Cut or Keep in 2020?

Stallions

1.       Trent Murphy with 3 assisted tackles in 4 games.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1,750,000.  GONE

2.       Lee Smith signed a 3 year $9M contract this year.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1M. GONE

3.       Shaq Lawson is a UFA for 2020.  SIGN HIM

S-    Star Lotulelei signed a 5 YEAR $50m contract. His Dead Cap is $19M this year but drops to $8M in 2020.   KEEP HIM UNTIL 2021

Edited by Stallions
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other one they could get rid of next year with little cap hit is Kroft.  If Knox and Sweeney keep developing, think it may happen.

Actually think it may come down to him or Smith

He could be cut and never have played a down for the team.

He signed a 3 year, $18.75M contract with the Bills.  His Dead Cap in 2020 is only $1.6M.  He may just stay if he can play!!!

2 minutes ago, Stallions said:

He signed a 3 year, $18.75M contract with the Bills.  His Dead Cap in 2020 is only $1.6M.  He may just stay if he can play!!!

You need three TE active at least. Knox, Sweeney, and Kroft would be my choice. 

Murphy has been a huge disappointment this year. No health issues we know of and he is just a non impact player. Heck he is the weakest link on the entire defense .

• Like (+1) 1

Cut Murphy tomorrow for all I care. Dude does nothing for his team.

And I have no idea why Lee Smith gets so many snaps. He’s useless in the passing game and Knox is a good blocker in his own right.

Edited by Bangarang

Stars dead cap is $7.8M in 2020 but still is $5.2M in 2021...

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut in 2020

Murphy situation  is interesting ... he has been underwhelming so far this season, but Shaq is unlikely to be re-signed next season and they are thin at DE... Could see him being bought back to camp next year..

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Stars dead cap is $7.8M in 2020 but still is $5.2M in 2021...

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut in 2020

Murphy situation  is interesting ... he has been underwhelming so far this season, but Shaq is unlikely to be re-signed next season and they are thin at DE... Could see him being bought back to camp next year..

I am unsure Starr gets cut unless there is a significant up grade. It basically means the Dareus trade nets us about $32M in dead cap space. Never mind the fact that we paid Starr $10M the same year we ate $13M from MD. 

I think it’s too bad of a look for the FO to pull the trigger. We shall see. 

The decision on Murphy and Lotulelei depends a lot on how the draft falls.  Harrison Phillips should be back and should continue to grow and develop as a player, but physically he probably won't be 100% at the start o the season.  If you cut Lotulelei, you have to spend a fairly high draft pick on a nose tackle type.  Shaq Lawson may get ri-signed, but he won't come cheap.  Jerry Hughes is starting to get long in the tooth, and while Johnson is showing promise as a late round pick, it may be too early to decide if he can be a starter.  Many think DE will be a high draft priority for the Bills, but if they don't get one early enough, it might be safer to plan on keeping Murphy.  I don'ty think Buffalo is getting their money's worth out of Lee Smith, and his presence in the starting lineup limits opportunities for Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney to show what they've got.  As far as Kroft is concerned, I'd like to see what he can do when he's healthy, if he can actually get healthy.  If he can't, then I guess he makes the decision for you.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd like to see Murphy gone and Shaq Lawson re-signed.  Murphy is useless and Shaq is really starting to come into his own.  I'd also like to see Star gone, but that might create too many holes to fill so he will probably be back next year.

1 minute ago, Stallions said:

I think Darryl Johnson may push him to the bench!

Push Murphy to the bench?  I hope so, the bar is set low so I'm optimistic in Johnson being able to do that.

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd like to see Murphy gone and Shaq Lawson re-signed. 

It’s rare that players that get their 5th year option declined re-sign with the team that drafted them..

I recall reading an article that it has happened once in the last 5 years or so

Then there are players we signed to 1 year contracts.

Frank Gore

TJ Yeldon

Quinton Spain

Jordan Phillips

Lorenzo Alexander

Should we re-sign any of them?

Sorry if I didn't list all of the players. This was all I could remember.

Was Andre Roberts a 1 year signing?

Edited by Mark Vader

I love how our defense completely shut down the Pats and have kept us in all of our games, yet people are willing to write off two starters on our defensive line.  

Stop looking at individual stats and start looking at the overall team performance.  

We didn’t get a single sack on Brady last Sunday, so they sucked right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Frank Gore

TJ Yeldon

Quinton Spain

Jordan Phillips

Lorenzo Alexander

Phillips for sure.  I think he’s shown he deserves a long term deal 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Frank Gore

TJ Yeldon

Quinton Spain

Jordan Phillips

Lorenzo Alexander

Andre got a 2 year deal!