Josh Allen - Draft night retrospect

BringBackFergy

5 minutes ago, foreboding said:

No chance, Josh's physical gifts are too great. Even if he wasnt improving at the rate he is...he's the kind of qb that gets multiple chances. Whereas Rosen is a skinny, surly, mediocre arm guy. Nothing impressive.

I'm telling you, i think Rosen's ceiling is our excellent backup.

Who would you rather have, Barkley or Rosen?

Rosen. Every day. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'd really like to know who was behind the tweeting messaging that came out the day before the draft and what that was all about.  Was it only to hurt Allen?  Was it being done to drop him into a later pick by a team that wanted him?  I'd buy this book.

I think Allen was in the Mayfield, Darnold class and I figured these would be the first three selected.  Of these three I think Darnold was the safest pick, but safest isn't always the best pick.  Mayfield had the attitude.  Allen had the bigger upside.

Rosen was, is and always be a head case.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, foreboding said:

No chance, Josh's physical gifts are too great. Even if he wasnt improving at the rate he is...he's the kind of qb that gets multiple chances. Whereas Rosen is a skinny, surly, mediocre arm guy. Nothing impressive.

I'm telling you, i think Rosen's ceiling is our excellent backup.

Who would you rather have, Barkley or Rosen?

Clearly Barkley at this point.   Rosen still has a chance to be a decent QB but he has been in the worst situations.  

I never had a doubt Allen could be a good QB in the NFL myself.  But I also know that no matter how good a player may be in college, he may be the best player in every game he plays but in the NFL, your going against 11 other top pro players every week so your skills advantage is much less.  And that is what Josh has had to learn - to play within himself and he not try to do it all.  I think he's learning to rely on his teammates like they rely on him.   

• Like (+1) 1

My posts were tamer than I figured they would be. I didn't like the Allen pick on draft day. 

He's still got a long career ahead of him. He may become a HOFer or just another average QB. I think it's safe to say that his floor is pretty high and his ceiling is the highest.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I said last week I now think of the 2018 QBs he is the most likely to be a franchise Quarterback. 

I never run from my opinions. Never hide from what I thought. I do the work, I put the hours in and feel qualified to have a view. I always post my draft opinions (of Quarterbacks particularly but of other positions too) very clearly on this board and I never shy away from them. I didn't love Patrick Mahomes either. The huge ceiling questionable mechanics guys that are a bit boom and bust tend to frighten me more than they do others. One the flip side I loved Deshaun Watson and had a high 2nd rounder on Dak Prescott. Some you miss and some you hit that is life. 

The one thing I never do is refuse to adjust my view on how a guy will be in the pros based on his pro tape because I am still stuck on my view of how likely he was to succeed based on his college tape. You have to be open to changing your mind when the evidence changes. 

My re-post of your reaction was not to bash you...it was one of the first ones I saw where a person made a concrete projection re. the QB and the franchise. I know you do the work and are much more well versed in football than me. Your opinion was well based in your review of film and experience whereas many other reactions were simply based on " a feeling" or that which was fed to them over the course of several months. And I change my mind all the time. There's no way to tell who will succeed (Brady in the 6th?).  Part of the fun is making a projection and then seeing where it ends up. I personally think it's too early to call Allen a "franchise QB" in year two. Is he a refreshing "face of the franchise"? Yes

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s kinda fun to go back and review the analysis of our team and selection of Josh Allen on Draft night. Some members are still here...others literally packed up their things and left. 

And I’m not targeting Gunner here. He’s a smart fella and I respect his analysis. His reaction is tame compared to some in this archived thread. 

It’s still very early to judge these five QB’s but Josh Allen is doing about as good as could be expected (high floor, high ceiling) in his development. 

Go look at some of the youtubers that night, pretty funny stuff.

43 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

There is a definite contrast between the two. I'll always make no secret of the fact that I like Josh Rosen as a human being but I do understand why people within the football community, especially those from a more working-class background, might find him to be an unwelcome extension of some form of 'liberal elite'. There are seemingly many within the game that see his outside interests as a distraction but that isn't a new thing specifically for Mr Rosen. I remember the debate with Derek Carr a few years back, with some wondering if him being married with a kid at 22/23 was a bad thing. My main take from all of that is that you need to be a borderline sociopath to work in the NFL.

With Mr Allen, if you buy into the idea of him being some 'big, dumb white farm kid' then that's your prerogative. I think over the past year or so, he's proven himself to be far smarter than that idea. He's shown that he's willing to work hard for his craft (which is imperative) and he's shown himself to be a natural leader of men. There is a magnetism about the kid that is clear to see. His personality is far more endearing for a lot of people and he's more of a 'football guy', whatever the ***** that means.

...and he's handsome.

I can't wait to hear Aaron Shatz eat his words. The day is coming. And all those people at PFF, too. As soon as they start realizing they were wrong, please someone repost their original trash talk about Josh and pst in a thread like this.

I think I nailed it in that thread.  ^^

I was very worried we'd pick Allen, but when we did I took a deep breathe and remembered I don't get paid to make these decisions, so lets hope the ones who do actually know something,  before over reacting.

Josh has passed all my expectations already as I see him as a completely different QB then the one I thought I knew pre draft

Edited by ddaryl
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

...and he's handsome.

He's really not, though. He's a solid 6 and I probably wouldn't say no to the lad, he just doesn't have any features that get the juices flowing.

The only QB in that lauded class worth a damn is Baker. We would have beautiful dad bod babies.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Agreed. I think it just goes to show that instead of building hills to die on about these guys, we should have open conversations and let history do what it does- separate the men from the boys. 

It would be nice if more people did this in regards to all things in life.  The internet and everyone having the platform to constantly spout their opinion as fact leads to far more defending of hills just to not admit you were wrong than needed.  It creates unnecessary division and detracts from what the vast majority of us all want.   In this case... A Super Bowl winning QB.  

There's nothing wrong with being ..wrong.   The only people that are never wrong are the ones who never have an opinion.   It reminds me of a quote... The more I learn, the less I realize I know.     In this case, I don't watch much college ball, so I'm a victim of falling for people's draft opinions here (and the tv pundits - although I find posters here to usually be more thorough and knowledgeable). I was thinking Rosen would be best, but no way we get him.  Mayfield is who I was hoping for.  Darnold 3rd.   Interestingly, my feeling on them is almost completely reveresed now.   Mayfield seems to be a rpo guy, and I'm not convinced has much more.   Allen... I wasn't even thinking of him.  Figured no way he'd go in round 1!   Shows you what I know about the draft!   LOL.   

At this point, I'm completely behind the decision and feel we definitely got the right guy for our team.   I was gonna buy his Jersey.. But man I can't put that curse on him!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

He's really not, though. He's a solid 6 and I probably wouldn't say no to the lad, he just doesn't have any features that get the juices flowing.

The only QB in that lauded class worth a damn is Baker. We would have beautiful dad bod babies.

I am partial to a bit of Mason Rudolph too. 

If I am the Bills O coordinator I tell Allen " take the sack or throw it away! do not throw into double coverage"  then I would try to run the ball and do PA passing.

On D try get my 4 man rush to get to Brady, I know if I blitz I die. Brady been (again) killing it when he is blitzed.  I also put my best CB on Edelman and double Gordon and PRAY Dorsett and white dont kill us. 

I have gone from depressed with the pick to a very pleased and hopeful supporter. But I don't know that JA has as yet proved the critics wrong. I think we'll have a pretty clear picture by early December. In any case, he's not at all the disaster I feared he'd be. Just the opposite.