McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

Edited by Bills Juggernaut

1 minute ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

And you would have complained had they gone for it on 4th and missed. Kickers are paid to make kicks...it is what it is

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

It really doesn’t even have to do anything with “old school”. It’s just dumb school. I have never seen a good coach readily give up a shot to win like that, ever.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, zevo said:

And you would have complained had they gone for it on 4th and missed. Kickers are paid to make kicks...it is what it is

Thanks for saying something I didn't say. I agree with the choice to kick it. It was before that, after the Singletary catch. They let the clock run down instead of trying to push the ball down the field. Once they let the clock keep running, they put themselves in a situation were there was no choice. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

McD is HORRIBLE at game management. What in the world was he thinking in that train wreck of a final series? (Not to mention calling find out on defense only to all a 30 yard play anyway.)

..shall we give honorable mention to Dabumble with his TWELVE rushes?.....OC wizardry......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]
4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching scared 101. Sean McDermott.

McD needs to get more involved with what is going on with the offense.  I think he has been hands off but when an end of game train wreck like this happens he needs to get his hands dirty.