Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
plenzmd1

Weekend Rules-Power Lawn Tools

Recommended Posts

Sitting here nervous as hell about this Browns game today. Already taken the dogs for a run, and now want to go out and clean the front yard of leaves. I have two pretty large maples and really have to use a blower. But neighborhood "norms here are no power equipment before 9 am Saturday and Noon on Sunday. I am in a typical suburban cul de sac, 1/2 acre lots , so not right on top of each other but certainly close.

 

Y'all have the same type of restrictions? Should i just say eff it..it's a Bills Sunday so deal with it?

 

I mean people put their damn yappy dogs out there at 7 am to bark at every freaking squil and runner that goes by..how is that any different?

 

(btw, i have dogs that do that too!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my home is on the borderline between old rich and slums

 

when it was local election time i got pamphlets talking about:

 

1)  leaf blower noise in early hours on weekends;  or

 

2)  crackhead crime and attempts to stop people from kidnapping children and stuffing them into mason jars

 

 

then the Provincial Government merged the two a few years ago, the rich folk won.

 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just go out and do it. If someone complains, say you thought it was 9am both weekend days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have any such regulations.  I probably wouldn't start before 9am.  Noon on Sundays???  Eff that.  Tell them to go to church if they don't want to hear it.

 

However, I get more selfish with the snow.  I'll snowblow at 11pm if it makes sense (i.e. - the plows just went by; I'd rather not let that crap sit at the end of my driveway until morning, as it will be A LOT harder to get out of there); and I'll also snowblow at 6am out of necessity.

 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Just go out and do it. If someone complains, say you thought it was 9am both weekend days. 

This.  

 

I might wait until 10. Sometimes I go outside and listen.  If I hear power tools in the distance, then I’m good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My rule is 9 on Saturdays and 9:30 on Sunday. I figure most people will be at church and the one's that aren't are lazy bumbs and should be awake anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sitting here nervous as hell about this Browns game today. Already taken the dogs for a run, and now want to go out and clean the front yard of leaves. I have two pretty large maples and really have to use a blower. But neighborhood "norms here are no power equipment before 9 am Saturday and Noon on Sunday. I am in a typical suburban cul de sac, 1/2 acre lots , so not right on top of each other but certainly close.

 

Y'all have the same type of restrictions? Should i just say eff it..it's a Bills Sunday so deal with it?

 

I mean people put their damn yappy dogs out there at 7 am to bark at every freaking squil and runner that goes by..how is that any different?

 

(btw, i have dogs that do that too!!)

Noon is BS.  Blow away.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a suburban neighborhood but got fortunate as when we moved in 2 years ago the town took down the stick they had on our front lawn because it wasn't a healthy tree per them. Then about a year ago the neighbor to the right of us had his big tree come down. Our back is pretty much tree free too so I have little lawn work to do nowadays though the back could use another cut before the 4 lettered S word starts but eh I've already reassembled my garage for winter time so I'll have to wait until next season.

 

Yet I agree with 9:00 am is a far time to start the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9AM on weekend days is normally my rule.  Then again, my one neighbor is white trash, and if I know they are at home(and probably sleeping), I will get the gas weed whacker out first, and start trimming the areas closest to their property first...8-830. 😈

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have an older retired couple next to me, quiet as you'd want, they have no dogs, until.....

 

Snowfall. Out there at 4:30-5:00 a.m. with a 2 stroke snow shovel for any measurable snowfall.

 

Those things are louder than most gas powered yard tools you'll hear in a neighborhood.

 

Then when they're finished, they go back in the house for the day with nowhere pressing to go.

 

They wake up the whole cul de sac. They also leave out their pink flamingos year round.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

They also leave out their pink flamingos, last count 8, year round.

Waiting for the flamingos to fly south on their own?  Minds can get muddled with advanced age.

 

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gugny said:

We don't have any such regulations.  I probably wouldn't start before 9am.  Noon on Sundays???  Eff that.  Tell them to go to church if they don't want to hear it.

 

However, I get more selfish with the snow.  I'll snowblow at 11pm if it makes sense (i.e. - the plows just went by; I'd rather not let that crap sit at the end of my driveway until morning, as it will be A LOT harder to get out of there); and I'll also snowblow at 6am out of necessity.

 

 

If any neighborhood tries to limit the time where you can snow blow, they're losing that fight.  That 6am snow blow (or probably even earlier) was a right of passage in my house growing up.  People have these things called jobs.  Kids have to get to school.  If anyone's trying to restrict that, are they also complaining about the sound that the plows make when they clear out the streets at just about any hour during the middle of the night?

 

The only norm in my neighborhood is to put your dog outside at 6am and then ignore him as he barks his head off for hours.  I was so looking forward to fall hitting here so that I could open my windows and turn off the AC.  Oops, forgot about the new dog two houses down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gugny said:

We don't have any such regulations.  I probably wouldn't start before 9am.  Noon on Sundays???  Eff that.  Tell them to go to church if they don't want to hear it.

 

However, I get more selfish with the snow.  I'll snowblow at 11pm if it makes sense (i.e. - the plows just went by; I'd rather not let that crap sit at the end of my driveway until morning, as it will be A LOT harder to get out of there); and I'll also snowblow at 6am out of necessity.

 

Bingo!

 

Exactly... I totally agree. It's called living in the real world where people work.

 

I work swing shift... I have to open garage door, come and go at various hour... Shovel.  I don't have a snowblower because my we don't get enough snow a year... Maybe 40" on average... But I will quietly shovel my neighbors say at 2 in morning.  They have snowblowers and will use them when we get bigger storms.  They will snowblow my driveway.  I keep mixed fuel on hand... Even if I am working nights, who the hell in their right mind will complain if they are snowblowing and someone is sleeping because they work nights!

 

Sounds like @plenzmd1 lives in "Pleasantville."

looking-back-at-pleasantville-20-years-l

Have an or gasm and start colorizing life.  Disturbia sucks.

 

Leafs are a limited, finite commodity.  Deal with it, they will be home soon enough... Who cares about the noise.  Who wants to be shoveling frozen maple leaves up the impending snow.  Even worse huge sycamore leaves. Oaks, I can deal with, thet fall all year.  Anyway, can't have them freeze in gutters.

 

People need to get a grip.  I hear there are towns out there that ban clotheslines.

 

BTW... I live right in town.  People have been dealing with noise since 1896.

 

Just be respectful.  Mowing grass is very gratuitous.  That's done during daylight hours.

 

Snow removal, leaf tending... Is a necessity just like coming in through your garage door, running/warming up a vehicle, etc... At any hour...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Noon is BS.  Blow away.

 

I thought you were anti-blow.  Pro-suck?

 

Anyway... Blowers just blow their problems, leaves and detritus for other people to handle.

 

FWIW... I use my loud as hell, 20 year old two-stroke to suck. I vacuum and mulch 20:1 and take care of the problem once and for all.  

 

Deal with it neighbors... The leafs will be gone soon enough and there will be peace and quiet in the valley... Still the snow flies.

 

I named my leaf blower-vac after the Sponge Bob episode: "Reef Blower" 😂 

 

 

Sounds like @plenzmd1 lives around a lot of Squidwards?

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

my home is on the borderline between old rich and slums

 

when it was local election time i got pamphlets talking about:

 

1)  leaf blower noise in early hours on weekends;  or

 

2)  crackhead crime and attempts to stop people from kidnapping children and stuffing them into mason jars

 

 

then the Provincial Government merged the two a few years ago, the rich folk won.

 

LoL... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

This.  

 

I might wait until 10. Sometimes I go outside and listen.  If I hear power tools in the distance, then I’m good to go. 

Sunrise to sunset sounds fair enough.

 

Unless it's a snowblower or leafblower.  Leafblower... Can use during twilight since leaves are a finite commodity.  They will drop and be done soon enough.

 

Snowblower... Anytime anywhere the snow flies.  Do people whine when the plow is coming down the street at all hours creating noise.  How the heck you gonna blast through the plow line that the plow leaves behind at 1 in the morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my area, starting the equipment early is no big deal because the farmers are out with the equipment in the fields.  

 

On the other hand, mowing the lawn at 9pm during the summer is not something warmly received.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Have an older retired couple next to me, quiet as you'd want, they have no dogs, until.....

 

Snowfall. Out there at 4:30-5:00 a.m. with a 2 stroke snow shovel for any measurable snowfall.

 

Those things are louder than most gas powered yard tools you'll hear in a neighborhood.

 

Then when they're finished, they go back in the house for the day with nowhere pressing to go.

 

They wake up the whole cul de sac. They also leave out their pink flamingos year round.


My parents had a neighbor who lived next door when we were growing up that did this. Everyone on the street called her "Bobcia" (I have no idea what her real last name was) and she was at least 75 years old (she died when she was in her upper 90s, long after I moved out). She scraped that driveway down to cement and took it as a personal affront when a new snowflake tried to land on her freshly cleared driveway. 

The upside I was never late for school when it snowed. Who knew metal shovel scratching along a cement driveway could be such an good alarm clock?

 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sunrise to sunset sounds fair enough.

 

Unless it's a snowblower or leafblower.  Leafblower... Can use during twilight since leaves are a finite commodity.  They will drop and be done soon enough.

 

Snowblower... Anytime anywhere the snow flies.  Do people whine when the plow is coming down the street at all hours creating noise.  How the heck you gonna blast through the plow line that the plow leaves behind at 1 in the morning?

Snowblower is different.  I used to leave for work as early as 5 am.  I used to run the snowblower as early as 430 am.  I got a sick pleasure thinking about my neighbors being annoyed by hearing it.  Hearing it is not as annoying as being out there using it!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Snowblower is different.  I used to leave for work as early as 5 am.  I used to run the snowblower as early as 430 am.  I got a sick pleasure thinking about my neighbors being annoyed by hearing it.  Hearing it is not as annoying as being out there using it!

It's because a snowblower, shoveling, plowing is actually serving a form functional, non-gratuitous purpose.  

 

I still here my old man in my head: "Get your azz out there and clear the snow... Before I get a heart attack and ambulance gets stuck in driveway!"

 

LoL...

 

"Dad... I think they will need a sled!"

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...