Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

With a week to prepare the Bills can beat TN with Barkley.  Barkley is a good enough QB to make this happen.  But this is not the preferred path. 

And for those that are touting Barkley's "stats" don't forget that NE went into prevent and gave the Bills those short passes.  As soon as Barley got to the Pats 40 on that last drive they shut it down with two straight incompletions and then an INT.  Guys like Barkley that check down for a living will move the ball and pile up stats against a prevent D.  However they seldom seem to get it into the end zone in 6 point games. 

The best 2 drives today were led by Allen and resulted in 10 points.  And in the name of keeping it real Barkley was lucky he didn't have a lost fumble and a 2nd INT today. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

Look I'm on board with the Allen will learn from his mistakes cliche but he did it last year.  He did it in preseason and let's face it we could have lost the Jet's, Bengals, and Pat's games all because he keeps doing it.  We are lucky to be 3 and 1 right now.  It is both a good and bad problem that we could be much better because we SHOULD be much better.  Allen needs to learn from todays game just like he needed to learn from last year, this preseason, the Jets, and the Bengals.  My question is when is he going to learn?  I'm not done with him.  I hope he's back next week.  Let's home he puts this turnover problem to bed, for good.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was a phenomenal catch. If someone did that for Allen it would have been a first. Not to mention that Barkley can lob the ball like that. He's decent if not good at it. But he cannot throw several throws an NFL QB must throw. 

It was also a PI, which you’ll sometimes get if the throw is catchable.

And yeah, Barkley doesn’t have an average arm but he also understands his limitations. He’s not a good QB (or even a good backup IMO) but I think he’ll be fine for a single game. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

With Matt Barkley? 

Disagree. He'll protect the football better, but I just can't see them putting up enough points to win.

Against Tennessee?  Unless Henry gets rolling there is no reason to think we'll need a bunch of points to win.  I don't think anyone thinks Barkley is the answer.  Allen needs to get his head right though.  He's hurting his team.

20 minutes ago, vincec said:

I hope so but he hasn't learned yet. This isn't the first game he's forced things.

Yes, but it is the first one in a while where the team lost.

Just like in life, it is easier to blow off poor habits when you are able to squeak out a win in the end.

The soul searching happens when you are not able to recover from the poor decisions.

Just now, WideNine said:

Yes, but it is the first one in a while where the team lost.

Just like in life, it is easier to blow off poor habits when you are able to squeak out a win in the end.

The soul searching happens when you are not able to recover from the poor decisions.

True enough. We'll see.

9 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Against Tennessee?  Unless Henry gets rolling there is no reason to think we'll need a bunch of points to win.  I don't think anyone thinks Barkley is the answer.  Allen needs to get his head right though.  He's hurting his team.

ummmm by hurting you mean leading them to 3 wins?

13 minutes ago, MDH said:

It was also a PI, which you’ll sometimes get if the throw is catchable.

And yeah, Barkley doesn’t have an average arm but he also understands his limitations. He’s not a good QB (or even a good backup IMO) but I think he’ll be fine for a single game. 

Yeah, I have been saying that since his good game last year. He can win a game for you. But if he has to play 3-4 he's at the bottom of the league. Granted, in 2019 there are not a lot of good backup QBs. I think he can help Josh. I'm okay with him as our backup. But he has severe limitations, which was why he was drafted in the fourth round even though he has 90% of the qualities you want in a QB. If you have a rag arm you cannot be good over time. That deossnt of course mean if you have a good arm you will be good. But fans don't often understand why guys like Peterman and Barkley and Kellen Moore cannot ever be good. If Kellen Moore had even a decent arm he likely would have been an Alex Smith kind of QB. But he didn't so he couldn't. Barkley is in that class. If he had 10% more arm he would be a valuable player. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

ummmm by hurting you mean leading them to 3 wins?

LOL ........... sure Allen won all 3 games by himself.  He's also had some great come from behind wins ........ because his turnovers put us behind.  Pats were the wake up call.  We could have easily lost in the Jets game and Bengals game for no other reason than Allen turns it over too much.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

With Matt Barkley? 

Disagree. He'll protect the football better, but I just can't see them putting up enough points to win.

With this defense that took Brady to the woodshed, that's pretty much all we have to do is protect the football. I believe Barkley is capable of putting up points

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

LOL ........... sure Allen won all 3 games by himself.  He's also had some great come from behind wins ........ because his turnovers put us behind.  Pats were the wake up call.  We could have easily lost in the Jets game and Bengals game for no other reason than Allen turns it over too much.

I pretty much agree with this. While his fourth quarter heroics have been terrific,his turnovers, if they keep going this way,Are not a sustainable way to keep winning games.

4 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I pretty much agree with this. While his fourth quarter heroics have been terrific,his turnovers, if they keep going this way,Are not a sustainable way to keep winning games.

today for Allen it seemed the moment was too big for him.

He can redeem himself in Marcia's house later in the season.

Just now, Best Player Available said:

today for Allen it seemed the moment was too big for him.

He can redeem himself in Marcia's house later in the season.

I’m still all in on Josh. If he can play next week, as far as I am concerned, he can redeem himself next week.

8 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Barkley made 1 big play in this game and otherwise didn't do squat.   He's a good backup but Bills will quickly see their limitations with him running offense.

If Barkley has to go, he will have a full week of practicing with the first string. This is significant for next week. However, I would still rather have Josh there