Josh Allen - Draft night retrospect

BringBackFergy

It’s kinda fun to go back and review the analysis of our team and selection of Josh Allen on Draft night. Some members are still here...others literally packed up their things and left. 

And I’m not targeting Gunner here. He’s a smart fella and I respect his analysis. His reaction is tame compared to some in this archived thread. 

It’s still very early to judge these five QB’s but Josh Allen is doing about as good as could be expected (high floor, high ceiling) in his development. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, downunderbill said:

Even when we know everything, we don't.

Admittedly, I know very little about football scouting. I suppose Beane and McDermott are better at evaluating players and their “fit” with the team. If they want to go fly fishing, I can help them with that. 

• Like (+1) 3

GM’s who have mountains of information on the college qbs coming out are often wrong so why would we think folks on a message board would fair any better. Its best to avoid making definitive statements because in reality the paid professionals with access to mountains of information and surrounded by other experienced scouts still get it wrong all too often. 

• Like (+1) 4

I was on board from that first phone call from Beane. Not sure what it was exactly, but there was a familiarity between them, and Josh's response sounded sincere. It sounded like this was the plan all along, and Josh was in on it.

Beane: "you ready to be a Bill?"

Josh: "yes sir!"

me: "this kid gets it"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I suspect if we had a record of what everyone thought about Allen or any other draft pick ever at the time they were drafted, most of us would be wrong most of the time.

For my part, the night of the draft, I was on the phone with my son. We both wanted Rosen; however, we would have been ok with Allen. There was an intial disappointment; however, after that, we both said we trusted this FO and never gave Rosen another thought. Every post I ever wrote from that point was pro Allen.

The FO was right.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't have a post to show it, but I was on the "ANYONE BUT ALLEN" train all draft process. Loved Mayfield and Lamar Jackson. 

I am 100 percent turned around and LOVE our boy and would choose him over every QB in that draft. 

I don't think he is anywhere near a finished product, and he could still turn out to be a bust...but as of right now, I am all in on the Allen train and am THRILLED to have been wrong about him. 

(for the record, I also LOVED Mahomes and thought he would be a stud. I harbor no ill will of this regime - McD - for passing on taking a QB because he felt ill equipped to make that huge decision in that draft, and I love having Tre and the picks it turned into....and Mahomes probably would have failed miserably here...but I did love that kid coming out and still do)

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not sure if i posted in that thread..but i wanted Lamar at 12 and no trade ups. If not that I wanted Rosen if we traded up. I was not a fam of the pick to say it mildly

My head was spinning that night. There was so much info out there, leaks and smokescreens, I had no idea who we would pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wasn't thrilled with Rosen's size or his mouth, but after Mayfield and Darnold went I figured he was the choice.  Reluctantly.  

Then the Bills traded up and something clicked in my head.  I found myself thinking, almost screaming, "take the big arm, take the big arm."  I was really excited.wjen the pick happened. 

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Now that WAS dumb.  HOORAY!!!  Bills trade up for Russell Wilso -  WHHAAA?  TJ Graham?

He ain't no Jeff George.  We know that already.  

• Like (+1) 4

I remember being more pissed that we gave up both of our 2nd Round picks for a guy I thought would have been there at #12. I was wrong of course. Read reports after the draft that he wouldn't have made it much further and that other teams were looking to move up for him as well.