Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

I really don’t understand the “almost” cleared view of a few on here. You’re either completely cleared or you’re not. It’s like the old joke of “almost” pregnant. If he’s cleared, that means he’s fine to play. If he’s not cleared he’s not fine to play. 

7 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

That first quote from McDermott sounds like the gamesmanship that has been discussed, no?

it could be, it could also be he's not allowed to discuss anything at all about someone in the protocol under the NFL rules 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

That first quote from McDermott sounds like the gamesmanship that has been discussed, no?

Agreed. But I believe the league rules state that you can’t comment on someone who is technically in the protocol.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In case you've missed it, there is a claque here which believes Barkley is a better QB than Allen at this point because Reasons.

Not entirely sure what those Reasons are - my kindest interpretation is they believe Barkley is more careful with the ball, better able to read defenses, and has a quicker release and that this is more important than Allen's undeniably greater physical talents.  The basis for this belief is apparently last year's Jets win is believed to represent the real Barkley, while his 6 2016 starts in Chicago (8 TD, 14 INT, 4 fumbles) somehow represent an aberration that need not be considered.  The fact that in 1 Q of play vs NE, he was on track for something like 4 INTs and 4 fumbles when projected to an entire game also need not be considered.

It's true that Barkley is better able to read defenses at this point, and thus makes quicker decisions, but his arm strength is strictly limited.  Defenses are better able to read him, too.  I like Barkley, but anyone who thinks it's a Good Plan to sit Allen (if he's available) so Barkley can get it done is being selective with their cold hard football facts.

If the INC is truly independent, why would they buy in to gaming the system like that?

You say "Reasons" then proceed to list those exact reasons why people feel confident that Barkley can put up points with this offense.  Why do you wash away Barkley putting up 41 points last year, or having multiple 300 yard games with a craptastic Bears team, as if they're anomalies?  Allen's physical gifts come in handy when he needs to manufacture a heroic 4Q comeback.  With Barkley, the hope is that he doesn't make the boneheaded mistakes that we've seen Allen make in the first 3Qs that the comeback isn't needed.

Edited by GG

31 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If Allen is cleared...do you think he should still sit?  If so, why don't we just cut him...what is the point of sitting him if he is cleared?  Isn't the point of drafting him to play him?

we should sit him the rest of the year so he is 100% for the playoffs......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

it could be, it could also be he's not allowed to discuss anything at all about someone in the protocol under the NFL rules 

1 minute ago, Ta111 said:

Agreed. But I believe the league rules state that you can’t comment on someone who is technically in the protocol.

Gotcha. Wasn't aware there was a rule against commenting on players in concussion protocol. Thanks guys.

Hopefully, they plan on having him go through the required tests by the end of the day. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

You have to be cleared by the Bills and then the independent neurologists.  But they aren't performing different tests, so the Bills' neurologist will (or at least should) know beforehand if JA will clear the independent neurologist.  The Bills can not submit JA to the independent neurologist immediately, even though he already cleared the Bill's neurologist. Do you folllow? 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You have to be cleared by the Bills and then the independent neurologists.  But they aren't performing different tests, so the Bills' neurologist will (or at least should) know beforehand if JA will clear the independent neurologist.  The Bills can not submit JA to the independent neurologist immediately, even though he already cleared the Bill's neurologist. Do you folllow? 

How much time between the test with the team's doc and the independent neurologist?

7 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

How much time between the test with the team's doc and the independent neurologist?

this is not stated anywhere, in anything, that the NFL has made public...so unknown. I would guess it could happen immediately, but thats just my guess. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As others have noted it's pretty straight forward:

*  if Allen is cleared he plays.  It gives the best chance to win the game AND it helps us in the LONG RUN as every game Allen plays in makes him a better QB going forward.

*  If Allen isn't cleared we go with Barkley who is more then capable of leading us to victory against TN.

As an aside I have the same sense that others have noted that there is a small group of Bills fans who want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine and be the guy going forward.  This is NUTS IMO.  If Barkley plays and throws 5 TD passes it doesn't change a thing.  Allen starts against Miami.  If you want another 5 years of 7 - 9 to 9 - 7 seasons collapsing to 4 - 12 when the D runs out of gas hope that Barkley is better then Allen. 

If Allen isn't the guy, and I think he is, we're back to square one at QB.  Barkley isn't the guy no matter how well he plays Sunday if called upon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 hours ago, VW82 said:

It all depends how the message is delivered. McD is eminently capable of putting a positive spin on it; something along the lines of, "Great job on getting through the protocol so quickly. You're one tough MFer! Brian and I talked it over with Terry and Kim and we've decided to play it safe on this one and go with Matt this week. That was one hell of shot you took. You're the future of this team and we want to be 100% sure we're not jeopardizing that. Plus, if we're being honest that was a rough performance Sunday. There are some things we want you to work on with Brian over the bye -- footwork, reads -- so we come back strong vs. Miami. You're doing great, just keep working." 

If Josh can't handle an explanation like that and loses his confidence over it then perhaps we've all misjudged him. I think it's easier to get over the idea that you're being held back than going out there and failing before you're ready.   

You know the ole saying about putting lipstick on a pig...

Allen isn't an idiot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

You say "Reasons" then proceed to list those exact reasons why people feel confident that Barkley can put up points with this offense.  Why do you wash away Barkley putting up 41 points last year, or having multiple 300 yard games with a craptastic Bears team, as if they're anomalies?  Allen's physical gifts come in handy when he needs to manufacture a heroic 4Q comeback.  With Barkley, the hope is that he doesn't make the boneheaded mistakes that we've seen Allen make in the first 3Qs that the comeback isn't needed.

I don't wash away Barkley putting up 41 points against a bad Jets team last year, but when a guy has a multi-game body of work (Allen or Barkley) one shouldn't focus on one game or one aspect of those games.  You have an example of that latter last year: you mention Barkley having "multiple 300 yard games with a craptastic Bears team.  You fail to mention the fact that in Barkley's 3 - >300 yd games with the Bears, he also threw 10 interceptions (2, 3, and 5) and they lost each of those games.  So why do those games lead you to hope that "he doesn't make the boneheaded mistakes that we've seen Allen make (so that) the comeback isn't needed?"  He won't make the same boneheaded mistakes we've seen Allen make, he's better at reading Ds and getting the ball out quickly at this point in his career, but those aren't everything.  His physical limitations mean he'll make different mistakes with the same result.

One shouldn't dismiss Barkley's good game against the Jets, but neither can one wholly focus on it while dismissing the rest of Barkley's playing career.  There's a reason he's overall an under-60% completion guy with 10 career TDs and 19 career INTs.  I hope Barkley has honed his craft since 2016, but the fact is against a very strong NE D if you project what he did vs the Pats out to a full game, he too would have racked up a buttload of turnovers.

When the starter on a team struggles, the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town with some fans, but perception is not reality.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As others have noted it's pretty straight forward:

*  if Allen is cleared he plays.  It gives the best chance to win the game AND it helps us in the LONG RUN as every game Allen plays in makes him a better QB going forward.

*  If Allen isn't cleared we go with Barkley who is more then capable of leading us to victory against TN.

As an aside I have the same sense that others have noted that there is a small group of Bills fans who want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine and be the guy going forward.  This is NUTS IMO.  If Barkley plays and throws 5 TD passes it doesn't change a thing.  Allen starts against Miami.  If you want another 5 years of 7 - 9 to 9 - 7 seasons collapsing to 4 - 12 when the D runs out of gas hope that Barkley is better then Allen. 

If Allen isn't the guy, and I think he is, we're back to square one at QB.  Barkley isn't the guy no matter how well he plays Sunday if called upon.

Couldn’t of said it any better.

The people here who want Barkley to be better than Allen are mostly people who formed an opinion about Allen. Some of These posters are now more concerned with being right than with seeing their team succeed. 

Barkley is another version of Tyrod, Fitz, Holcomb...

I really think Allen can be a Rodgers, Farve, Big Ben type of player for years to come. 

If Allen is cleared he plays and we cheer him on to victory. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As an aside I have the same sense that others have noted that there is a small group of Bills fans who want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine and be the guy going forward. 

These fans you reference do not want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine. They want him to sit so they can say "I told you so." I'll never understand it, but there are just some fans that would like to see the team fail so they can explain they were right about not liking the Allen pick and the front office was wrong.

It makes no sense to me. That type of thinking is usually reserved for people like Jerry Sullivan and Tim Graham, who make a living off pointing out when someone at OBD did something wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

These fans you reference do not want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine. They want him to sit so they can say "I told you so." I'll never understand it, but there are just some fans that would like to see the team fail so they can explain they were right about not liking the Allen pick and the front office was wrong.

It makes no sense to me. That type of thinking is usually reserved for people like Jerry Sullivan and Tim Graham, who make a living off pointing out when someone at OBD did something wrong.

A.  Effing.  Men.