Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HomeskillitMoorman

McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

Recommended Posts

Love this board but gotta question my thread title being edited from Dick Jauron Jr to McDermott.

 

Does that mean any thread created that compares a player or coach to another is automatically edited or it’s by chance on if a Mod agrees with it or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

 

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

 

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

Don’t turn the ball over. Sit on leads. Don’t be aggressive offensively or have a sense of urgency because that risks turning the ball over. McDermott coaching 101.👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Right call. Wrong kicker.

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

McDermott might be just another good DC who might not be a solid HC

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

 

1000000000% disagree. 4th and 4 with a 52 yard field goal in favorable conditions with 20 seconds left to tie the game, you need a kicker who will nail it more times than not. You can argue all day that with our kicker being 0 for this season from 50+ that it was a bad call and I would even agree with that but thats why I said it was thr right call but with the wrong kicker which overall makes it a BAD CALL cause you need to understand who your kicker is. And again if you cant trust your kicker in that situation then he needs to be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little post game reaction for you all. I see a lot of people already come out and put this game on Josh Allen mostly because all credit and all blame tend to go to the QB no matter what but  bills fans  I don’t think are looking completely in the right direction. It doesn’t mean Allen was perfect he missed that deep ball, and one other very makeable throw as I recall it. But the real problem is how easy it is to single out those plays, Every QB in every game misses throws, The difference, other QBs are granted opportunities to make up for that.

Sean McDermott actively coaches to not lose games as opposed to winning them, Routinely getting conservative with any lead whatsoever, or even a score down in turn disrupting offensive rhythm. Down 19-16, in the final minutes is actually where Sean McDermott wants to be he wants games to hinge on 1 or 2 plays, And will take the safest route to get there. Take the final drive after moving the ball affectively to the 35, without a huddle, They huddle on offense and stop trying to move the ball because they figured they were close enough with a minute left.  OT hinged on one play just like McDermott wanted it, and this time we didn’t get the bounce. Some fans will say we are a QB away from contention I say we need a coach who actively gives a QB the same chances others get. It’s just weird having Dick Jauron again

Edited by cgg716
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

 

1000000000% disagree. 4th and 4 with a 52 yard field goal in favorable conditions with 20 seconds left to tie the game, you need a kicker who will nail it more times than not. You can argue all day that with our kicker being 0 for this season from 50+ that it was a bad call and I would even agree with that but thats why I said it was thr right call but with the wrong kicker which overall makes it a BAD CALL cause you need to understand who your kicker is. And again if you cant trust your kicker in that situation then he needs to be replaced.

It was 4th and 4 with 20 seconds because they huddled and played for the FG. Terrible call by either Daboll and/or McDermott. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Starting to lose confidence in McD and Josh. Huddling with 40 seconds left was an embarrassment. 

Pegula made a mistake handing the keys over to McDermott, and McDermott in turn made a mistake insisting on a "big hands /Buffalo weather" QB when he could have selected Mahomes, Watson or Jackson. Now as Bills fans we will suffer the consequences of those errant decisions for at least another 1.5 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It was 4th and 4 with 20 seconds because they huddled and played for the FG. Terrible call by either Daboll and/or McDermott. 

the idiot HC had a timeout left.Or wasn't he aware?

Absolutley zero urgency in attempting too win an NFL game.

Bush league coaching. That describes the final,drive. imo

  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

 

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

 

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

Thats why mcd and frazier go hand and hand..both play very very safe and it is starting to be our weakness....as far as dabol he is entirely on the other end of the spectrum and is gun happy and thinks we have the greatest show on turf 2.0 lol...maybe the coaching isnt as good as advertised in all facets of the game?...🤔🤔🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree completely. McD and Daboll took the ball out of Allen’s hands once they got their last first down. He was on the good side of the 50 in less than a minute and getting chunk plays. Then our amazing OC started getting conservative. It’s infuriating. He needs to go. I just can’t take any more of him. 
 

And I agree about McD. As much as I don’t want to admit it. He’s a great motivator, but doesn’t have a killer instinct as a coach. I’m sure he was overjoyed when he got the lead and his precious defense had a chance to put it away. Then they lost the lead and he was playing for OT. The problem was that our qb was moving the ball and was in a spot to win it. McD then panicked and kept to his strategy of playing for OT. He just can’t adjust to certain situations. It’s becoming an issue. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a similar thread about this kind of BS.  If Mc D were Jauron the bills would be 1-8.  McD's biggest issue is Dabol. 

Edited by Azucho98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This HC plays not lose,  even how we defended in Browns last drive,  he has White playing 10 yards off the line with no blitzing and forcing Baker to make a quick decision

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Best Player Available said:

the idiot HC had a timeout left.Or wasn't he aware?

Absolutley zero urgency in attempting too win an NFL game.

Bush league coaching. That describes the final,drive. imo

Couldn’t agree more. McDermott got out coached by Freddie Kitchens. Let that sink in. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

I think there is a similar thread about this kind of BS.  If Mc D were Jauron the bills would be 1-8.

BS?  The truth is BS?  Ok dude...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

sure look like singletary got out of bounds but than Huddling after that was a disaster get up to line and run quick plays.  Dabol play calling has me scratching my head

Singletary did not get out of bounds. He was tackled inbounds and slid out.

 

The Bills should have called time out after that, but they chose to let the clock run.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Pegula made a mistake handing the keys over to McDermott, and McDermott in turn made a mistake insisting on a "big hands /Buffalo weather" QB when he could have selected Mahomes, Watson or Jackson. Now as Bills fans we will suffer the consequences of those errant decisions for at least another 1.5 seasons.

i think we need a different offensive coordinator first before we burn the whole thing down lol..maybe even a defensive coordinator too as the bend but don't break and the side of the ball we hang our hats on got embarrassed and marched right down the field on...and its not the players who let it happen it was the defensive play-calling and playing way to soft on the back end...bring them lb'ers and safeties up a bit more than 20 yards off the los wtf..at least on the last drive i mean its do or die!!...where is this teams killer instinct?...this loss is on coaching in every facet imo

Edited by Billever76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Thanks for saying something I didn't say. I agree with the choice to kick it. It was before that, after the Singletary catch. They let the clock run down instead of trying to push the ball down the field. Once they let the clock keep running, they put themselves in a situation were there was no choice. 

 

But was that on the coaching or on Allen for not moving faster. And in Allen's case simple lack of experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A little post game reaction for you all. I see a lot of people already come out and put this game on Josh Allen mostly because all credit and all blame tend to go to the QB no matter what

I actually see quite the opposite. I see FAR MORE posts blaming everyone BUT Allen. 

 

This was a team loss, but Allen is not playing well enough as an NFL QB. Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McConservative was just out coached by the worst Coach in the league. 
 

in a few weeks we will hear the It’s the NFL it’s hard to win (Dicky J catch phrase) followed by the Process ambiguity crap (McConservative catch Phrase)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

BS?  The truth is BS?  Ok dude...

Your opinion is the "truth"?? LOL whatever bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t turn the ball over. Sit on leads. Don’t be aggressive offensively or have a sense of urgency because that risks turning the ball over. McDermott coaching 101.👍🏻

You had me until don't be aggressive offensively..umm we are too aggressive offensively...i think you meant defensively then i can agree..its a severe weakness of frazier

Edited by Billever76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

I'm in the Allen not being good enough camp but I take your point about mcdermott at times. Is Allen great with a mcvay type coach? I don't know. With a record like 6-3 he isn't going anywhere though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Azucho98 said:

Your opinion is the "truth"?? LOL whatever bro

First...I’m not your “bro”. Second...it’s not BS at all. McD is way too conservative. He’s on his third season of proof for that “opinion”. Keep being you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...