Ty Nsekhe DNP all week with ankle injury

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

it would be very rare for a team to go into a game with the limited amount of active tackles they currently have too, wouldnt it? 

So, one of these things is gonna be rare, whether he plays or not (unless they for some reason put another tackle on the roster).

Ford will play RT.  Not ideal but he rotates in as it is. Don’t need him at RG.  Bates is depth.

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ford will play RT.  Not ideal but he rotates in as it is. Don’t need him at RG.  Bates is depth.

right, so two OTs active (Ford and Dawkins)....is also rare....

unless, as I suggested, they are confident that Ty can play, desipte not practicing all week (also rare) 

with, as you say, Bates is depth for the oline 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know what, Yolo, it seems like the Patriots game is costing this team a little bit more than just a loss in the standings.

Wouldn't that just be so tremendous if that game jeopardizes the Titans game...

dammit.

So what? Players get hurt every game..the Bills have not had anywhere close to the amount of serious injuries other teams have had since McDermott has been here...credit to his ovehaul of the strength and conditioning staff and their cutting edge methods to reduce injuries

Edited by matter2003

51 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know what, Yolo, it seems like the Patriots game is costing this team a little bit more than just a loss in the standings.

dammit.

expecting a bit letdown in prep and motivation this Sunday

not too much i hope

41 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

dammit.

Were you on the let's forfeit vs the PATs train?  If so then I guess you were right, but sorta irrational to specifically blame this injury to the PATs.

I will blame Josh Allen for not taking care of himself if he misses this game and Barkley plays poorly.

Im a bit confused and  apologies if this is in the wrong thread I wasn't sure where to put it...But Nsekhe hasn't practiced, Connor McDermott is released..our QB is in concussion protocol but more than a few people think THIS is the week they call up a WR (Duke Williams) from the practice squad?  what the heck? What am I missing here...this tells me that sometime soon a move is coming clearly  but who...….I'd vote Webb based on what we know now but could it be a trade for an OT and Ford by default is moved to RG as not playing well at tackle? ACK this is kind of maddening....

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agree to disagree. The Bills offensive line currently has the highest "win rate" in pass blocking of any offensive line in football. They have also paved the way for a consistently productive running game thus far. The Bills are 9th in the NFL in offensive yards gained this year. 

When you consider how historically bad the offensive line was last year, and you consider the fact that they changed out 4 of 5 starters in one offseason and have somehow still managed to produce pretty good offensive line play, you can only reasonably conclude that it was a well accomplished overhaul.

As for Ford: I agree that it's disappointing that he doesn't seem to have a future at right tackle. If he winds up being a dominant guard for a decade, though -- which it looks like he has the talent to be -- then I'm fine with the pick.

Any way you slice it, the Bills appear to have gotten four starting caliber players out of this draft (Oliver, Ford, Knox, and Singletary), two of whom (Oliver and Knox) have clear star potential. That's a good draft. No one hits on 100% of their draft picks (ask the great Bill Belichick), but Beane has been hitting on far more than he's been missing on.

During the 2006 season plenty of fans were pronouncing that year's draft as a foundational one and a few years later none of the players, save Kyle Williams were close to above average starters.  It's why I'm adamant people allow more than a few games to evaluate rookies.  The other issue to your argument is that DT, G, RB (along with LB) don't offer the positional value high in the draft unless it's an elite All-Pro type.  Oliver may be that guy, but it's early.   I like Knox, who plays a position Buffalo has eschewed for years.   

Re: Ford. It should be concerning that the decision makers thought he could, were willing to trade up for him, and assigned him a 1st round grade.  This is a team that traded up for Zay, Dawkins, and declined to take a QB in 2017.  Their decision making in the draft and via UFA on offense is at best so-so for '17 and '18 right now. 

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

During the 2006 season plenty of fans were pronouncing that year's draft as a foundational one and a few years later none of the players, save Kyle Williams were close to above average starters.  It's why I'm adamant people allow more than a few games to evaluate rookies.  The other issue to your argument is that DT, G, RB (along with LB) don't offer the positional value high in the draft unless it's an elite All-Pro type.  Oliver may be that guy, but it's early.   I like Knox, who plays a position Buffalo has eschewed for years.   

Re: Ford. It should be concerning that the decision makers thought he could, were willing to trade up for him, and assigned him a 1st round grade.  This is a team that traded up for Zay, Dawkins, and declined to take a QB in 2017.  Their decision making in the draft and via UFA on offense is at best so-so for '17 and '18 right now. 

Thanks for the reply. My only two responses would be:

1.) It's weird to say in the first paragraph that you're adamant that people allow some time before evaluating rookies, only to see you turn around and conclude that Ford was a "miss" by the front office. He's only four games into his career. Doesn't he deserve the same time to prove himself that you're "adamant" that others give to rookies?

2.) THIS front office -- the Brandon Beane led front office -- was not here in 2017. They did not draft Zay Jones or Dion Dawkins or pass on a quarterback. I would also say that Dawkins is an average to slightly above average left tackle at this point in his career. To say that he's a "miss" or a bust is erroneous, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not officially out yet, which is surprising at least to me 

I like the secrecy.  Make Tenn prepare for everything.   I think they hold Singletary out with the bye upcoming to make sure he is 100% all year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I like the secrecy.  Make Tenn prepare for everything.   I think they hold Singletary out with the bye upcoming to make sure he is 100% all year.  

Yep. I think they hold BOTH Singletary and Johnson out, given that they have hamstrings injuries (which are easy to re-aggravate) and a bye week coming up. 

The good news is that, so long as everyone stays healthy this Sunday (a big "if", I know), the Bills should return from the bye week in pretty good health.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

So what? Players get hurt every game..the Bills have not had anywhere close to the amount of serious injuries other teams have had since McDermott has been here...credit to his ovehaul of the strength and conditioning staff and their cutting edge methods to reduce injuries

I couldn't care less about the injuries that other teams have had.

Chalk up right next to that my level of credit or care to McD, who I like quite a bit, because frankly that doesn't have anything to do with the price of anything...anywhere.

I'm talking about the importance of that game coming up and the annoying tail that the previous game has had and its consequencs.

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Were you on the let's forfeit vs the PATs train?  If so then I guess you were right, but sorta irrational to specifically blame this injury to the PATs.

I will blame Josh Allen for not taking care of himself if he misses this game and Barkley plays poorly.

You are lost, Sir, on what I am saying.  And I honestly I don't know how to find you.

But, I guess back to my point...that game and those injuries, let's say regardless of who it was against because for some reason some are stuck on that when i am just talking about the loss and the injuries, were costly and puts this game in peril.  This very winnable game in peril.

I can explain it to some of you, but I cannot comprehend it for you.

I take that back.  That was insulting, and it was meant to be insulting.  However, it is not cool and not the way I like to carry myself.

Jobot, I left it up there, but crossed it out so you can see and I can just apologize to you directly.

I'm just moody after lunch and you didn't deserve that, at all.

Same, to matter2003, but I don't think I was being necessarily insulting in that response.  If I was, my apologies.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the reply. My only two responses would be:

1.) It's weird to say in the first paragraph that you're adamant that people allow some time before evaluating rookies, only to see you turn around and conclude that Ford was a "miss" by the front office. He's only four games into his career. Doesn't he deserve the same time to prove himself that you're "adamant" that others give to rookies?

2.) THIS front office -- the Brandon Beane led front office -- was not here in 2017. They did not draft Zay Jones or Dion Dawkins or pass on a quarterback. I would also say that Dawkins is an average to slightly above average left tackle at this point in his career. To say that he's a "miss" or a bust is erroneous, in my opinion.

1.  My conclusion is based on the coaching staff moving Ford inside during camp and that he hasn't won the position outright.  His snap count at OT has hovered at less than 50%, including the Cincinnati game when he played when Feliciano was injured.  It's logical to conclude, based on this evidence, that's he struggling to handle the position. 

2. Brandon Beane was effectively here, but there are those who seek to exempt him from decisions in '17 because he wasn't physically in the building until May.  I've pointed out (as have others) that Buffalo jumped in front of Carolina to take Dion Dawkins late in the second that year.  And guess who Carolina selected immediately after?  An offensive tackle.  Call it whatever you want, but by that point in the off-season the HC (who always has a plan) had an idea who he wanted to be GM.  McD had already made the decision that Whaley would never be his guy and it's logical to conclude Beane was his man.  It stands to reason he'd consult on personnel issues before an official announcement. 

19 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I couldn't care less about the injuries that other teams have had.

Chalk up right next to that my level of credit or care to McD, who I like quite a bit, because frankly that doesn't have anything to do with the price of anything...anywhere.

I'm talking about the importance of that game coming up and the annoying tail that the previous game has had and its consequencs.

You are lost, Sir, on what I am saying.  And I honestly I don't know how to find you.

But, I guess back to my point...that game and those injuries, let's say regardless of who it was against because for some reason some are stuck on that when i am just talking about the loss and the injuries, were costly and puts this game in peril.  This very winnable game in peril.

I can explain it to some of you, but I cannot comprehend it for you.

I take that back.  That was insulting, and it was meant to be insulting.  However, it is not cool and not the way I like to carry myself.

Jobot, I leave it up  there, but crossed out so you can see and I can just apologize to you directly.

I'm just moody after lunch and you didn't deserve that, at all.

Same, to matter2003, but I don't think I was being necessarily insulting in that response.

^^^^Agreed--it's not so much that the med-evacs happened against the Pats, but that they happened in the 1st place, and to vital cogs in our playoffs or bust machinery! That's just another gift that keeps on giving. But, if there's one additional noticeable difference between this year's squad versus last, it's that Beane has diligently spent assets to acquire depth at multiple positions, much of which is now being tested more than we'd like, but could mean all the difference between another 6-10 campaign or 10-6, which many here, myself included, have predicted as min # of wins to expect. On a side note, we all know you're cool D2D. After all, your avatar is the epitome of coolness! :beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

You're right, he got penalized a lot. Part of the reason is that he's a mean *****. He also happens to be the best blocking tight end in football. One game in which he made boneheaded mistakes do not cancel out the three previous games, where he was out there mauling people, protecting the QB, and opening big holes in the running game. I promise you, a Ford/Smith combo on the right side is going to keep Allen or Barkley's jersey cleaner than Ford on an island. If it comes with a penalty or two, so be it...it's better than watching the quarterback get driven into the turf by an unobstructed linebacker.

I hope you are right. He committed multiple false start penalties which were drive killers. Him being a mean **** has nothing to do with false starts. If Cody Ford cannot handle Brent Urban of the Titans one on one, he does not belong as a starter - his draft status notwithstanding. FWIW, I think Ford will be fine vs. Urban.

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

And they cut Connor McDermott, so come Sunday they will likely only have 2 healthy OTs in Ford and Dawkins... Bates can swing out to OT and inside, but he's a late round rookie, so there;s a lot of risk having him be your only OT backup on the roster. 

Bates is better than McDermott ever was so I wouldn’t worry about them cutting him