Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

The most predictive stat of won/loss records in football is team passer rating differential. The Browns team passer rating is 71.2, and opponents collectively have a 103.6 passer rating against them.  -32.4 in that category is a huge number.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why shouldn't that be the standard for the Bills????   I'm sure that Belichick and Co have that standard for the Pats.   I'm sure that that's what Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Sean McVay, Frank Reich, and Doug Pedersen expect from their offenses?   Why do the Bills FO/HCs accept mediocrity as "good enough" -- and so many of their fans applaud them for it?  

There's a difference between expecting to score and doing it. Please point out which NFL teams score on every possession.

12 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Honestly think browns win this year. Chubb is averaging 5 yards a carry . 

Peterson averaged 6 against buffalo and they lost.  It doesn't correlate to anything.  Buffalo has the 19th ranked rush defense through 9 weeks. It's not like buffalo is historically bad there, or incapable of improvement either.

Henry had 78 yards on 20 carries.  Mixon had 60 on 15.  Bell 60 on 17 carries.  Barkley 107 on 18 carries.  Peterson 108 on 18 carries.  

They have had 1 really bad game against the run.  And they lost.  But Clevelands rush defense is actually worse than their rush offense is good.  That includes a game against a luke falk lead jets team that couldn't score any points.  

Edited by dneveu

53 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's Jauron ball, and it's been McDermott's style since he became HC. Play not to lose.  Don't take many chances and especially not big chances.   Daboll either shares McDermott's philosophy or has adapted to it.

That's a dumb take because I can point to plenty of instances where they are aggressive. In fact I'm kind of sick of them going for it on 4th and not taking the easy 3. They could have at least forced OT against the Pats if they kicked a FG on 4th and 2.

18 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Browns just cut their Safety Jermaine Whitehead after he twitted racist comments and death threats.

Keep the dysfunction alive! GO BILLS

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-cut-jermaine-whitehead-after-racist-twitter-rant-that-included-death-threats/ar-AAJOLu3?li=BBnbklE

I want us to take the Browns seriously and prepare well and BEAT THEM INTO A BROWN SMEAR but I gotta say they make it hard with this soap opera stuff.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Please keep up. The subject is the offense. It’s simply not good enough to win 11 or more games. An NFL offense scoring 30 points shouldn’t be as rare as a golden tiger sighting.

4 teams s cored 30 yesterday....so that means.....?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

It's Jauron ball, and it's been McDermott's style since he became HC. Play not to lose.  Don't take many chances and especially not big chances.   Daboll either shares McDermott's philosophy or has adapted to it.

Difference is Jauron lost....McD wins

4 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Gotta check out some of the Twitter responses to Baker Mayfield after the game! Priceless!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield-looked-defeated-sad-broncos-loss-mustache-social-media-reaction-twitter-jokes-021137067.html

Baker.JPG

Looks like he stumbled in from a tent city in San Francisco 

33 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Gotta check out some of the Twitter responses to Baker Mayfield after the game! Priceless!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield-looked-defeated-sad-broncos-loss-mustache-social-media-reaction-twitter-jokes-021137067.html

Baker.JPG

My favorite: 

I couldn't finish watching the presser.  Baker looked worse than Sam Darnold after the Pats game.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is the 3rd time this has been raised in new threads. Is it just too convenient to not watch the game and rip the Bills here?

Beasley’s TD. Describe it for me, please..

You know why it works? CUZ THEY DONT SHOW IT OFTEN.

TBH, I don't think Allen is very good at selling the play action yet.  He's better than some we've had but it's not his strong point.

Watching yesterday's game - LJax has a PhD in Playaction Salesmanship

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I don't think Allen is very good at selling the play action yet.  He's better than some we've had but it's not his strong point.

Watching yesterday's game - LJax has a PhD in Playaction Salesmanship

I do think he sold Singletary's rushing TD extremely well - best he's done all season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't post often but I feel like everyone's clamoring for Daboll's play calling is so bipolar.  On the second series from first and goal we went backwards because he was too cute.  So we settled for a field goal.  Then on the third series of first and goal we run it right up the middle and get stuffed 3 times in a row.  Everyone whines that it was horrible play calling.  I am pretty sure McDermott has a say in a bit of that.  Also I have to imagine that the coaches want our team to impose our will on other teams.  Like how Philly did it to us.  McDermott always talks about establishing the line of scrimmage.  Also Frank Gore ran right up the middle against the Pat's defense just fine.  I put way less into play calling and more into execution.  When we went for it on 4th and 1 and got stuffed did anyone watch Mitch Morse get blown back into Gore?  That is hardly Gore's fault or the play call.  That is getting owned by the other player not he other line of scrimmage.  

Also I put the failure in Philly on execution.  So many false starts, holding calls, missed reads, etc.  

I think Daboll is a good play caller.  I would take him over Gase or Kitchens any day of the week.  That being said I think the offense needs to get out of their own way with the mistakes.  This game against the Redskins was much better from a penalty stand point.  I am glad they are taking some deep shots.  Allen has been off target on a lot early.  I think the one vs Philly and the one vs Washington to Foster were both very catchable.  He needs to track the ball better.  when you only are getting one shot a game you need to make a play on the ball.

On defense my biggest concerns is Wallace.  Especially this week vs the Browns.  They have talent at the WR position.  No doubt they pick on Wallace like Philly did.  Also giving up another 100 yards rushing (in the first half) doesn't exactly exude confidence against the next few upcoming opponents with good running games. 

Last thought is most people before this season thought 9-7 or 10-6 season.  I don't know that I think this team has taken enough of a jump to beat that.  However the AFC teams have taken a dump so now it is expected that we beat that record.  Which I think is doable.  Maybe 11-5 or even 12-4 if they play big in a game or two.  That being said just because the AFC teams are crumbling doesn't mean my expectations of our talent or development of our talent has changed.  We still are a team developing.  I think Allen has made good progress this season.  I think he will continue to as well.  The 300 yard thing would be nice but only if the game dictated it.  We have been in control most games so why would we just go out and start throwing around?  Run the clock out.  If I recall all the second guesser fans out there were complaining a few weeks back when Daboll called three pass plays in a row and we took no time off the clock.  I believe it was the Miami game.  This is what I refer to as bipolar.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  In that game I am sure he thought our team should be able to stick it to them and because of execution we didn't.  People complained that we should have been running it.  So yea I do think these coaches do play aggressive enough.  We have gone for it a lot on 4th down this season.  More so than I can ever remember.

Bottom line I have no complaints.  We are doing as well as I had hoped for.  I hope we can keep it going.  Beat Browns, Denver, Miami, and Jets.  Maybe sneak out another win against Pittsburgh or Dallas.  Now if the Patriots start to get dismantled by other teams going forward then maybe I will get greedy for the division (lol).  But I never expected the division this season.  However after watching the improvement this season I do expect us to push for the division seriously next season.

• Like (+1) 12

1 minute ago, dakrider said:

I think this will be a very tough game.  Bills are walking into a wounded badger den. You can bet Cleveland will be desperate to win.  Best thing to do is get up on Browns early and keep pouring it on and let them turn on each other. 

the good news is that they have very little veteran leadership to help them right the ship and a coach that is confused as anyone in the organization. While this also applied to the Eagles you knew they had the ability to channel their energy properly. The Browns just seem to implode week after week. That said this is the NFL and you can take any team lightly. I know McD will have these guys preparing like its the Patriots.