Thursday Night Football Tampa at Car, NFL Network

RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, eball said:

I watched most of the 4th quarter and was really shocked by Newton's play.  He looked terrible.  Tampa was getting good pressure but Cam didn't even try to use his legs.  He was throwing off his back foot and horribly inaccurate.  Samuel got free numerous times for what could have been huge plays with even an average throw.  It's telling that with the game on the line at 4th and 1 from the 2-yard-line they took the ball out of Cam's hands.  I don't care how good McCaffrey is, if you have a star QB you always want him with the ball in that situation.

The Panthers are in trouble.

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Panthers have now lost 10 of the last 11 games dating back to last season. 

and the Rams struggled with them last week tight? I saw zero of that game...but bares watching how Goff does this week agasint the Saints...Gurley and Goff may both be massive mistakes 

48 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

For all the nonsense about Josh Allen being "inaccurate"... good god. Cam Newton made him look like Brady. 

Remember Newton running his jaw at the joint practice, where Ed Oliver was looking at him as if to say “what’s with that guy?!”  Karma, readers, karma.  ?

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and the Rams struggled with them last week tight? I saw zero of that game...but bares watching how Goff does this week agasint the Saints...Gurley and Goff may both be massive mistakes 

I am entirely off the Gurley train. Goff I’ll be judging more as the season goes on. Definitely a tough test this week for them. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think this os a problem in many areas...people are staying home. Bills ain't exactly selling tickets like they have in the past either.

For this game in particular, home game on Sunday, back again 4 days later, weather looked awful early, work/school night., I can understand a bit of the uppers being empty.

But man to see the lowers bowl between the 20's half empty early in the 4th was jarring

This is an issue with what the NFL experience has become. What kind of atmosphere do Panthers home games have ? There’s just nothing about the experience that would make me want to attend as a Panthers fan. Compare the sterile environment of many NFL stadiums with big time college football, and it’s easy to see why people stay home. Additionally, Charlotte never had much of a non bandwagon fan base to begin with. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

You’re both right.  In 2018 there were 13 games as part of the Thursday Night Football franchise.  Of those, 7 were decided by 14 points or more.  Of the other 6, four were decided by 4 points or less.

In other words, no better or worse than NFL games generally...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think this os a problem in many areas...people are staying home. Bills ain't exactly selling tickets like they have in the past either.

For this game in particular, home game on Sunday, back again 4 days later, weather looked awful early, work/school night., I can understand a bit of the uppers being empty.

But man to see the lowers bowl between the 20's half empty early in the 4th was jarring

Can’t blame them. I can’t blame Bills fans that stay home either. I know it’s the “atmosphere” and it’s good to experience for sure. But for the same cost as those two tickets you can throw a party and recreate some of the atmosphere. Or just stay at home on your couch with your significant other and have access to a private bathroom, a fridge full of beef, and whatever menu of food you want. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I watched most of the 4th quarter and was really shocked by Newton's play.  He looked terrible.  Tampa was getting good pressure but Cam didn't even try to use his legs.  He was throwing off his back foot and horribly inaccurate.  Samuel got free numerous times for what could have been huge plays with even an average throw.  It's telling that with the game on the line at 4th and 1 from the 2-yard-line they took the ball out of Cam's hands.  I don't care how good McCaffrey is, if you have a star QB you always want him with the ball in that situation.

The Panthers are in trouble.

Sadly I think Cam might be done. I have been a fan and defended him numerous times but like Andrew Luck he has taken such a battering I think his body may be failing him. It is something the Texans want to watch closely with Watson and the Bills want to watch closely with Josh. The guys that last in this league are still the ones that stand in the pocket and get rid of the ball. There is also something about the disgusting treatment to which Cam has been subject (and Luck was too) by officials. Just because a guy is big and moves about does not mean late cheapshots on him are permissable.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This is an issue with what the NFL experience has become. What kind of atmosphere do Panthers home games have ? There’s just nothing about the experience that would make me want to attend as a Panthers fan. Compare the sterile environment of many NFL stadiums with big time college football, and it’s easy to see why people stay home. Additionally, Charlotte never had much of a non bandwagon fan base to begin with. 

Just like Atlanta—it’s college football country.  NFL is a distant second.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sadly I think Cam might be done. I have been a fan and defended him numerous times but like Andrew Luck he has taken such a battering I think his body may be failing him. It is something the Texans want to watch closely with Watson and the Bills want to watch closely with Josh. The guys that last in this league are still the ones that stand in the pocket and get rid of the ball. There is also something about the disgusting treatment to which Cam has been subject (and Luck was too) by officials. Just because a guy is big and moves about does not mean late cheapshots on him are permissable.

Yeah, this is a tough thing to deal with.  I think it's why the Bills are so focused upon getting Josh better in the pocket.  Sometimes I think QBs like Cam make it more difficult on themselves because they are taking on tacklers rather than sliding/giving themselves up in the open field.  Josh did that last year also and needs to stop.  I don't think the officiating will change because I believe the league's view is that some of these QBs essentially make themselves RBs and therefore the rules on hitting QBs don't apply.

Just now, eball said:

Yeah, this is a tough thing to deal with.  I think it's why the Bills are so focused upon getting Josh better in the pocket.  Sometimes I think QBs like Cam make it more difficult on themselves because they are taking on tacklers rather than sliding/giving themselves up in the open field.  Josh did that last year also and needs to stop.  I don't think the officiating will change because I believe the league's view is that some of these QBs essentially make themselves RBs and therefore the rules on hitting QBs don't apply.

The rules on late hits and hits to the head still apply. Yes - they are no long entitled to the extra protections.... but it is like once a big QB is out of the pocket he doesn't even get the same protections that running backs and receivers get. Refs are bad at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's sad to watch the end of Cam's career.  It reminds me of Kelly's last season when suddenly he couldn't make certain throws and defensive coordinators became aware of it.  In Newton's case it's worse because BOTH his am AND his legs are failing.  D-coordinators no longer fear cam's mobility which means they can sell out to stop CMAC.  It's a testament to McCaffrey that he's been as productive as he's been the last 10 games facing this situation.

Of course it would be unfair to put this all on Cam.  With one of the best TE's & RB's in the NFL; solid WR's and a QB that can still execute at 80% the Panthers should be able to field an offense that can win games like last night.  The biggest problem facing Carolina is their offensive line.  It is beyond horrible.  What good is an O-line when it can't run block OR pass block.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yet another reason Quarterbacks absolutely MUST be able to succeed from the pocket.

It's not rare to see a rookie/young QB have success running the ball, just like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen did last year.

But eventually defenses start gearing-up to stop the run, and that's when it's up to the QB to start having success through the air.

Cam Newton has been a rare case, because he's continued to get 100+ carries every single season.  And the Panthers have always used his rushing ability as a key piece to their offensive attack.  They never had a problem running him into the teeth of the defense, just like a Running Back.  It worked much longer than most would have expected.  But now in Cam's 9th season, it's clearly caught-up to him.  And without being a dual threat, Cam is just an average passer.  

Like you said, I really hope Buffalo's coaching staff is paying attention.  I definitely don't want the Bills to completely take away Allen's running ability.  But I would prefer they use a Russell Wilson approach, where he still does his best to avoid hits (sliding, getting out of bounds, etc.)  It's also key to keep a strong offensive line in front of him -- which is the mistake the Colts realized too late with Andrew Luck, and what the Texans are unfortunately doing wrong with Deshaun Watson.

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Yet another reason Quarterbacks absolutely MUST be able to succeed from the pocket.

It's not rare to see a rookie/young QB have success running the ball, just like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen did last year.

But eventually defenses start gearing-up to stop the run, and that's when it's up to the QB to start having success through the air.

Cam Newton has been a rare case, because he's continued to get 100+ carries every single season.  And the Panthers have always used his rushing ability as a key piece to their offensive attack.  They never had a problem running him into the teeth of the defense, just like a Running Back.  It worked much longer than most would have expected.  But now in Cam's 9th season, it's clearly caught-up to him.  And without being a dual threat, Cam is just an average passer.  

Like you said, I really hope Buffalo's coaching staff is paying attention.  I definitely don't want the Bills to completely take away Allen's running ability.  But I would prefer they use a Russell Wilson approach, where he still does his best to avoid hits (sliding, getting out of bounds, etc.)  It's also key to keep a strong offensive line in front of him -- which is the mistake the Colts realized too late with Andrew Luck, and what the Texans are unfortunately doing wrong with Deshaun Watson.

The Panthers other than the run their Superbowl year have not had great Olines either. 

injuries have really destroyed Newton

This is another reason I want to see Allen take fewer hits... the Panthers used Newton like another RB for years and he took an absolute pounding. Now he is a shell of the "superman" he was. And Newton is built like someone from an Avengers movie. Still, the hits add up. Stuff breaks and tears.

That's why Brady, a scrawny 43 year old yoga guy who stretches instead of doing weights and eats nothing but avacado and beets, can play forever and never drop off at all: he almost never gets hit unless his coaches want to get cute and send him out for passes. That NEARLY ended his season last year when he injured his MCL tripping over his own 2 feet trying to catch a freaking pass.

This year he will just take the snap and throw the ball before any DL is even out of his stance. The games are just warm up for his hot yoga routines and rustic vegetable medley dinners. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

YE OLE has not followed Carolina as closely as he should (given that we seem to be Carolina North these days). That said, YE was shocked to read that this game made for the 8th consecutive start that "Carolina" Cam Newton has lost, dating back to week 10 of last season.

Granted, there's probably more issues going on with the Panthers, but one can only imagine the scene around here if Josh Allen lost his next 8 starts. The folks would be out with pitchforks saying things like "What we have here is a parody of an NFL QB trying to lead a parody of an NFL team." Hopefully we've turned the corner from all that jazz, gents!