WGR’s Nate Geary Sounds OFF on Over-Dramatic Bills Fans

19 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

After suffering through Schopp and Bulldog‘S post game show, I kept listening to WGR to hear the Overtime Show with Nate Geary and Joe DiBiase.

The first thing that Nate did was criticize complaining Bills fans - mostly the ones on Twitter - though you see a lot of the same comments here.

Specially he called out fans that are extremists and turn on the team on the drop of a hat.  Fans are pumped about the Bills, but as soon as they blow a lead it’s “Same old Bills” or “It’s over.”

Joe said he gets it because the Bills have Depressing a lot for the past 2 decades.  But Nate’s point is that the majority of the Bills roster are 2nd or 3rd year players who are still learning to win.  

Said that the Bills have never drafted a QB 7th overall and that fans need to give him time and be realistic.  

Also said some of the “toxic” comments on Bills Twitter are unbelievable.

It’s a great listen:

Maybe he read the game day thread here.

It was like trying the reason with a woman who's suffering really bad PMT. 

"I love you"

"Why haven't you emptied the ***** dishwasher"

"Sorry I got cranky"

"What the ***** are you doing? I wanted a hug, not sex!"

"Can we make up now?"

Edited by RobbRiddick

Some people here have missed the original point.  Nate’s rant was all about the members of the Bills fan base that turn on the team on a dime.

Case and point - everyone was pumped about Josh Allen after the Week 2 win against NYG.  But as soon as he threw that terrible INT, there were people saying “he f’n sucks” or “Josh Allen is terrible.”

Same thing with Beane and McDermott.  Fans will be signing their praises one minute and the moments that things go bad, they’re like “Beane destroyed this roster!  We should have Marcel, Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.  We should have drafted Pat Mahomes”

Or in the game on Sunday, when the defense played lights out in the first half, and gave up a TD on a long drive some fans were like “the defense sucks.  Here we go again.”

Nate is spot on - Bills fans are completely reactionary and sometimes out of touch when talking about the team.

its either the Bills are the greatest or the worst team ever - all depending on the play

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t listen to WGR as I live in Indiana, but if I were I’d rather hear players after the game.  That said, Geary is absolutely right.  Go back and read some of the in game comments by some on this board.  Hysteria puts it mildly.

LOL you can’t listen on your phone or any internet enabled device with the Radio.com app.  I think you’d like the Bills coverage

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Not really.  He’s getting paid some fat coin to talk Bills on the radio.  I’d take his job

Fat coin?!  Figure out why the producers are often churning into other industries.  The funniest and best producer at 550 was Greg Bauch, and he left for a job at ‘the Talking Phone Book’.  Unless you’re Geary (and based upon some of your threads started, you might be) I doubt you have an accurate read on what he is making.

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Some people here have missed the original point.  Nate’s rant was all about the members of the Bills fan base that turn on the team on a dime.

Case and point - everyone was pumped about Josh Allen after the Week 2 win against NYG.  But as soon as he threw that terrible INT, there were people saying “he f’n sucks” or “Josh Allen is terrible.”

Same thing with Beane and McDermott.  Fans will be signing their praises one minute and the moments that things go bad, they’re like “Beane destroyed this roster!  We should have Marcel, Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.  We should have drafted Pat Mahomes”

Or in the game on Sunday, when the defense played lights out in the first half, and gave up a TD on a long drive some fans were like “the defense sucks.  Here we go again.”

Nate is spot on - Bills fans are completely reactionary and sometimes out of touch when talking about the team.

its either the Bills are the greatest or the worst team ever - all depending on the play

LOL you can’t listen on your phone or any internet enabled device with the Radio.com app.  I think you’d like the Bills coverage

Us old folks don’t understand that new fangled stuff!

A couple of weeks ago, one of the WGR kiddie corp on Saturday Sports Talk was yelling(I mean yelling) into the mic, something about Matthew McConaughy.  Not sure what he was trying to do?  How about get the basics down before you work on your Steven A Smith, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd, etc... impersonation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

The worst offender of all is Sal Maiorana from the Rochester D and C.     He's the new Jerry Sullivan. 

Unbelievably cynical and depressing. 

One guy on this board was upset that we haven't had a 300 yard passer in years.

Just had a huge home opener win to remain undefeated and he went online and posted a new topic on how embarrassed he is.

Some people.....

His Yankee and Cub takes on Twitter are absolutely the worst. His fan card should be revoked for coming across as such a bitter crumrudgeon that roots for a team with 27 rings and has not had a losing season in over 27 years.  Add in the Cubs recent success and he's truly unbearable.  

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

A couple of weeks ago, one of the WGR kiddie corp on Saturday Sports Talk was yelling(I mean yelling) into the mic, something about Matthew McConaughy.  Not sure what he was trying to do?  How about get the basics down before you work on your Steven A Smith, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd, etc... impersonation.

90% of these hosts nowadays wouldn’t have been doormen or janitors for radio stations years ago.  Lousy pipes, poor diction, uninformed.  The corporations love them since they work cheaply.

9 hours ago, zonabb said:

The day I start a) listening to a couple kids act like experts and b) let them explain how we should react as fans is the day I end being cogent, rational thinker. Yes the extremes are annoying.... the rose colored glasses homer loaded with excuses and what if's and the "they'll always suck because they're the Bills... but the BIlls fandom is exactly like American politics, dominated by the ends with the middle too busy and more rational and hence staying out of the conversation. The call in shows are the ends. Unlistenable in post game on the drive home when they go to callers. Music time at that point.

ok so they are “kids” to you, but many of the broadcasters you listened to back in the day got their start at around the same age.  

Regardless, the age doesn’t change the fact he made a great point.  Bills fans can be overly-emotional and overly-dramatic and will turn on the team in a drop of a hat...or drop of a pass!

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Fat coin?!  Figure out why the producers are often churning into other industries.  The funniest and best producer at 550 was Greg Bauch, and he left for a job at ‘the Talking Phone Book’.  Unless you’re Geary (and based upon some of your threads started, you might be) I doubt you have an accurate read on what he is making.

hey The Talking Phone Book sounds like a great gig!!!!?????

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Maybe he read the game day thread here.

It was like trying the reason with a woman who's suffering really bad PMT. 

"I love you"

"Why haven't you emptied the ***** dishwasher"

"Sorry I got cranky"

"What the ***** are you doing? I wanted a hug, not sex!"

"Can we make up now?"

What is this PMT that you speak of??

21 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

After suffering through Schopp and Bulldog‘S post game show, I kept listening to WGR to hear the Overtime Show with Nate Geary and Joe DiBiase.

The first thing that Nate did was criticize complaining Bills fans - mostly the ones on Twitter - though you see a lot of the same comments here.

Specially he called out fans that are extremists and turn on the team on the drop of a hat.  Fans are pumped about the Bills, but as soon as they blow a lead it’s “Same old Bills” or “It’s over.”

Joe said he gets it because the Bills have Depressing a lot for the past 2 decades.  But Nate’s point is that the majority of the Bills roster are 2nd or 3rd year players who are still learning to win.  

Said that the Bills have never drafted a QB 7th overall and that fans need to give him time and be realistic.  

Also said some of the “toxic” comments on Bills Twitter are unbelievable.

It’s a great listen:

I have been living and dying with this team since 1972. I have seen a lot more bad years than good...I want them to win, as much as anyone... but at this point, I just try to take it one game at a time...enjoy the wins when we get them, and try not to get too down when they lose...it wasn't always that way.  I don't accept losing, I just accept that I have no control over it, so just pray for the best, and enjoy the hell out the ebbs and flows of the season.  I think this years 3-0 team is better than the 2011 3-0 team...but I am mindful that I probably thought that team was going to go far too.  I used to soak up every article, every bit of NFL coverage I could find...now I just try to enjoy Sundays (win or lose) and enjoy hanging out with like-minded friends, and drinking a few pops.  I got nothing against Schop & Bulldog (I may be one of the few who actually like Schop), but you couldn't have worst hosts for the post-game show.  They take no joy in anything...it is just a drag to listen to.  I don't mind criticism, and I don't mind a little "rah-rah"...but for christ sake, a win is a win...our culture just oversaturates us with everything... too much of anything, even the things we love, is not necessarily a good thing.  This instant need to quantify the level of a win, or loss, is just a miserable way to experience the season...

i really like GR on Mondays in football season, especially during my 8 hour ride home! But today had a friend some Richmopnd with me, so only listedned to first hour on demand when he  had a call to make and i stuck one earbud in.

There were actually two callers in a row today to Howard Simon that said the Bills don't have the killer attitude cause Try White did not try to to return the pick late in the game. One guy said Belichick would never allow that, and thats what seperates the Pats and Bills.

Howard indulged these two idiots..if it it was me i would not have been so nice. I mean can a fan of football really be this freaking dumb? 

Edited by plenzmd1

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I have been living and dying with this team since 1972. I have seen a lot more bad years than good...I want them to win, as much as anyone... but at this point, I just try to take it one game at a time...enjoy the wins when we get them, and try not to get too down when they lose...it wasn't always that way.  I don't accept losing, I just accept that I have no control over it, so just pray for the best, and enjoy the hell out the ebbs and flows of the season.  I think this years 3-0 team is better than the 2011 3-0 team...but I am mindful that I probably thought that team was going to go far too.  I used to soak up every article, every bit of NFL coverage I could find...now I just try to enjoy Sundays (win or lose) and enjoy hanging out with like-minded friends, and drinking a few pops.  I got nothing against Schop & Bulldog (I may be one of the few who actually like Schop), but you couldn't have worst hosts for the post-game show.  They take no joy in anything...it is just a drag to listen to.  I don't mind criticism, and I don't mind a little "rah-rah"...but for christ sake, a win is a win...our culture just oversaturates us with everything... too much of anything, even the things we love, is not necessarily a good thing.  This instant need to quantify the level of a win, or loss, is just a miserable way to experience the season...

“One game at a time” is a great way to look at things.  Again the type of fans Nate was referring to, are the ones who talk about winning the AFC East from the Patriots one minute and then are saying how bad McDermott sucks as a coach the next.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Not really.  He’s getting paid some fat coin to talk Bills on the radio.  I’d take his job

Fat coin ? yeah I'm sure he's raking in the dough with his part-time wgr gig.

Regardless, whatever little bit he's making as a part-time small market radio blowhard is more than he's worth so kudos to him for that I guess.