Jerry Hughes - $14 Mil - Why

Socal-805

18 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

freaking A.   You don't HAVE to post to every thread on the board.  GO away.

TOTAL CASH:

2019 Player Cash Earnings $6,800,000 $6,300,000 $1,000,000 $150,000 - - - $14,250,000

John is a loyal diehard Bills fan that maybe wears a deep shade of rose glasses when it comes to the Bills. You look to be newish here, posts like this will make you unwelcome quickly. Don’t attack others, state your case , voice your opinion. Be nice, it takes the same energy.

Hughes this season is on the last year of his contract extension he signed in 2015 when he was coming off of back to back 10 sack seasons. Contracts in the NFL tend to be back loaded money wise. Despite his 14.5 million salary his cap hit for 2019 is 12.9 million still a bit overpaid for his production. But his cap hits the past 4 seasons were 6.17 million in 2015, 7.5 million in 2016, 10.4 million in 2017 and 10.4 million in 2018. So the Bills are in 2019 essentially paying for Hughes cheaper contract numbers early in his deal. 

His cap hits in 2020 and 2021 are a modest 9.5 million each year with the ability to get out of his deal in 2021 at a low dead cap hit. The context of Hughes being paid his current number are the result of circumstances. Has he produced the sack totals the team wanted? No but his pressure numbers are good, he is stout against the run, and if you watch the games you know he is a factor. He should be a heavily productive rotation player the next 2 seasons at a fair cap number. He also has good value in the locker room. 

I do suspect this team does bring in a big time edge rusher via free agency to get Hughes down to being the 2nd best pass rusher (a role he is better suited for) and the team has both the cap room to do so in a free agent class that boasts a lot of options as far as edge rushers go. 

Edited by billsfan89

It’s the nature of the business that is professional sports. Every team has players both over and under paid up and down the roster. It’s impossible to line things up any more accurately when you’re signing contracts BEFORE performance. I guess they could all play for minimum wage throughout the season and then sit down with management after the final game to ‘settle accounts’ ....but it’s hard to imagine the Players Union agreeing to $10 per hour! ?

I had to say this on the Ed Oliver thread, but will have to repeat on this one.  Please subscribe to The Athletic before complaining about a player and then go check out the All-22 video analysis after each game.  JoeB does a game analysis and then has cumulative grades across all the games.  Jerry Hughes is the #3 ranked player on the team (offense and defense) in this analysis.  Higher than Milano, Poyer, Hyde or Edmunds.  He's 0.01 points behind Tre'Davious White in the grading system.  In this analysis JoeB looks at every play and grades every player on each play.  I think that analysis deserves more weight than our fly-by thoughts from watching on TV or in-person.

• Like (+1) 2

He may not rack up a ton of sacks but he routinely provides pressure. He might be having a bit of a down year but clearly they think he can still be effective.

Also, and I've said this before, some players are here for more than just their on field performance. Hughes is one of those guys. He may not have a C on his jersey but he's a locker room OG, he's a guy that other guys can go to for advice and he's a guy that can communicate with coaches to give them a read on the locker room. This staff also loves his energy, his work ethic, and his approach. They want guys like him on this team so younger players can see how this staff wants things done. 

On top of that, McDermott's defenses, save for a season or two in Carolina when they had some beasts up front on the DL, have never been the type of defenses that rack up crazy sack numbers. They consistently rush four and they don't do a whole lot of blitzing, stunts or other types of disguises to create pressure. They depend on their guy beating the guy across from them. 

I get it, people wanna criticize the team. People find concerns and come here to voice them, as silly as some of them seem. But they're 6-2... I'm really not that concerned if they don't have a pair of edge rushers with 15 sacks apiece already. These guys also have specific assignments from play to play. They aren't told to go get the QB on every single play. They have gap assignments, edge responsibility, etc. But for some people here, if they aren't seeing astronomical numbers and stats from some of these guys then they're crap. "He only gots 4 sacks, he crap! The other dude make too much money and he only got two sacks, he crap! He's stealin' money from MAH POCKET with his under-performing ways and DANGNABBIT I am gonna piss and moan like an impotent jerk all over this board!" Yeesh.

Yeah, I admit it'd be nice to get a bit more out of the pass rush but as it stands, they're middle of the league in terms of sacks/pressures right now so that's not really a major concern. Run defense was shaky to start yesterday but definitely shut things down in the second half. That'd be my main concern for the defense, continuing to stop the run. 

I believe most of us fans agree the DL has not played as well as we would of wished for.

An effective DL has to work as a team and things seem a little out of balance.

I'm thinking that the loss of Kyle Williams with his knowledge, leadership and consistent play has affected things a lot

more than I would have thought.

There should be a few new players on the DL next year and let's hope they can get it together a little more this year.

3 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

many of you including the OP are forgetting you all have no idea what is being asked of them on any given play. Yes, a DE's job is to create pressure and get sacks but if he is getting asked to fill a gap or seal an edge his job isn't to go full tilt towards the QB. In obvious pass plays, yes he is probably being told to do that, but unless you are right there in the coaches and player meetings none of us know for certain what his job is each play.

Well.  I pretty much know for certain the Bills are getting very little out of either D end position in terms of QB pressure.  And I'm pretty sure they are worked in the running game.

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Hughes this season is on the last year of his contract extension he signed in 2015 when he was coming off of back to back 10 sack seasons. Contracts in the NFL tend to be back loaded money wise. Despite his 14.5 million salary his cap hit for 2019 is 12.9 million still a bit overpaid for his production. But his cap hits the past 4 seasons were 6.17 million in 2015, 7.5 million in 2016, 10.4 million in 2017 and 10.4 million in 2018. So the Bills are in 2019 essentially paying for Hughes cheaper contract numbers early in his deal. 

His cap hits in 2020 and 2021 are a modest 9.5 million each year with the ability to get out of his deal in 2021 at a low dead cap hit. The context of Hughes being paid his current number are the result of circumstances. Has he produced the sack totals the team wanted? No but his pressure numbers are good, he is stout against the run, and if you watch the games you know he is a factor. He should be a heavily productive rotation player the next 2 seasons at a fair cap number. He also has good value in the locker room. 

Thanks for the breakdown. 

I see the Pats year after year drop players a year before they stop producing or having impact:  Hughes is already pretty old, and getting older.

BAD thread I guess.  I like to play G.M.  

Also, FWIW:  I keep hearing about the Bills being a "young" team  They are not:  they are like 26 oldest team in NFL.

3 minutes ago, cage said:

I had to say this on the Ed Oliver thread, but will have to repeat on this one.  Please subscribe to The Athletic before complaining about a player and then go check out the All-22 video analysis after each game.  JoeB does a game analysis and then has cumulative grades across all the games.  Jerry Hughes is the #3 ranked player on the team (offense and defense) in this analysis.  Higher than Milano, Poyer, Hyde or Edmunds.  He's 0.01 points behind Tre'Davious White in the grading system.  In this analysis JoeB looks at every play and grades every player on each play.  I think that analysis deserves more weight than our fly-by thoughts from watching on TV or in-person.

Hughes is a good all around Defensive End, thats why he is rated highly by people who look at more than sack numbers.  In terms of sacks, he has always been average numbers wise when he wasnt playing with a #1 pass rusher.   When Williams was here he put up double digit numbers, when Williams was done, Hughes' sack numbers declined.

He deserved the money for his all around play.   Probably a top 15 all around player as his position.   It would be great for the Bills to get an Elite pass rusher but when you're arent picking in the top five of the draft you dont often get one.  

• Like (+1) 1

As many upthread have also already inferred, I find myself caring less and less about the per season take of our current roster, given the total amount of cushion Beane & Co have built into our salary cap since last year--almost an embarrassment of riches where I wonder how on earth we will be able to even spend up to the mandatory levels required by the league? Hey, down marker holder guy, yah, you over there, here's a cool 150K from Terry, for the quality of the enthusiasm you bring every day...:P  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Who would you like to sign right now?

The discussion isn't about who to sign, I'm pretty sure the discussion was about Hughes being mostly invisible and not worth 14 million this season.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Did you think he was invisible on the field last season?

What does last season have to to with this season??  

How many times do we see Hughes have a clean shot at a QB sack and he flat out whiffs and doesn't get the QB down?  

Watch Fitzpatrick's running TD against us - who whiffed on the sack?  This is just one example - I'm pretty sure he had another whiff against Washington.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

What does last season have to to with this season??  

How many times do we see Hughes have a clean shot at a QB sack and he flat out whiffs and doesn't get the QB down?  

Watch Fitzpatrick's running TD against us - who whiffed on the sack?  This is just one example - I'm pretty sure he had another whiff against Washington.  

He's been doing it for a few years. 

He's pretty good vs the run, though.

1 hour ago, Socal-805 said:

I just looked at SPOTRAC for Hughes contract: $14 MIL this year?  I am reading this correctly?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

WHY are the Bills paying Jerry Hughes $14 mil this year?!?  He's basically invisible that I can tell.

• 1. Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald: $22.5 million
  • 2. Cowboys defensive lineman Demarcus Lawrence: $21 million
  • 3. Chiefs defensive lineman Frank Clark: $20.8 million
  • 4. Lions defensive lineman Trey Flowers: $18 million
  • 5. Saints defensive lineman Cameron Jordan: $17.5 million  
  • 6. 49ers defensive lineman Dee Ford: $17 million 
  • 7. Browns defensive lineman Olivier Vernon: $17 million    
  • 8. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox: $17 million
  • 9. Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett: $17 million
  • 10. Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt: $16.7 million

He may be the most overpaid D lineman in the league?

One of the most amazing truths about Buffalo fans is how we seem to think that the salaries paid to the players on our professional sports' teams are dollars we might otherwise have available for our personal spending.  Let's look at our defense with the exception of the game against the Eagles and then consider who the veteran leaders are … mmmm Jerry Hughes seems to be both an active on field leader and a locker room leader.  Salaries are based on past performance, which is something that will never change but teams are willing to pay leaders for their total impact on the team.  Being concerned about individual statistics rather than team or unit performance seems to be a fantasy league consideration but not someone who is truly is concerned with W's and L's.   If the team makes the playoffs then of course we'd want to celebrate individual achievements but at the end of the day I don't care about individual numbers if the W column finds us in the playoffs.  Such a ridiculous post … 

Je

1 hour ago, Socal-805 said:

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He's been doing it for a few years. 

He's pretty good vs the run, though.

I guess we should be happy he is getting pressure....but if the QB gets away and nobody there to contain.... the QB runs and runs and runs like Fitz did (and scored).