over the vertical passing systems is because the long deep passes have always been low percentage throws - for every QB

• Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Blame Daboll.

We should, horrible play design for 3rd & 4 when you knew they would bring pressure. Daboll, absolutely 0 situational awareness...And why isn’t a Brown breaking off that route when they are rushing 7? Plenty of blame to go around here...

Edited by Meatloaf63

2 minutes ago, Buffbills123 said:

Bern like that for 15 years. Blame the coaching. Then when you get new coaches. The first thing they do is turn over the roster. Then the story becomes how were we expected to win without talent

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Bern like that for 15 years. Blame the coaching. Then when you get new coaches. The first thing they do is turn over the roster. Then the story becomes how were we expected to win without talent

Um, let’s be straight, there is no “we” here.

34 minutes ago, unclepete said:

He doesn’t throw with accuracy or anticipation. Most of his passes are to receivers curling into pockets in the defense. His passes are often out of position.  

Sometimes that's by design. I throw to ur back shoulder so you turn ur body away from contact or a possible INT.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He may be a bust.  But if what you need is 4 yards to move the chains and you go for a deep bomb, that’s a Bad Decision by someone.

The reason the WCO and EP systems gained popularity over the vertical passing systems is because the long deep passes have always been low percentage throws - for every QB

Mckenzie was wide open.  It was a great decision.  What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, let’s be straight, there is no “we” here.

No there definitely isnt. The we was refferring to the majority of the board. Still doesnt change the wash rinse repeat of the blame the coaching staff routinely gets

I can't be the only one who sees the irony that  3/4 of this board used to piss and moan that we didn't throw the ball enough as we led the league in rushing and scored roughly 24/25 points a game.  Now we still have a QB who's probably more of a scoring threat running than passing and average under 20 points a game.   I still think Allen will get better.  I thought the problem then was horrible pass catchers  and  no defense and the problem now is mediocre OL talent and growing pains at QB.  Hauscka choking in all the close games (NE and CLV) isn't helping.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

In action

This whole thing basically shows that it was a great play call but the pass was tipped.  Is that what you were trying to say?

• Like (+1) 1