Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

I don't post often but I feel like everyone's clamoring for Daboll's play calling is so bipolar.  On the second series from first and goal we went backwards because he was too cute.  So we settled for a field goal.  Then on the third series of first and goal we run it right up the middle and get stuffed 3 times in a row.  Everyone whines that it was horrible play calling.  I am pretty sure McDermott has a say in a bit of that.  Also I have to imagine that the coaches want our team to impose our will on other teams.  Like how Philly did it to us.  McDermott always talks about establishing the line of scrimmage.  Also Frank Gore ran right up the middle against the Pat's defense just fine.  I put way less into play calling and more into execution.  When we went for it on 4th and 1 and got stuffed did anyone watch Mitch Morse get blown back into Gore?  That is hardly Gore's fault or the play call.  That is getting owned by the other player not he other line of scrimmage.  

The first and goal where we went backwards was on Allen not the play calling. The play call was fine. The DB read it well that happens. Instead of trying to force the play by running around Allen should have thrown it out of the end zone. The next play we could have run it or tried anything else still from the 2 yard line. There are some times where the best play is to waste the play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Gotta check out some of the Twitter responses to Baker Mayfield after the game! Priceless!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield-looked-defeated-sad-broncos-loss-mustache-social-media-reaction-twitter-jokes-021137067.html

Baker.JPG

Awesome. This one might be my favorite:

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Also, I wish people would acknowledge that the Redskins defense is actually decent and possessing a pretty talented front seven (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, and Allen) along with Landon Collins. In the previous three games, they didn't allow the opponent to get 20 points, including on the road at Minnesota. 

The problem on those plays is that the DTs on Washington (Payne and Allen) have blue-chip level talent, and pretty much dominated the o-lineman they faced on those plays. Generally speaking, in the NFL the best line athletes play defense, and the worst ones play interior o-line. Mitch Morse is a good pass blocker, but in a low-man leverage competition against Da'Ron Payne, he is going to lose every time (which is what happened yesterday)--particularly on plays where Payne can sell out because he knows exactly what's coming (because the Bills short yardage playcalling is so predictable).

I was telling my brother all week that I doubt the Bills have or will have faced a better front all year. That’s a legit group. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok Nostradamus.

You're struggling, sir.

Nostradamus predicted the future. I’m not making any predictions. I just know that the Bills cannot beat teams with quality offenses like the Eagles, Patriots, Cowboys and Ravens with the offense performing as it has the first 8 games of the season. 

Bills could go 14-2 if the offense puts it together. We’ll see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Difference is Jauron lost....McD wins

McDermott wins against bad teams.  Not so much against good ones.   He's a significantly better coach and evaluator of talent than Jauron.  His assistants, however poor or mediocre they are, are better than Jauron's.  

The problem with Jauron ball -- which is sometimes called "small ball" in other places where they haven't had the misfortune to have Jauron coach their NFL team -- is that the conservative philosophy which emphasizes defense and low risk offense limits what a team can do.   In today's NFL, teams have to be able to score 3 or 4 TDs against most opponents if they want to be competitive with the big dogs in the league.  Moreover, they can't let up if they get up by 2 TDs because most quality teams have at least one -- and often several -- receivers (WRs and TEs) capable of scoring from any point on the field at any time.  Nothing says Jauron ball more than how conservative the play calling becomes after the Bills build up a lead.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You're struggling, sir.

Nostradamus predicted the future. I’m not making any predictions. I just know that the Bills cannot beat teams with quality offenses like the Eagles, Patriots, Cowboys and Ravens with the offense performing as it has the first 8 games of the season. 

Bills could go 14-2 if the offense puts it together. We’ll see what happens.

You know they can't beat teams they're playing in the next few weeks.  You know.  But you're not playing Nostradamus.

OK.

The Browns are still a talented team desperate for a win. They also can run the ball which makes them matchup well against the defense. Toss in the fact that this is an away game and I can easily see this being a down to the wire type game. Now a loss in Cleveland still leaves the Bills at 6-3 with 2 favored games and still leaves them on pace to go 10-6. But if you win in Cleveland you set yourself up to go 9-2 going into that horrid 4 game stretch (At Dallas, At NE, Ravens, and At Pitt.) So I think this game is not a must win but a win that the team really could and should get. 

As talented as the Browns are they are completely dysfunctional. They are poorly coached, coming apart at the seams, and they are not playing up to their talent level. If the Bills can gameplan to stop the run and use the teams secondary as a strength then they can game manage the offense into a close McD type win. 

19 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Whats your point?

My point - as you probably already know but you are trying to be cute...is that your were trying to make it seem like the magic 30 point threshold was met early and often yesterday and in the last weeks by the "good" teams" that have "shown" something and are "worth" their record...

My point is - 30 points is not met as often as you think....

32 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

The first and goal where we went backwards was on Allen not the play calling. The play call was fine. The DB read it well that happens. Instead of trying to force the play by running around Allen should have thrown it out of the end zone. The next play we could have run it or tried anything else still from the 2 yard line. There are some times where the best play is to waste the play.

yes! again, a lot ISN'T play calling, its execution (just like the players have been saying).

However, the third and 4th down and 1 play calling was uninspired, tried ramming gore right up their gut from power formation almost every short yardage situation. Be creative.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

For sure. But man, if they lose......doooooooooooomed

In what way? They will be 6-3 like the ravens, Chiefs, Texans and still in strong playoff contention. Browns will be 3-6 and still not going to the playoffs. The Bills season won’t be over and the Browns season won’t be saved.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You know they can't beat teams they're playing in the next few weeks.  You know.  But you're not playing Nostradamus.

OK.

Bills cannot perform the way they have at least the last three weeks and beat non-terrible teams.

That’s not a prediction. That’s simply reality.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TH3 said:

My point - as you probably already know but you are trying to be cute...is that your were trying to make it seem like the magic 30 point threshold was met early and often yesterday and in the last weeks by the "good" teams" that have "shown" something and are "worth" their record...

My point is - 30 points is not met as often as you think....

Offense is near the bottom of the league in most categories. Against a historically easy schedule.

But all is well because only 4 teams scored over 30 points this week.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Offense is near the bottom of the league in most categories. Against a historically easy schedule.

But all is well because only 4 teams scored over 30 points this week.

Six and Two 

Josh Allen   the past THREE games no INT's 

What is the team stat when Josh doesn't throw an INT ?     

pretty impressive IIRC 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1