Jump to content
HomeskillitMoorman

McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

Recommended Posts

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

 

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

 

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

  • Like (+1) 15
  • Meh 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

Edited by Bills Juggernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McD needs to go back to his Carolina roots and look at how Rivera coached when the Panthers were looking mediocre... there is a reason he started getting called Riverboat Ron that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

And you would have complained had they gone for it on 4th and missed. Kickers are paid to make kicks...it is what it is

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McD is HORRIBLE at game management. What in the world was he thinking in that train wreck of a final series? (Not to mention calling find out on defense only to all a 30 yard play anyway.)

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

 

It really doesn’t even have to do anything with “old school”. It’s just dumb school. I have never seen a good coach readily give up a shot to win like that, ever.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDermott showed me who he was 2 years ago, when he elected to punt in the snow game against Indy. If it wasn’t for a miracle, he would’ve been happy with a tie.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zevo said:

And you would have complained had they gone for it on 4th and missed. Kickers are paid to make kicks...it is what it is

 

That was the right call if you missed on fourth down then we lose anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zevo said:

And you would have complained had they gone for it on 4th and missed. Kickers are paid to make kicks...it is what it is

Thanks for saying something I didn't say. I agree with the choice to kick it. It was before that, after the Singletary catch. They let the clock run down instead of trying to push the ball down the field. Once they let the clock keep running, they put themselves in a situation were there was no choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet instead of kicking some FGs he goes for it... it's like he always does the opposite of what should be done. He definitely needs to take his thumb out of his butt and let those balls drop...Then he can take the next step to very good coach

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McBean said:

McDermott showed me who he was 2 years ago, when he elected to punt in the snow game against Indy. If it wasn’t for a miracle, he would’ve been happy with a tie.

Coaching scared 101. Sean McDermott.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

McD is HORRIBLE at game management. What in the world was he thinking in that train wreck of a final series? (Not to mention calling find out on defense only to all a 30 yard play anyway.)

 

 

 

..shall we give honorable mention to Dabumble with his TWELVE rushes?.....OC wizardry......

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sure look like singletary got out of bounds but than Huddling after that was a disaster get up to line and run quick plays.  Dabol play calling has me scratching my head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jauron ball baby!

 

 

 

....Dopey Dickie Jauron II......great....ad nauseam......should go far......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching scared 101. Sean McDermott.

McD needs to get more involved with what is going on with the offense.  I think he has been hands off but when an end of game train wreck like this happens he needs to get his hands dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

McD needs to get more involved with what is going on with the offense.  I think he has been hands off but when an end of game train wreck like this happens he needs to get his hands dirty.

He has his hands dirty... he has his thumb up his @$$

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McBean said:

McDermott showed me who he was 2 years ago, when he elected to punt in the snow game against Indy. If it wasn’t for a miracle, he would’ve been happy with a tie.

 

Yep, I've been off the McDermott wagon since that moment. He had some red flags before that too. Obviously since then he has shown it again and again and again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jauron ball baby!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...