Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

Our guy is going to go 0 for the season on bombs. I’m sure it keeps Josh up at night.  Can’t reiterate it enough. Have him watch endless reels of Russell Wilson bombs and notice how he throws super high Trajectory and allows his guys to run under them.

23 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

B- for the Browns game?  No way. 

It is time to stop looking at only at stats and give Josh the eye test.

For today:

Deep ball - F  (not close, not one ball within a foot of a receiver)

Medium range passes - F (no completions over 20 yards today)

Short passing - C

Overall accuracy - D.  I don't care if he completes 60% of his passes when the receiver continually has to stop his route and adjust to catch the ball.  There were drops but most of the time the receiver is forced to adjust, think about the sideline, or think about not getting killed because Josh's passes are off target.  He simply does not hit the receiver in stride enough.  So while his accuracy as a function of completion percentage is good, but when you look at the throws he makes, and the ones he misses, you can see an accuracy problem.  It is obvious. 

Decision making - C+ .  He did some good things sometimes.  Made some key runs, and did not throw any picks.

Pocket Presence - D.  He is blitzed a lot because he shows he cannot read a blitz and react.   Read the blitz and hit the hot receiver quickly, make them pay.  There is still too much running around and too little stepping up in the pocket and letting the ball go.  He is still not adept at making a defense pay for blitzing by a quick read and react --- instead he can sometimes generate a broken play scramble were he uses his incredible athletic gifts to make a play.  There is a controlled way to handle blitzes and at some point he needs to learn this and make the game a bit easier.   

Ball protection - D.  another fumble that could have killed a drive. 

Running - B  Best part of his game.  He should run more designed plays and less improvised plays.  He plays better overall, when he makes plays with his feet.  It gets him flowing better. 

Two minute drill  F - abysmal use of sideline, and time management.  Never has two plays ready back to back.  Never works from no huddle with at the line play calls   (This criticism could be more on DaBoll ). 

Overall = D  Given his performance today, and that of the offense in general, we could have only won  today with great defense, good special teams, and some turnovers.  We got very good defense, poor kicking, and no turnovers so we fell short. 

Note:  I am a Josh Allen fan, and I am pulling for him.  I just am seeing him more clearly after a full season of games over the past two seasons.  He still has a lot to learn, and he needs more help from the coaches and better players around him. 

You might want to check the accuracy of your medium passes because I'm sure that's not correct.

33 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

This whole thing basically shows that it was a great play call but the pass was tipped.  Is that what you were trying to say?

The 1st down play could have been a TD if it wasn't tipped. The top one, apparently from what John Brown said, it was pre-determined the ball was coming to him on the third down play; which sucks because Cole was wide open...

33 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

The deep ball throws are frustrating on all sorts of levels. But its almost as if he's afraid to throw a catchable ball downfield.

This season its got to be pretty darn close to every deep throw of 35 yards or more where he overthrows the WR by 5+ yards.

Once or twice i'd say he was just over excited or misjudged it. But he misses by too much far too often for it not to be something systemically wrong he's doing with those throws.

Only thing that makes sense is that he's too concerned about throwing a pick or something. And thats either from coaching or just whats going on inside his head.

But yes, we could use another wr like we could use upgrades at other positions too. And Daboll hasn't been perfect either, but truth is there are wr's open all the time that Allen just doesn't see or he chooses not to throw to. So i'm not one to blame the scheme or Daboll. Its just a matter of dealing with the growing pains with the rawest QB from his draft thats still learning. Even with all that, Allen still put us in a position to win the game & with that, there's still hope.

I'm not ready to call him a bust or anything like that yet

He's not giving receivers a chance to make a play on the ball. What good is having a cannon if you can't hit the wall?

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You might want to check the accuracy of your medium passes because I'm sure that's not correct.

Everything else seems right on point though 

3 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

that is hard to watch, Beasley wide open 

Thats a complete pass to Brown's back shoulder if read right by JB

They've hooked up on 2 of these this season prior.

Beasely was open true but which # read was he? Neither of us know.

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

see above

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

thats true and DE comes unblocked off the edge so JA isnt making it to his 2nd read anyway. I just would have liked to see a higher percentage pass play there and better clock management  of course.

I think its pretty apparent there are those on this board who just dislike Allen and thus, for each loss, make him the scapegoat.  It gets pretty old because there is no objectivness to their posts. Some are actually good posters in other areas, but their disdain for the qb clouds their overall outlook. And look, im not saying the kid is blameless,  he isnt. However for the aforementioned posters - anything short of him floating down to the 50 in a superman getup and single handedly putting up 50pts with one throw means its time to get a new qb. I like this grade bc it takes into account the terrible positions he was put in by his OC. When asked to execute,  aside from the deep balls - he pretty much did. Hes the QB so i understand WHY he gets the blame for the D letdown, the missed kicks, and the loss as a whole but this agenda stuff to make the 2nd yr qb the scapegoat is getting REALLY old. Ill never understand if these people are actually fans or just like to half pay attention so they have something to complain about. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

thats true and DE comes unblocked off the edge so JA isnt making it to his 2nd read anyway. I just would have liked to see a higher percentage pass play there and better clock management  of course.

and i could be wrong but the Browns blitz on that play 3 guys in JA face quickly. Maybe if he recognizes blitz pre snap he could have audibled  to Beasley on hot route and took the quick easy completion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

On a positive note I am quite impressed with the 20 yard lasers today.  He made some great throws but seems like playcalling was a big issue when it counted. 

He actually played well today.  If we win he gets game ball.  Not sure who watches the games 

I can not say that.  He left plays on the field.  He didn't do enough.  He knows it.  That doesn't mean he didn't make some good plays, but he didn't play well.

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

Is that because he's not reading the blitzer? Teams run this same blitz against him weekly and he never recognize it.

could be a read, could be a protection adjustment that takes care of it. Could have built in Hots (including a go route by JB). Thats what I perceived... but then that JB never felt the need to break off to a back shoulder and Allen did, due to the db staying over. Hard to see w/o being on the team.

9 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I think its pretty apparent there are those on this board who just dislike Allen and thus, for each loss, make him the scapegoat.  It gets pretty old because there is no objectivness to their posts. Some are actually good posters in other areas, but their disdain for the qb clouds their overall outlook. And look, im not saying the kid is blameless,  he isnt. However for the aforementioned posters - anything short of him floating down to the 50 in a superman getup and single handedly putting up 50pts with one throw means its time to get a new qb. I like this grade bc it takes into account the terrible positions he was put in by his OC. When asked to execute,  aside from the deep balls - he pretty much did. Hes the QB so i understand WHY he gets the blame for the D letdown, the missed kicks, and the loss as a whole but this agenda stuff to make the 2nd yr qb the scapegoat is getting REALLY old. Ill never understand if these people are actually fans or just like to half pay attention so they have something to complain about. 

Why are you using 50 points?  Consistently getting 20 would be a first step.